Sign in with
Your question

Quick help needed on buying gpu upgrade

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 30, 2012 10:15:24 AM

hi i was going to upgrade from my 8600 gt ddr2 512mb gpu i was looking for a suitable alternative within the price range of £50-60 if cheaper better my pc specs are e6750 2.6 ghz cpu, 4gb ddr2 ram @ 800mhz, maximus formula motherboard ( i wont be overclocking btw) , and a corsair tx650 650w psui would be playing games on 1680x 150 resolution and high if maybe full graphics AA is not important to me games i would be playing is empire total war , napoleon total war, and shogun total ar and some FPS like BF3
May 30, 2012 10:31:52 AM

post doesnt let me edit my orignal post i was also wondering how much more fps a ddr3 6670 would give as opposed to a ddr5
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
May 30, 2012 10:48:29 AM

mo12345 said:
post doesnt let me edit my orignal post i was also wondering how much more fps a ddr3 6670 would give as opposed to a ddr5

Do you have links to your options? I try to look at Amazon UK but if you have link to your preferred store I would get the recommendations from there.
May 30, 2012 11:04:00 AM

sorry i mean the asus 6670 is cheap atm i would consider shops like overclockers uk ebuyer, amazon, ccl , scan
a b U Graphics card
May 30, 2012 12:47:56 PM

Yup! That's a good find. It should be very good for you coming from an 8600.
May 30, 2012 2:28:15 PM

Has anyone actually read the OP before posting?

He wants to not only play, but (near) max quite cpu intensive games(the tw series), and the leading fps in terms of system requirements...

On a midrange dual-core from 5 years ago...

And you guys advice a budget card like the 6670, which, even with a top-end cpu, can't even handle singleplayer battlefield at medium at 1680x1050... Let alone multiplayer...

Maybe be honest and tell him
May 30, 2012 2:35:23 PM

mo12345 said:

1) it's the other way around, ddr5 is a lot faster than ddr3. That's actually very basic hardware-info. I think it would be best to let a friend choose a new rig/gpu for you.

2) it's impossible to put a clear number to something like that because it varies from game to game.
May 30, 2012 3:15:51 PM

i really just wanted to know how much more better the 6670 1gb ddr3 would be to my 8600 gt 512 ddr2
a b U Graphics card
May 30, 2012 3:38:47 PM

It will be a bit better, but your going from a mid-range obsolete card to a budget modern card, so don't expect a huge difference, newer cards are faster but you're also looking at a lower tier card than what you have; I personally would expect a rather small improvement (though I wouldn't really be surprised if it were actually worse or the same)

I would wait until you had a little extra budget to get a card closer to 150$ or so (7770, 6870, or nvidia equivalent), personally. It's just not worth upgrading to something that low-end unless you want to play games at bleh resolution and quality.

However, nobody can really say quantitatively how much better one would be than the other, as the old cards don't have benchmarks for modern games, and modern cards don't have benchmarks for older games. I can tell you my wife's computer recently got upgraded from a 8600 to a 7770 and it made a big difference in performance for the Sims3 :heink: 

Also, as someone above said, your playing rather CPU intense games, so you may be bottle necked by your older CPU if you get a better card, but it should still allow you to turn up some of your graphics options like Anti-aliasing, shadows, reflections, etc if you keep cpu type settings low (like persistant scarring, dead bodies, clutter, physics, etc) and give you some nice benefits.
May 30, 2012 3:43:58 PM

hmm yh i think your right i have had second thoughts on buying that card even though i will be getting it really cheap i think it is better to wait a little while and who knows may be prices will go down. thanks for the help all.
a b U Graphics card
May 31, 2012 12:42:09 AM

calyptus said:
Has anyone actually read the OP before posting?

He wants to not only play, but (near) max quite cpu intensive games(the tw series), and the leading fps in terms of system requirements...

On a midrange dual-core from 5 years ago...

And you guys advice a budget card like the 6670, which, even with a top-end cpu, can't even handle singleplayer battlefield at medium at 1680x1050... Let alone multiplayer...

Maybe be honest and tell him

Didn't you read the part where he say he "was looking for a suitable alternative within the price range of £50-60 if cheaper better"?

mo12345 said:
i really just wanted to know how much more better the 6670 1gb ddr3 would be to my 8600 gt 512 ddr2

I want to say more on this but I got to go. Will get back in a few hours.
!