Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Sapphire hd 7870 ghz ed. .... with 4GB RAM??

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 30, 2012 2:34:37 PM

obviously , i'll use it roughly for gaming..

but will i experience bottlenecks? with only 4GB RAM? and a core i3 2100?

and also my psu is antec vp450 450W .... will is suffice?
a c 91 U Graphics card
May 30, 2012 3:12:42 PM

I think your system will bottleneck the card a bit, a 7850 should be sufficient for your system and you won't notice too big of a performance difference. On the otherhand if you plan on upgrading the rest of your system down the road, 7870 isn't a bad choice (fyi, you'll want to get 8GB of ram and something like an i5 2500k)

as for your PSU, AMD recommends 500W minimum for a 7870, and that model you have isn't exactly known for working above the rated wattage, so I think that'll be your biggest problem
a b U Graphics card
May 30, 2012 3:18:04 PM

An i3-2100 can run any video card without a bottleneck.

A 450w psu would be just fine for that setup since your cpu only uses about 35w.
Related resources
a c 91 U Graphics card
May 30, 2012 3:28:01 PM

Quote:
I am sure an i3 would bottleneck a GTX 590 aswell as the new 670/680 or 7950/7970.

and the 7870 OCs pretty much to 7950 performance, which is why I reasoned the i3 would bottleneck it
a b U Graphics card
May 30, 2012 3:45:41 PM

Quote:
I am sure an i3 would bottleneck a GTX 590 aswell as the new 670/680 or 7950/7970.

How do you figure? It's the same clock speed as a i5-2400........cores have no relation to graphics bottlenecking. :sleep: 

You could run 2x 7870's without a bottleneck.
a b U Graphics card
May 30, 2012 3:53:59 PM

Cores have no relation to gpu bottlenecking noober.

Using a dual core on a game that uses 4 cores would definitely be a hinderence, but the gpu's would not be bottleneked whatsoever.

You have no idea what your talking about lol, cores do not drive graphics cards, clock speed does.

You can run 2x 7870's with no GPU bottleneck whatsover.
a b U Graphics card
May 30, 2012 3:57:08 PM

Immaturity, I'm 42 years old.

Go for it noob.

a b U Graphics card
May 30, 2012 4:02:25 PM

No because the cpu is going to limit fps because the game NEEDS 4 cores, but the cpu is not bottlenecking the gpu's.

The only way you can test this, is to run a game that only uses 2 cores, and then compare a i3 to a i5 at the same clock speed with the same graphics card/s. You going to get the exact same results.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/battlefield-3-graph...

a b U Graphics card
May 30, 2012 4:08:20 PM

Yes MP will kill a dual core.

Because the cpu is holding the game back, not the GPU's.

Your not getting the difference.

He never asked if a i3 would hold back a game that needs 4 cores. He asked if a i3 will bottleneck a 7870. The answer is no it won't bottleneck 2x 7870's.
a b U Graphics card
May 30, 2012 4:14:16 PM

Where did I say a i3 wouldn't be slower than a i5?? Your reading comprehension is lacking.

I said a i3 won't bottleneck a 7870.

4 cores is only better than 2 cores in gaming if the game requires 4 cores. Otherwise the results will be exactly the same as shown in the benchmarks.

Your a bit slow, but it's ok, I'm used to it.

Oh and please tell me what uninformed AMD crap I spouted nublet? I'll be waiting.

You should try backing up your theories with facts.
a b U Graphics card
May 30, 2012 4:23:51 PM

Again your reading comprehension is lacking.

I said 2 cores will not bottleneck 2x 7870's.

You keep trying to say I said 2 cores will be fine in a game that uses more than 2 cores. The cpu will hold back the game, not the gpu's.

Give it up, you can't put words in my mouth.

The i3 actually throws more fps than a i7-2600K in the BF3 SP benchmarks because SP doesn't utilize more than 2 cores.

Get over myself? You started this by arguing the subject with no facts to back up your hypothesis.

a b U Graphics card
May 30, 2012 4:29:43 PM

What's a shame is you can't grasp the difference between a cpu bottlenecking a game and a cpu bottlenecking a graphics card.

I'm still waiting for you to tell me about the uninformed AMD crap I spouted nubber....hmmmmmm?

Now who's spouting crap they can't back up?

Oh and when you do find something else you need to be educated about, PM me and stop ruining this guys thread!
a b U Graphics card
May 30, 2012 4:36:58 PM

Well,

Guys lets keep that going in a civil tone again.

Thanks.
a b U Graphics card
May 30, 2012 4:50:55 PM

Yeah nice try, they don't exist, that's why you can't find them.

Did you even read the link you posted? LOL

"After all, even AMD's powerful Radeon HD 7970 couldn't shift enough of the game's workload to our CPUs to expose a weak link."

Why would I recommend a FX4100??

i3-2100 at stock speed still throws higher fps than a FX4100 at 4.5ghz, and yes, some of those games do use 4 cores. Facts.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-fx-pentium-a...

"A trend emerges in this third data point. The overclocked processors perform behind or close to a stock Core i3-2100."

That's because the FX has a terrible architecture for gaming. Keep digging yourself a hole. lol

a b U Graphics card
May 30, 2012 5:07:32 PM

FAnatacism to the i3? It's the best cpu in the price range for gaming, bar none.

I backed up my fanatacism with facts bud, where's yours?

Oh and a FX4100 and i3-2100 are both about the same rpice, not sure how you figure the FX4100 is "a lot less money". More of your misleading "facts". Just because it's $119 on Newegg right now doesn't mean it's not on sale for $105 or $109 every other weak.

So your saying Skyrim doesn't use 4 cores?

Even in Skyrim the stock i3 blows away the FX4100 at 4.5ghz at 1080p on ULTRA settings with the same HD7970.
May 30, 2012 5:11:24 PM

geekapproved said:
An i3-2100 can run any video card without a bottleneck.

A 450w psu would be just fine for that setup since your cpu only uses about 35w.

that's very good news for me lol.]

May 30, 2012 5:15:11 PM

lol, i just left for a few minutes and came back having 11 replies,

and i figured it out that it came from the debates of pro's and idk what they're actually talking about, lol

thanks guys, but im really confused... i guess the setup is fine? idk.

a b U Graphics card
May 30, 2012 5:17:26 PM

Once again, you fail to understand the posters question. Your talking about something the thread is not about.....hello?

Now your saying I said you can't run Skyrim maxed out on a overclocked FX4100, this is getting humerous.

The question was, will a i3-2100 bottleneck a HD7870.

The question was NOT, will a dual core perform as well as a quad core in games that use 4 cores.

Even so, the i3 will outperform a quad core in some games that do use 4 cores, as the benchmarks show.

Your like talking to a wall, you just don't get the question, your making up your own questions and trying to justify your factless answers. Wow.

I'm done, go argue with a wall. I warn you though, the wall will probably win. Bye bye.
a c 91 U Graphics card
May 30, 2012 6:26:20 PM

kentthegamer said:
that's very good news for me lol.]

um OP, I really hope you come back because I think the current vote is 2:1 against those comments...

and no, I'm not even going to join in on their debate... but with your current set up, buy a 7850 to be on the safe side... your 450W just MIGHT be able to handle it, but who really wants to run their psu at full capacity for the next couple of years (I assume you don't planning on upgrading the rest of your system in the near future?)
a c 91 U Graphics card
May 30, 2012 6:30:19 PM

geekapproved said:
Once again, you fail to understand the posters question. Your talking about something the thread is not about.....hello?

Now your saying I said you can't run Skyrim maxed out on a overclocked FX4100, this is getting humerous.

The question was, will a i3-2100 bottleneck a HD7870.

The question was NOT, will a dual core perform as well as a quad core in games that use 4 cores.

Even so, the i3 will outperform a quad core in some games that do use 4 cores, as the benchmarks show.

Your like talking to a wall, you just don't get the question, your making up your own questions and trying to justify your factless answers. Wow.

I'm done, go argue with a wall. I warn you though, the wall will probably win. Bye bye.

while you make a point under technical terms, I feel the OP's understanding of a "bottleneck" is different, and at the end of the day, an i3 2100 will not allow him to get the full preformance of a 7870 under maybe 1/3-1/5 of the games on the current market, hence "bottlenecking". I think you're strictly talking about the flow of data... but for a lot of users out there, they really only care about fps on their monitor
May 30, 2012 6:52:45 PM

The last time I looked into it I found that the biggest gain in performance was going from a single core to dual core and then another smaller bump in performance going from 2 cores to 3 and not much going from 3 cores to 4. There are exceptions. For instance Skyrim is known to be CPU intensive. As far as my understanding of bottlenecks goes...a CPU bottleneck is when the CPU can't feed the GPU fast enough to take full advantage of the GPU's speed and a GPU bottleneck is when the CPU is so much faster than the GPU that the GPU can't take full advantage of the CPU. If anything, you might get a CPU bottleneck in some games going with the HD 7870 but probably not too significant.
I would also second the comments about getting a better PSU. From what I saw the minimum recommended is 500 watts for both the HD 7850/7870. I like to have a little headroom so if it were me I would go for a 550 watt quality PSU like a Corsair, but 500 watts is enough.
May 31, 2012 3:56:30 AM

vmem said:
um OP, I really hope you come back because I think the current vote is 2:1 against those comments...

and no, I'm not even going to join in on their debate... but with your current set up, buy a 7850 to be on the safe side... your 450W just MIGHT be able to handle it, but who really wants to run their psu at full capacity for the next couple of years (I assume you don't planning on upgrading the rest of your system in the near future?)

sorry, i really can't go on to a slower card........ but, if i just let it go this way, how bad the bottleneck might be?
besides, as i have seen from the reviews on the HD 7870 its full power will only reach up to 324W so i guess the total W amount of my cpu and my gpu won't reach even 420W i guess.. probably..

thanks
May 31, 2012 3:58:37 AM

Desert Eagle said:
The last time I looked into it I found that the biggest gain in performance was going from a single core to dual core and then another smaller bump in performance going from 2 cores to 3 and not much going from 3 cores to 4. There are exceptions. For instance Skyrim is known to be CPU intensive. As far as my understanding of bottlenecks goes...a CPU bottleneck is when the CPU can't feed the GPU fast enough to take full advantage of the GPU's speed and a GPU bottleneck is when the CPU is so much faster than the GPU that the GPU can't take full advantage of the CPU. If anything, you might get a CPU bottleneck in some games going with the HD 7870 but probably not too significant.
I would also second the comments about getting a better PSU. From what I saw the minimum recommended is 500 watts for both the HD 7850/7870. I like to have a little headroom so if it were me I would go for a 550 watt quality PSU like a Corsair, but 500 watts is enough.

well yeah, maybe i should get a bigger psu..

thanks

Best solution

a c 91 U Graphics card
May 31, 2012 4:17:58 AM

kentthegamer said:
sorry, i really can't go on to a slower card........ but, if i just let it go this way, how bad the bottleneck might be?
besides, as i have seen from the reviews on the HD 7870 its full power will only reach up to 324W so i guess the total W amount of my cpu and my gpu won't reach even 420W i guess.. probably..

thanks

despite all the arguing, the bottleneck won't be that bad, it'll really depend on the type of games you play. I don't know how much of the above argument you read through, but bottom line, your CPU feeds some of the necessary graphical data to your GPU, which is where the possibility of a bottle neck can occur.

for example, if you're playing a demanding game like BF3 online on a huge map with 32 players. all that data about the 32 players (including yourself) and where they are, what they're doing etc, will all need to be crunched by the CPU before your GPU will render the frames of the intense firefight. in this situation, it's likely that your i3 2100 won't keep up.

bottom line, I think for the vast majority of single player games, you either won't have a bottle neck, or it'll be negligible like 5%. if you love big online games like huge maps on BF3, giant raid parties on WoW etc, you might have some issues when the action gets intense. of course, the reason a few of us suggest going down to a 7850 is to just save you some money, since the performance won't be too different for you. basically, on games, most of the stuff that need to use the full capabilities of a 7870 will be bottle necked by your CPU (I estimate a 15% or so slowdown, but don't quote me on it XD)

mind if I ask why you can't go to a slower card? availability issue?

as for your PSU, your 450W can squeeze by. but antec isn't the best PSU maker, and in general, PSUs are not made to run at their full capacity (hence why their efficiency are rated at 55% load or so). I think it won't hurt for you to try it, but be prepared for your PC to be stuck in a boot-loop due to insufficient power
May 31, 2012 4:33:31 AM

Best answer selected by kentthegamer.
May 31, 2012 4:42:44 AM

vmem said:
despite all the arguing, the bottleneck won't be that bad, it'll really depend on the type of games you play. I don't know how much of the above argument you read through, but bottom line, your CPU feeds some of the necessary graphical data to your GPU, which is where the possibility of a bottle neck can occur. for example, if you're playing a demanding game like BF3 online on a huge map with 32 players. all that data about the 32 players (including yourself) and where they are, what they're doing etc, will all need to be crunched by the CPU before your GPU will render the frames of the intense firefight. in this situation, it's likely that your i3 2100 won't keep up.
bottom line, I think for the vast majority of single player games, you either won't have a bottle neck, or it'll be negligible like 5%. if you love big online games like huge maps on BF3, giant raid parties on WoW etc, you might have some issues when the action gets intense. of course, the reason a few of us suggest going down to a 7850 is to just save you some money, since the performance won't be too different for you. basically, on games, most of the stuff that need to use the full capabilities of a 7870 will be bottle necked by your CPU (I estimate a 15% or so slowdown, but don't quote me on it XD)
mind if I ask why you can't go to a slower card? availability issue?
as for your PSU, your 450W can squeeze by. but antec isn't the best PSU maker, and in general, PSUs are not made to run at their full capacity (hence why their efficiency are rated at 55% load or so). I think it won't hurt for you to try it, but be prepared for your PC to be stuck in a boot-loop due to insufficient power

of all the arguments above, this one has concluded it all, i guess. so i just chose this one as the best.. no offense on the pro's debating up there, i just need a detailed conclusion on what to get and so..

now i see, i'll be playing gta 4 online , some mmorpg's like dragon nest(if u know them), vindictus.. and other..

mostly, i plan to play on singleplayer to experience the best visuals that i've never seen before, so i choose the best card for my budget so that is the 7870.
but as i have learned the 7870 is way bit far better than the 7850... and OC it to even the stock gtx 590(i guess im too much of a fairytale)..

so i guess i should be OK with my i3, since u said that i would have the slightest bottleneck(5%) which don't actually matter to me..
and for the PSU, well yeah, ur right, antec isn't the best psu, but i assume it's one of the best i think? based on the reviews in hardwaresecrets, this PSU supplies the exact wattage based on its label.. and lol, im a bit confused, i also asked the same question but on a different forum site, they said its ok while here , u said not ok lol.. so i guess it can't be helped, i should face this bottleneck thingy, .. but anyways, it's too minimal unless i play on demanding multiplayer games right?

thanks..

(EDIT) PS: yeah, i have seen all the arguments up there, so i just wanna seek exact thing, credits to them though, they gave me knowledge for these stuff..
a c 91 U Graphics card
May 31, 2012 5:31:12 AM

Well, like I said, you can squeeze by with 450W. at the end of the day, I guess I just really don't like the idea of running a PSU at near max capacity... maybe it's just a personal thing... anyway, worse that can happen is you'll be notified of some type of error on boot-up or in the middle of a game you might get a BSOD due to insufficient power. seeing as you already have the rest of the system, I agree that it's definitely worth trying it out before buying a new PSU. not that hard to plug in a video card anyway.

PS. yeah, those guys really know their stuff, I've learned much reading their posts on the forums lol
May 31, 2012 5:57:37 AM

vmem said:
Well, like I said, you can squeeze by with 450W. at the end of the day, I guess I just really don't like the idea of running a PSU at near max capacity... maybe it's just a personal thing... anyway, worse that can happen is you'll be notified of some type of error on boot-up or in the middle of a game you might get a BSOD due to insufficient power. seeing as you already have the rest of the system, I agree that it's definitely worth trying it out before buying a new PSU. not that hard to plug in a video card anyway.

PS. yeah, those guys really know their stuff, I've learned much reading their posts on the forums lol

oh isee.. thanks

yeah. they're so full of knowledge, it's so full that it turned out to be in a problem.. lol.. :??: 

a b U Graphics card
May 31, 2012 11:32:16 AM

This topic has been closed by Nikorr
!