Sign in with
Your question
Solved

GFX VS CPU and MOBO upgrade.

Last response: in CPUs
December 4, 2012 2:12:58 AM

Hey guys i looking to upgrade my current PC pretty much completely but i am going to have to do it in parts and im trying to get the best upgrade to FPS in games Mainly DayZ. My Current specs are as follows please dont laugh :p 

Mother Board - MSI G41M-P23 (MS-7592)

Ram - Have no clue on the brand but it is 4GB of DDR3 and according to CPU-Z it is at 400 MHZ

CPU - Intel Pentium D 820 2.8 GHZ

PSU - is a real crud brand not sure exactly what but it is causing me not to be able to OC the CPU, as the computer will just shut off visually on the monitor but fans will still run and i know the cpu is working properly and have seen that people have gotten them to 3.4 GHZ and i cant even get mine to 3.0 (it was a cheapo)

Grapics Card - Is a ATI Radeon HD5770

But my real question is would i get a better bost in upgrading the Mobo and CPU Or the GFX Card these are what im looking at at the moment as the upgrades and reccomendation are greatly appreciated :D  Also i am on a 200$ Budget for the graphics card about a 40$ budget on the RAM and around 230$ for the CPU and MOBO combined.

MOBO - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

CPU - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

GFX - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

RAM - i dont have any RAM picked out specifcly yet But if i could find 8GB of decent RAM for 40$ it would be awesome.

Also i know this is alot to read through and digest and i just want to thank everyone who takes a look at it and gives me some pointers :D 

Thanks Again

- Allen

More about : gfx cpu mobo upgrade

December 4, 2012 3:19:34 AM

If you want more overall functionality, speed, and reliability go with a mobo and CPU.

If you want to game with higher graphics, go with a GPU.

If you went with GPU though, I would de not upgrade the ram. Though the market can mislead you, 4gigs can do perfect with no problems in games like dayz.

I would go with a new PSU, which you will probably need to power the new brick house card anyway. I'd say modular and about 600+watts.

But, personally, I have a 4850 GPU and it works fine for me, i would spring for a new mobo and CPU any day. CPU and mobo affect overlooked aspects of gaming too, like expansionability, particles, how long loading screens take, etc.

But it's up to you. If you will, keep us up to date on what you end up choosing!

Regards,

Neb
December 4, 2012 3:33:49 AM

Alright thanks for the input i definatly appreciate it :D  and yea i will let you guys now when i upgrade and what kind of differences i see, i am leaning more towards the Mobo/CPU because while playing DayZ i only get shotty FPS when in servers with 10 or more people on them and while in huge cities like cherno and all that good stuff but when playing arma 2 to practice heli landing and all that fun stuff i get a good 60FPS with medium settings. Going to wait for a couple more people inputs before i make a decision though :D 

Thanks again for the input bud :D 

- Allen
Related resources
December 4, 2012 4:43:09 AM

I think you should go for an AMD fx 6300 build.
Cpu $140
Mobo $70
Ram $35 (good 8GB)
good 450W PSU ($35-50)
December 4, 2012 9:56:01 AM

Milkshake could you name some advantages of going with the AMD CPU over the Intel i have picked? not trying to be rude just looking for some clarifacation as to why you would choose that over it :D  thanks bud

- Allen
December 4, 2012 10:01:56 AM

nebrethar said:
If you want more overall functionality, speed, and reliability go with a mobo and CPU.

If you want to game with higher graphics, go with a GPU.

If you went with GPU though, I would de not upgrade the ram. Though the market can mislead you, 4gigs can do perfect with no problems in games like dayz.

I would go with a new PSU, which you will probably need to power the new brick house card anyway. I'd say modular and about 600+watts.

But, personally, I have a 4850 GPU and it works fine for me, i would spring for a new mobo and CPU any day. CPU and mobo affect overlooked aspects of gaming too, like expansionability, particles, how long loading screens take, etc.

But it's up to you. If you will, keep us up to date on what you end up choosing!

Regards,

Neb

Again thanks for the info i didint put this in my original reply but im looking to get some higher FPS, i dont really care to have everything at ultra and 16XAA and all the pretty things XD and from what im reading about dayz and sluggish fps on servers is that it isnt optimized well so much so that your computer is actually having to load every mob that is on the map wether it is within your view distance or not. So that seems like it would be putting more strain on the CPU to actually just read them as being there rather than actually rendering there image. so im leaning more towards the CPU and MOBO. But do you have any knowledge of wether the AMD would out-perform the AMD CPU that milkshakes is talking about? thanks again for the info and help :D 

- Allen
December 4, 2012 10:28:17 AM

Allen_2k12 said:
Milkshake could you name some advantages of going with the AMD CPU over the Intel i have picked? not trying to be rude just looking for some clarifacation as to why you would choose that over it :D  thanks bud

- Allen

Well you did pick a good chip but for a few more dollars you can have a six core that renders faster than an i3, and games like the i3 but in games that take use of more threads (ie bf3 mp) the fx pulls ahead, and after an overclock from 3.5GHZ to 4.2GHZ+ you will get a larger performance increase.
(its pretty much in the middle of an i3 and a core i5 in performance.)
Fx vs core i3
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/699?vs=677
Skyrim : http://www.anandtech.com/bench/CPU/505
But it depends on what games your going to play and what else you will be doing on the PC.
a b à CPUs
December 4, 2012 12:22:52 PM

milkshakez7z said:
Well you did pick a good chip but for a few more dollars you can have a six core that renders faster than an i3, and games like the i3 but in games that take use of more threads (ie bf3 mp) the fx pulls ahead, and after an overclock from 3.5GHZ to 4.2GHZ+ you will get a larger performance increase.
(its pretty much in the middle of an i3 and a core i5 in performance.)
Fx vs core i3
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/699?vs=677
Skyrim : http://www.anandtech.com/bench/CPU/505
But it depends on what games your going to play and what else you will be doing on the PC.

Stock vs stock the i3 is superior.

Overclocking the 6300 also means money for a aftermarket cpu cooler, which means a weaker GPU. To slightly beat the i3.

And it also means higher power consumption.

And no, its no where close to a i5.

The only reason I would choose the 6300 is if you wanted to play online bf3.

Otherwise i3 for now, then jump to a i5 in the future.

Best solution

a c 106 à CPUs
December 4, 2012 12:47:53 PM

First thing first; upgrade the PSU. Particularly since you believe you have a junk unit, be aware that it puts your entire system at risk. Often, a cheap PSU will go way out of spec before it shuts down (or dies), possibly damaging attached components.
Just out today: http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=...
Then, get a new CPU/mobo. Look at today's $500 SBM build to see what Paul got out of even a "lowly" Pentium.
It looks like your DDR3 RAM can be re-used, BUT if you're going to rebuild entirely, you can leave the old machine intact (maybe replace its PSU anyway) and keep it as a backup, donate it, or sell it.
Bottom line, you would have to make a determined effort to buy a CPU today that won't blow your 820 out of the water, so consider later uses too, and total budget. Once again, the $500 SBM build is a good guide. There's nothing "wrong" in that build, so you can let your budget scale it up or maybe a little (but not much) down.
December 5, 2012 12:38:15 PM

Thanks everyone for your suggestions! :D  i really appreciate it. Iive decided to go for the I3 and and the mobo i wont have it till chirstmas but ill post my results from them aorund the 27th or 28th :D  ill post them on here so if you want to check em out bookmark it. and really huge thanks to everyone that threw in suggestions. Oh and i am also getting a better power supply for christmas :D 

- Allen
December 5, 2012 7:38:23 PM

Best answer selected by Allen_2k12.
a c 106 à CPUs
December 5, 2012 9:41:04 PM

Thanks. Good luck with your build.
!