Rosewill Challenger Power Button

mkcsit

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2012
Hello,

I just built a new system with the following components.

Rosewill Challenger ATX Mid Tower Case
CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600
OCZ ModXStream Pro 600W
Intel Core i7 3770 3.4GHz LGA 1155 Processor
SanDisk Extreme SDSSDX-120G-G25 2.5" 120GB SATA III Internal SSD
Caviar Black 1TB 7,200 RPM HD
ZT-50709-10M NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 2048MB GDDR5 PCIe 2.0 x16 Video Card
GA-Z77X-UD3H LGA 1155 Z77 ATX Intel Motherboard

Everything works great except for one thing....the only way I can power it on is by using the motherboards power button. This is my first build and I tried to make sure I followed the instructions very carefully. The power light comes on and the reset button works. All front ports work. I'm wondering if anyone else has run into a similar problem and would like some suggestions for troubleshooting.

Thank You

G

it is the button being flonky. it doesn't matter which way you plugged it in; all the button does is make a connecting for the power when it is pressed in; same as using a screwdriver to "short" the two power pins.

keep pressing the button several times and see if it eventually works, if not . . .return the case?

mkcsit

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2012

Is there a way to test signal through the cable? What about to the pins on the board? I'm afraid of frying the board by trying that without knowing exactly what to do though. I double checked everything and definitely have everything plugged into the correct pins according to the manual. I'd just hate to take it apart again without knowing for sure. I want to see if there's a way to determine if the issue is the board or the case. If not I'll see about returning the case. Thanks for the help.

mkcsit

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2012

Okay so I pulled everything apart tonight and removed the cable attached to the power pins. I placed a screwdriver across the pins and the PC powered on so the board is fine. I then took the front panel off and examined the wiring to the various connectors. I noticed the wire that runs from the power switch on the case is actually blue and white not red and white.

I'm wondering if I can go ahead and just attach the blue and white wire running from the power switch on the case to the power pins on the board. Logic says yes even though it goes against what's in the documentation. I just want to be sure I'm not going to cause a problem by doing that.

The red and white wire that I had plugged onto the power pins originally is actually running to and turning the light on to the front panel. My thinking is to put the blue and white wire to the power pins and take the red and white wire (originally attached to the power pins) and move that to the hard drive activity LED pins (where the blue and white wire is connected now).

Sorry for the redundancy but I just want to be sure before proceeding as this is my first build. Thanks for the assistance to this point.

G

from your manual:
qcapture.jpg

if the blue and white wire is from the power button that will go to PW+ and PW- (you can even have it backwards because all the happens is when you press the button it will close the circuit like it did when you used a screwdriver)
if the red and white wires go to the light then they should go to PWR+ and PWR-

btw, isn't one plug for two pins and the other for three pins?

short answer is: YES!

mkcsit

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2012

Success! Blue/white to power and red/white to Message/Power pins worked.
In case anyone else runs into this same issue.

Thanks,