Sign in with
Your question

Disc Drive Doesn't Work After Installing New Graphics Card

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 30, 2012 4:14:21 PM

Hello, I'm new here, so I'll start by saying that I have a 3GB Ram, Running Windows Vista Home Premium, Pentium(R) Dual-Core CPU @ 2.5GHz, my Motherboard is Acer model is mcp73ve, I have my basic chip set graphics card that is nVidia, GeForce 7050. I just installed my new graphics card which is an nVidia GeForce GT 430, the first time when I connected it, it didn't work at all, so I was fed up on looking for answers, so I plopped it out, and back in again, turned on the computer and it started doing it's thing and then it showed that the new card was installed, but when I try and open up my computer and clicking on the disc drive to install what came on the CD with the graphics card, the disc drive just wont work.

If I'm correct it's probably because it's using more power from the graphics card and not enough for the disc drive, (again i could be wrong) I have a 500 watt power supply I bought just for the card, which needs at least 300 watts. well over 200 watts left for the disc drive, so I'm confused, if this is the reason, can anyone give me advice to fix this, or is it even fixable ?

Thanks in advanced.
Daniel.
a b U Graphics card
May 30, 2012 4:24:48 PM

Check if you accidentally unplugged any cables that connect to the drive.
May 30, 2012 4:42:34 PM

Ditto with auntarie. If something is wrong after that, it'll help if you give the PSU specs (brand voltage capacity) or better, give a weblink of where you bought it. 500 Watts should be more than enough.
Related resources
May 30, 2012 6:40:53 PM

moornix said:
Ditto with auntarie. If something is wrong after that, it'll help if you give the PSU specs (brand voltage capacity) or better, give a weblink of where you bought it. 500 Watts should be more than enough.

It is a Coolmaster Extreme 500 watt Power Supply. This is the link. http://computeravenue.ca/product.php?txtCatID=512&txtPr...

This is the graphics card link: http://computeravenue.ca/product.php?txtCatID=505&txtPr...

I will update soon when i open up the computer too see if any cords were unplugged from the disc drive (although i really don't think there is.)
May 30, 2012 7:19:25 PM

moornix said:
The PSU isn't good enough.

Corsair Builder Series 430 Watt ($35 after MIR)

Corsair Builder Series 500 Watt ($52 after MIR + shipping)

Good brands: Corsair, Seasonic, Antec and XFX.

Your GPU requires a minimum power supply with +12 Volt current rating of 22 Amps.

Isn't my power supply a +12 volt current, and a rating of 22 amps?
So what is the fix, buying a completely new power supply? or buying a new processor ?

So basically i ruined my computer by buying the new power supply and graphics card? if i want to use my disc drive i have to open my computer, and take out the graphics card every time?
What is the fix for this? so i can use both the graphics card and my disc drive ?
a b U Graphics card
May 30, 2012 7:20:17 PM

moornix said:

Your GPU requires a minimum power supply with +12 Volt current rating of 22 Amps.

You sure? It has only 18A but it has 2 rails.
a b U Graphics card
May 30, 2012 7:23:08 PM

DannyBoy204 said:
Isn't my power supply a +12 volt current, and a rating of 22 amps?
So what is the fix, buying a completely new power supply? or buying a new processor ?

So basically i ruined my computer by buying the new power supply and graphics card? if i want to use my disc drive i have to open my computer, and take out the graphics card every time?
What is the fix for this? so i can use both the graphics card and my disc drive ?

If I have the correct model here(I should since it's the same name as your PSU) your PSU has 2 +12V rails with a 18A rating each. I'm still not convinced that it's the PSU.
a b Î Nvidia
a c 290 U Graphics card
May 30, 2012 7:29:06 PM

It is not the power supply. Moornix is wrong, because GT 430 is very low power card. It will not exceed 200 watts for the whole system.

You know, that 300 watts for graphics card means that it's recommended system wattage, not just for graphics card.

How does the cd drive not work? Does it not open? Or the disc doesn't spin inside?
May 30, 2012 7:30:24 PM

moornix said:

I uploaded two pictures of my power supplies box it came with.
" alt="" class="imgLz frmImg " />
" alt="" class="imgLz frmImg " />
May 30, 2012 7:35:27 PM

OMG! I'M SO SORRY FOR WASTING EVERYONE'S TIME!
I THINK AFTER THE SYSTEM INSTALLED EVERYTHING, I OPENED UP A GAME EVERYTHING WORKED GREAT!
My dad came and shut off the computer when i wasn't on it and was out and about earlier, when i turned it back on. the disc drive is now working, it is recognizing the discs now.

before it could open and close. but the discs wouldnt get read.
i clicked on the disc drive on my computer and it says there was no disc in or just some error.
but everything seems to be working perfect now!
THANKS AGAIN FOR ALL THE HELP1 AND IM SORRY FOR WASTING ALL OF YOUR TIME!
a b U Graphics card
May 30, 2012 7:36:07 PM

Yeah. It can power your system and then some. You probably dislocated some wires by accident. Check everything. They might not be unplugged, just askew or not making good contact.
a b Î Nvidia
a c 290 U Graphics card
May 30, 2012 7:37:17 PM

Glad you solved it after all! :) 
a b U Graphics card
May 30, 2012 7:37:48 PM

Quote:
Yeah. It can power your system and then some. You probably dislocated some wires by accident. Check everything. They might not be unplugged, just askew or not making good contact.

Ignore that :D  Your post hadn't loaded for me. Congrats :) 
a b U Graphics card
May 30, 2012 7:45:52 PM

I run 430s on my mini HTPCs that I build into NES cases with a 85 w power supply and they run fine, Unigine, Diablo 3, Mass Effect 3, cant run it on high settings, but they run pretty well.
!