Font folder instability

April 10, 2005 10:49:02 PM

I installed a few cool fonts I found on the internet and then I tried to open
the font folder and it crashed Windows. Now EVERY time I open the font
folder, it crashes. I have tried opening it different ways, changing folder
view options, deleting all the fonts I installed, replacing all the fonts in
the folder with new copies, everything I can think of. I scanned my computer
many times with various anti-virus and anti-spyware programs and they all
found nothing. There is simply no way to get into this folder now without it
crashing. Even my boyfriend, the computer expert, is clueless!
It's not affecting any other part of the computer, the fonts are still
showing up fine in Word and other programs, but I can never modify any of the
fonts this is really annoying me. I want to fix this problem.
Anonymous
April 11, 2005 3:47:10 PM

CallistaZM wrote:
> I installed a few cool fonts I found on the internet and then I tried
> to open the font folder and it crashed Windows. Now EVERY time I open
> the font folder, it crashes. I have tried opening it different ways,
> changing folder view options, deleting all the fonts I installed,
> replacing all the fonts in the folder with new copies, everything I
> can think of. I scanned my computer many times with various
> anti-virus and anti-spyware programs and they all found nothing.
> There is simply no way to get into this folder now without it
> crashing. Even my boyfriend, the computer expert, is clueless!
> It's not affecting any other part of the computer, the fonts are still
> showing up fine in Word and other programs, but I can never modify
> any of the fonts this is really annoying me. I want to fix this
> problem.

And are we going to be privy to the error, or is it a closely guarded family
secret...?

What does the error log state?

April 11, 2005 3:47:11 PM

There is no error log. It simply pops up the "Sorry but there is an error and
we have to close this window now" message and Explorer crashes. Nothing tells
me what the error is or what is causing it.

"Miss Perspicacia Tick" wrote:

> CallistaZM wrote:
> > I installed a few cool fonts I found on the internet and then I tried
> > to open the font folder and it crashed Windows. Now EVERY time I open
> > the font folder, it crashes. I have tried opening it different ways,
> > changing folder view options, deleting all the fonts I installed,
> > replacing all the fonts in the folder with new copies, everything I
> > can think of. I scanned my computer many times with various
> > anti-virus and anti-spyware programs and they all found nothing.
> > There is simply no way to get into this folder now without it
> > crashing. Even my boyfriend, the computer expert, is clueless!
> > It's not affecting any other part of the computer, the fonts are still
> > showing up fine in Word and other programs, but I can never modify
> > any of the fonts this is really annoying me. I want to fix this
> > problem.
>
> And are we going to be privy to the error, or is it a closely guarded family
> secret...?
>
> What does the error log state?
>

> --
> In memory of MS MVP Alex Nichol: http://www.dts-l.org/

April 11, 2005 3:47:12 PM

On Mon, 11 Apr 2005 08:11:02 -0700, CallistaZM wrote:

> There is no error log. It simply pops up the "Sorry but there is an error and
> we have to close this window now" message and Explorer crashes. Nothing tells
> me what the error is or what is causing it.

There may be a more detailed error message in Event Viewer. Hopefully, one
that mentions where the fault is occurring and that will at least give you
a starting point for solving the problem. To open event viewer, type
eventvwr.msc in the Start | Run box.

Look in the System and the Applications branches for items noted with a red
or yellow icon. Check the date/time stamp against the time of the errors.
Double click on any item to read the detailed error message.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

Ok here's what came up from that. Each time I had attempted to access the
font folder this is the error described:
Faulting application explorer.exe, version 6.0.2800.1106, faulting module
kernel32.dll, version 5.1.2600.1106, fault address 0x0001da62.

followed by an information line that said this:
The shell stopped unexpectedly and Explorer.exe was restarted.

"Sharon F" wrote:

> On Mon, 11 Apr 2005 08:11:02 -0700, CallistaZM wrote:
>
> > There is no error log. It simply pops up the "Sorry but there is an error and
> > we have to close this window now" message and Explorer crashes. Nothing tells
> > me what the error is or what is causing it.
>
> There may be a more detailed error message in Event Viewer. Hopefully, one
> that mentions where the fault is occurring and that will at least give you
> a starting point for solving the problem. To open event viewer, type
> eventvwr.msc in the Start | Run box.
>
> Look in the System and the Applications branches for items noted with a red
> or yellow icon. Check the date/time stamp against the time of the errors.
> Double click on any item to read the detailed error message.
>
> --
> Sharon F
> MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

Anonymous
April 12, 2005 9:55:04 AM

Ok, have located the error log and it states:

!