Hello Guys,

I have the below specs:

Phenom II x4 955 4Ghz
Asus M4N75TD
8GB DDR3 1600Mhz Ram
Corsair 750TX V PSU
Corsair 400R Case with 8 120mm fans
Palit GTX 580 1536MB reference card

I want to overclock my Palit GTX 580 reference design card but when I check MSI afterburner I see that the idle temps vary from 42 to 45 degrees celcius and at full load they go upto 85 degrees.

Should I setup a custom fan profile. If yes, then please let me know what kind of profile will be sufficient. I also want to overclock the card atleast upto 850Mhz. Can I just overclock it to that speed or should I add voltage. the current voltage set on the reference speeds is 1.038 I believe.

More about : gtx 580

a b U Graphics card
May 30, 2012 4:22:16 PM

85 degrees is not overly hot for a reference card. If you want better cooling then go ahead and buy an aftermarket cooler. But the card isn't overheating at the moment.
May 30, 2012 4:46:57 PM

auntarie said:
85 degrees is not overly hot for a reference card. If you want better cooling then go ahead and buy an aftermarket cooler. But the card isn't overheating at the moment.

How about overclocking it to 850Mhz?
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
May 30, 2012 5:22:26 PM

How much have you reached now?
May 30, 2012 6:15:42 PM

auntarie said:
How much have you reached now?

I haven't even started overclocking. I unlocked the voltage control in MSI afterburner and it says the current voltage is 1.037. So how much do you think is the maximum overclock on the current voltage. How about 830 or 850?
a b U Graphics card
May 30, 2012 6:24:59 PM

Well the stock clock is 772 MHz so I guess 60-80 might fall into the "requires more voltage zone". The heat will only increase if you ramp up the voltage. So I'd say add 20 MHz, stress test, if stable- repeat. If not- add voltage. I'm not that good with overclocking though, so check this out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hVUsUZA9rc

The card used is a GTX 460, but it's still Fermi so the same can be applied to your GTX 580.
May 30, 2012 6:40:12 PM

auntarie said:
Well the stock clock is 772 MHz so I guess 60-80 might fall into the "requires more voltage zone". The heat will only increase if you ramp up the voltage. So I'd say add 20 MHz, stress test, if stable- repeat. If not- add voltage. I'm not that good with overclocking though, so check this out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hVUsUZA9rc

The card used is a GTX 460, but it's still Fermi so the same can be applied to your GTX 580.

How about the memory. Can I just increase the bar to 4200 as memory?
a b U Graphics card
May 30, 2012 7:13:51 PM

Hmm, I don't know. 200MHz seem too much to achieve especially with the memory. My card is top tier overclocked and the difference is only 50MHz on the memory.
a b U Graphics card
May 30, 2012 7:25:55 PM

I would bump up your voltage when you overclock then do stability tests. Lower it after a while and see if its still stable, rinse and repeat till you find the lowest voltage your oc is stable at. The reason is because ever card is different and what you can get at one voltage may be pretty far off from other people.

Your best bet for cooling is an all-in-one CPU cooler like the antec 620. You can use zipties to tie it down to the GTX 580. Nice temperatures, I get 55*C load temp on my GTX 580 with the antec cooler at stock speed. I'm able to get around 940mhz on max voltage and load is still under 80*C at all times. Usually at those speeds during benchmarks and stuff its never over 75. Heres a picture of mine when I did it:

If your a little worried about using ziptied to hold it down to the GPU you can check out "the mod" at overclock.net, theres people on there that make mounting brackets for the antec cooler at ~$10.

p.s. if you do this just make sure you only remove the sheath and heat sink...don't remove any of the VRAM heatsinks
May 30, 2012 8:47:12 PM

bavman said:
I would bump up your voltage when you overclock then do stability tests. Lower it after a while and see if its still stable, rinse and repeat till you find the lowest voltage your oc is stable at. The reason is because ever card is different and what you can get at one voltage may be pretty far off from other people.

Your best bet for cooling is an all-in-one CPU cooler like the antec 620. You can use zipties to tie it down to the GTX 580. Nice temperatures, I get 55*C load temp on my GTX 580 with the antec cooler at stock speed. I'm able to get around 940mhz on max voltage and load is still under 80*C at all times. Usually at those speeds during benchmarks and stuff its never over 75. Heres a picture of mine when I did it:
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8160/6959187112_08982915ee_c.jpg
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7261/7105253861_ec0987fb0f_c.jpg

If your a little worried about using ziptied to hold it down to the GPU you can check out "the mod" at overclock.net, theres people on there that make mounting brackets for the antec cooler at ~$10.

p.s. if you do this just make sure you only remove the sheath and heat sink...don't remove any of the VRAM heatsinks

What about the fan profile for the stock card. I mean it idles at 42 to 45 without even overclocking and load at 85 to 85 degrees. Do you think a custom fan profile will be good and if yes, then can you let me know which kind of fan profile would be good for load temps especially. I mean should i set it as 40% for 40 degrees or 50% minimum, etc.
!