XP 'hangs' on shutdown

Hi

Has anyone had experience of XP 'hanging' on shutdown after playing WoW?
I say 'hang' because sometimes my pc just doesn't turn off, although I
have no error messages and I can move the mouse around. The only way to
power off seems to be by pressing the PC's power button.
My PC is an Athlon 64 3800+, 1Gb Ram and Gigabyte GA-8KNXP-SLI M/B.

Jason
8 answers Last reply
More about hangs shutdown

    I must say i've had that happen to me on a couple of occasions. These
    were times when i'd been playing for 6 hours or so. I too had to
    manually power off.

    Jimbob ytrede sig i
    <1119117192.130734.84950@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com> med dette:

    >I must say i've had that happen to me on a couple of occasions. These
    >were times when i'd been playing for 6 hours or so. I too had to
    >manually power off.

    Happens to me too, when playing more than 5 hours, and I've heard more
    people complain about it.
    --
    Allan Stig Kiilerich Frederiksen
    "When you try to change a mans paradigm, you must keep in mind that he

    > Hi
    >
    > Has anyone had experience of XP 'hanging' on shutdown after playing WoW?
    > I say 'hang' because sometimes my pc just doesn't turn off, although I
    > have no error messages and I can move the mouse around. The only way to
    > power off seems to be by pressing the PC's power button.
    > My PC is an Athlon 64 3800+, 1Gb Ram and Gigabyte GA-8KNXP-SLI M/B.
    >
    > Jason

    Very rarely after playing and I quit the game, a image of the game stays on
    the screen and I can't do anything except press the reset button, no mouse
    to move around. I regularly play for extended time and exit the game, but
    it doesnt happen that often.

    Also very rarely again, when I alt tab out it will restart the computer, it
    doesnt seem to be overheating, and it has never restarted whilst in-game,
    which would likely mean bad power supply or graphics card not getting enough
    power.

    Jesse Roos ytrede sig i <zRKdnQ8w9a9aPCjfUSdV9g@ptd.net> med dette:

    >Doesn't happen to me, whats your page file (virutal memory settings) set to?
    >I would suggest changing it to system managed if it's set to anything else.

    That's the worst setting one can have. It's way better to let it have a
    fixed size, and make sure that size is large enough, or if the amount of
    RAM is 1GB or above, then to drop having any SWAP file (unless you are
    using the comp for video and image editing a lot).

    A friend of mine kept saying that 1.5x RAM was right for the swap file.
    Then I pursuaded him to try dropping the swap file completly, since he's
    got 2GB RAM. WoW hasn't hung since, it's starting faster, having less
    lag (when entering new zones), and it's in general just preforming
    better.

    When you let the system manage the size, you'll just risk having a
    fragmented swap file, and that's really a preformance killer.
    --

    On Sat, 18 Jun 2005 17:34:51 GMT, Jase <jase71@msn.com> wrote:

    >Hi
    >
    >Has anyone had experience of XP 'hanging' on shutdown after playing WoW?
    >I say 'hang' because sometimes my pc just doesn't turn off, although I
    >have no error messages and I can move the mouse around. The only way to
    >power off seems to be by pressing the PC's power button.
    >My PC is an Athlon 64 3800+, 1Gb Ram and Gigabyte GA-8KNXP-SLI M/B.
    >
    >Jason

    Out of interest, how many of you and the people who have responded
    have mods/plug-ins plug ins etc such as cosmos etc?

    I run a vanilla install and have no problems. A friend seems addicted
    to these mods and seems to have more problems. It may be a coincidence
    - but ...?

    Just a thought.
    Cheers

    Justin Thompson ytrede sig i
    <8gvcb1d3t9f8943qtvkan20u9pgu59pmq7@4ax.com> med dette:

    >On Sat, 18 Jun 2005 17:34:51 GMT, Jase <jase71@msn.com> wrote:
    >
    >>Hi
    >>
    >>Has anyone had experience of XP 'hanging' on shutdown after playing WoW?
    >>I say 'hang' because sometimes my pc just doesn't turn off, although I
    >>have no error messages and I can move the mouse around. The only way to
    >>power off seems to be by pressing the PC's power button.
    >>My PC is an Athlon 64 3800+, 1Gb Ram and Gigabyte GA-8KNXP-SLI M/B.
    >>
    >>Jason
    >

    >Out of interest, how many of you and the people who have responded
    >have mods/plug-ins plug ins etc such as cosmos etc?
    >
    >I run a vanilla install and have no problems. A friend seems addicted
    >to these mods and seems to have more problems. It may be a coincidence
    >- but ...?

    I do have some CT-mods, but I've had the problem before I installed any
    mods.
    --

    ASKF wrote:
    > Justin Thompson ytrede sig i
    > <8gvcb1d3t9f8943qtvkan20u9pgu59pmq7@4ax.com> med dette:
    >

    >>On Sat, 18 Jun 2005 17:34:51 GMT, Jase <jase71@msn.com> wrote:
    >>

    >>>Hi
    >>>
    >>>Has anyone had experience of XP 'hanging' on shutdown after playing WoW?
    >>>I say 'hang' because sometimes my pc just doesn't turn off, although I
    >>>have no error messages and I can move the mouse around. The only way to
    >>>power off seems to be by pressing the PC's power button.
    >>>My PC is an Athlon 64 3800+, 1Gb Ram and Gigabyte GA-8KNXP-SLI M/B.
    >>>
    >>>Jason
    >>

    >>Out of interest, how many of you and the people who have responded
    >>have mods/plug-ins plug ins etc such as cosmos etc?
    >>
    >>I run a vanilla install and have no problems. A friend seems addicted
    >>to these mods and seems to have more problems. It may be a coincidence
    >>- but ...?
    >

    > I do have some CT-mods, but I've had the problem before I installed any
    > mods.

    No mods on my system... I've turned DEP off for WoW just to see if it
    helps...
    Its no big problem really, WoW doesn't crash during play, so maybe its
    just somethnig i'll have to get use to......

    Just as an aside, I think WoW is the best game i've played in years!!!

    Jason

    "Jase" <jase71@msn.com> wrote in message
    > Hi
    >
    > Has anyone had experience of XP 'hanging' on shutdown after
    > playing WoW?
    > I say 'hang' because sometimes my pc just doesn't turn off,
    > although I have no error messages and I can move the mouse around.
    > The only way to power off seems to be by pressing the PC's power
    > button.
    > My PC is an Athlon 64 3800+, 1Gb Ram and Gigabyte GA-8KNXP-SLI
    > M/B.
    >
    > Jason

    It happens to me fairly often. Sometimes it reboots instead of
    shutting down.

    I'm not running any mods either, just Norton Internet Security 2005
    in the background with its settings specced as per the Blizzard
    website.

    ---Stash

    "Political Correctness is just inverted McCarthyism."
    -- Dennis Miller

    SPAM FILTER:
    You'd have to be out of YourMind to send me email.

Shutdown Windows XP Video Games