Remove arrow on desktop shortcut icons

I have seen a checkbox to remove the arrow on desktop shortcut icons
somewhere in XP Pro.
I am unable to find it again in either Home or Pro and would appreciate a
hint if anyone knows its location.

Thanks, Jon

"Jon Hill" <JonHill@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have seen a checkbox to remove the arrow on desktop shortcut icons
> somewhere in XP Pro.
> I am unable to find it again in either Home or Pro and would appreciate a
> hint if anyone knows its location.
>
> Thanks, Jon

TweakUI can do this. Download from the Microsoft.
Microsoft PowerToys for Windows XP

William

In news:A1839F8C-303C-465C-89AE-0A594C929E1D@microsoft.com,
Jon Hill <JonHill@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

> I have seen a checkbox to remove the arrow on desktop shortcut
> icons
> somewhere in XP Pro.
> I am unable to find it again in either Home or Pro and would
> appreciate a hint if anyone knows its location.

No, there is no such checkbox built into Windows XP. However you
can get rid of the arrows with a registry edit, or more easily
and more safely by using the free TweakUI, downloadable as part
of Microsoft PowerToys at
(if you have SP1 or SP2 installed) or
http://download.microsoft.com/download/whistler/Install/2/WXP/EN-US/TweakUiPowertoySetup.exe
(or if you don't have SP1 or SP2).

However, my recommendation is that you do *not* do this. The
arrows serve an important function--providing quick visual
identification of a shortcut. If you remove the arrows, you run
the substantial risk that sooner or later you will delete
something you wanted to keep, thinking that you were just
deleting a shortcut to it. I would either leave the arrows as
they are, or alternatively use the TweakUI option of light
arrows, which are somewhat less visible that the regular ones.

Please reply to the newsgroup

use tweakui from the powertoys. Probably need to download it.

RT

"Jon Hill" <JonHill@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have seen a checkbox to remove the arrow on desktop shortcut icons
> somewhere in XP Pro.
> I am unable to find it again in either Home or Pro and would appreciate a
> hint if anyone knows its location.
>
> Thanks, Jon

It simple, You can tweak without any software. I hope you will aware about
registry.

Step 1:
Run > regedit
step 2:
select,expand > Hkey_classes_root
> inside this you will find two folders named
Lnkfile and Piffile
step 3:
select,expand> Lnkfile folder, In the right pane you will get IsShortcut
key, just delete this.

step 4:
then select,expand > Piffile folder, In right pane you will get IsShortcut
key, just delete this.

Only these two deletion will remove the shortcut symbol,

Logoff and you will notice the difference.

happy tweaking !!
Mahes~
http://spaces.msn.com/members/cyberiafreak

"Rafael T" <okinawapro@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> use tweakui from the powertoys. Probably need to download it.
>
> RT
>
> "Jon Hill" <JonHill@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have seen a checkbox to remove the arrow on desktop shortcut icons
> > somewhere in XP Pro.
> > I am unable to find it again in either Home or Pro and would appreciate
> > hint if anyone knows its location.
> >
> > Thanks, Jon

Thank you all. I have TweakUI and must have seen it there.

"~Maheshkumar.R" wrote:

> It simple, You can tweak without any software. I hope you will aware about
> registry.
>
> Step 1:
> Run > regedit
> step 2:
> select,expand > Hkey_classes_root
> > inside this you will find two folders named
> Lnkfile and Piffile
> step 3:
> select,expand> Lnkfile folder, In the right pane you will get IsShortcut
> key, just delete this.
>
> step 4:
> then select,expand > Piffile folder, In right pane you will get IsShortcut
> key, just delete this.
>
> Only these two deletion will remove the shortcut symbol,
>
> Logoff and you will notice the difference.
>
> happy tweaking !!
> Mahes~
> http://spaces.msn.com/members/cyberiafreak
>

> "Rafael T" <okinawapro@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > use tweakui from the powertoys. Probably need to download it.
> >
> > RT
> >
> > "Jon Hill" <JonHill@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > >I have seen a checkbox to remove the arrow on desktop shortcut icons
> > > somewhere in XP Pro.
> > > I am unable to find it again in either Home or Pro and would appreciate
> > > hint if anyone knows its location.
> > >
> > > Thanks, Jon

kelly

Hi Jon,

To remove shortcut arrows:

Remove Icon Shortcut Symbols (Line 185)

Manual:

Go to Start/Run/Regedit and navigate to this key:
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT. Scroll on down to Pifile. In the right pane, rename
ISSHORTCUT to read SHORTCUT.

--
In memory of our dear friend, MVP Alex Nichol: http://www.dts-l.org/

All the Best,
Kelly (MS-MVP)

Troubleshooting Windows XP
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

~Maheshkumar.R wrote:
> It simple, You can tweak without any software. I hope you will aware
> about registry.
>
> Step 1:
> Run > regedit
> step 2:
> select,expand > Hkey_classes_root
> > inside this you will find two folders
> named Lnkfile and Piffile
> step 3:
> select,expand> Lnkfile folder, In the right pane you will get
> IsShortcut key, just delete this.
>
> step 4:
> then select,expand > Piffile folder, In right pane you will get
> IsShortcut key, just delete this.
>
> Only these two deletion will remove the shortcut symbol,

A Reg tweak for 98SE not dissimilar to that had the disadvantage that it
also killed the <ctrl><alt><?> keyboard shortcuts (which I like for
frequently-used programs); the Tweakui method uses an alternative gif file,
either wholly invisible or a fainter arrow, but you could also set to point
to your own overlay design.

It's in
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell
Icons

Mine reads:

29 REG_SZ C:\WINDOWS\system32\tweakui.exe,3

cpemma wrote:
the Tweakui method uses an alternative gif
> file

Should say .ico file...

Ken when i open the "pif"file on the right pane i get

ab(Default) REG_SZ piffile.

is this the one i should delete to remove the arrows from the desktop icons?

"Ken Blake" wrote:

> In news:A1839F8C-303C-465C-89AE-0A594C929E1D@microsoft.com,
> Jon Hill <JonHill@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:
>
> > I have seen a checkbox to remove the arrow on desktop shortcut
> > icons
> > somewhere in XP Pro.
> > I am unable to find it again in either Home or Pro and would
> > appreciate a hint if anyone knows its location.
>

> No, there is no such checkbox built into Windows XP. However you
> can get rid of the arrows with a registry edit, or more easily
> and more safely by using the free TweakUI, downloadable as part
> of Microsoft PowerToys at
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/downloads/powertoys.asp
> (if you have SP1 or SP2 installed) or
> http://download.microsoft.com/download/whistler/Install/2/WXP/EN-US/TweakUiPowertoySetup.exe
> (or if you don't have SP1 or SP2).
>
> However, my recommendation is that you do *not* do this. The
> arrows serve an important function--providing quick visual
> identification of a shortcut. If you remove the arrows, you run
> the substantial risk that sooner or later you will delete
> something you wanted to keep, thinking that you were just
> deleting a shortcut to it. I would either leave the arrows as
> they are, or alternatively use the TweakUI option of light
> arrows, which are somewhat less visible that the regular ones.

> Please reply to the newsgroup

galen

Distinguished
May 24, 2004

In news:AF3D0683-55B5-44FB-B8A4-999C35669422@microsoft.com,
Mugur <Mugur@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

> Ken when i open the "pif"file on the right pane i get
>
> ab(Default) REG_SZ piffile.
>
> is this the one i should delete to remove the arrows from the desktop
> icons?

I'm sure Ken will answer in time but once again you should read what he
wrote. He recommends that if you do delete them (and I agree that most
people should not) that you do so by using an application. Editing the
registry manually is not the best solution - more so if you have to ask
questions. A simple rule, and I'm not poking at you, is that if you have to
ask questions you probably shouldn't. Use of one of the applications is the
safest method as it's been tried by countless other people and been done
without a problem. Not removing them is probably the best but seeing as I do
I'm not going to say you shouldn't. ;) However I'd do so with an application
if I were you...

Galen

Sherlock Holmes

In news:%23M2EpejeFHA.3040@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
Galen <galennews@gmail.com> typed:

> In news:AF3D0683-55B5-44FB-B8A4-999C35669422@microsoft.com,
> Mugur <Mugur@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

>> Ken when i open the "pif"file on the right pane i get
>>
>> ab(Default) REG_SZ piffile.
>>
>> is this the one i should delete to remove the arrows from the
>> desktop
>> icons?
>
> I'm sure Ken will answer in time but once again you should read
> what
> he wrote. He recommends that if you do delete them (and I agree
> that
> most people should not) that you do so by using an application.
> Editing the registry manually is not the best solution - more
> so if
> you have to ask questions. A simple rule, and I'm not poking at
> you,
> is that if you have to ask questions you probably shouldn't.
> Use of
> one of the applications is the safest method as it's been tried
> by
> countless other people and been done without a problem. Not
> removing
> them is probably the best but seeing as I do I'm not going to
> say you
> shouldn't. ;) However I'd do so with an application if I were
> you...

Mugur, I completely agree with what Galen says here.

Please reply to the newsgroup

Hi Galen
Load Tweak IU from MS and it will give you the ability to remove the
arrows and a lot of other nice features.

--
Have A Great Day
Bill M.

galen

Distinguished
May 24, 2004

In news:uQnOAWmeFHA.412@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
Ken Blake <kblake@this.is.an.invalid.domain> had this to say:

> Mugur, I completely agree with what Galen says here.

<g> And here I was agreeing with you! I'd say it's something about great
minds but, well, mine's not so great. In fact it's pretty forgetful, slowing
down in age, and generally full of the oddest things at the most
inappropriate times.

Galen

Sherlock Holmes

Thank you for your fast replys.I am going to play safe and load Tweak ui.
I did .It is the 2.00.1.00 version.
I looked all over and found nothing about the arrows on the descktop
icons.Got stucked.
A little help?

In news:5A0E006D-8B4E-4399-8F9A-04806BE38FAB@microsoft.com,
Mugur <Mugur@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

> Thank you for your fast replys.I am going to play safe and load
> Tweak
> ui.

A wise decision. No matter how experienced you are, if something
can be done with TweakUI, it's always easier and safer than wih
Regedit.

> I did .It is the 2.00.1.00 version.
> I looked all over and found nothing about the arrows on the
> descktop
> icons.Got stucked.
> A little help?

Assuming that you have at least SP1 or XP, first download TweakUI
version 2.10.0.0

Then you'll find the setting under Explorer | Shortcut.

Please reply to the newsgroup

> "Galen" wrote:
>
>> In news:uQnOAWmeFHA.412@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
>> Ken Blake <kblake@this.is.an.invalid.domain> had this to say:

>>> Mugur, I completely agree with what Galen says here.
>>
>> <g> And here I was agreeing with you! I'd say it's something
>> about
>> great minds but, well, mine's not so great. In fact it's
>> pretty
>> forgetful, slowing down in age, and generally full of the
>> oddest
>> things at the most inappropriate times.
>>
>> Galen
>> --
>>
>> "And that recommendation, with the exaggerated estimate of my
>> ability
>> with which he prefaced it, was, if you will believe me,
>> Watson, the
>> very first thing which ever made me feel that a profession
>> might be
>> made out of what had up to that time been the merest hobby."
>>
>> Sherlock Holmes

Mugar,
Control Panel> TweakUI> Under Explorer> Shortcuts> Select None.

--

Click on Link to Add MS to your News Reader: news://msnews.microsoft.com
Rich/rerat

(RRR News) <message rule>

On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 09:53:01 +0530, Ramesh, MS-MVP wrote:

>>> NO ARROWS NOW
>
> Glad you got this resolved. However, take a note of the advice that Ken
> already posted:
>
> <quote>
> However, my recommendation is that you do *not* do this. The arrows serve an
> important function--providing quick visual identification of a shortcut. If
> you remove the arrows, you run the substantial risk that sooner or later you
> will delete something you wanted to keep, thinking that you were just
> deleting a shortcut to it.
> </quote>
>
> Last month I got a mail from one Mr.Peter, a tech in U.S, that one of their
> customers had copied a file to floppy and submitted to them. Later the tech
> found that their customer had copied the "shortcut" of the executable file,
> rather than copying the actual executable.

I think a good compromise is using the "light" shortcut arrows - another
option in TweakUI. Still have the arrow for reference but it's not as
noticeable.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

galen

Distinguished
May 24, 2004

In news:eGWjNlxeFHA.3712@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
Sharon F <sharonfDEL@ETEmvps.org> had this to say:

>> Glad you got this resolved. However, take a note of the advice that
>> Ken already posted:
>>
>> <quote>
>> However, my recommendation is that you do *not* do this. The arrows
>> serve an important function--providing quick visual identification
>> of a shortcut. If you remove the arrows, you run the substantial
>> risk that sooner or later you will delete something you wanted to
>> keep, thinking that you were just deleting a shortcut to it.
>> </quote>
>>
>> Last month I got a mail from one Mr.Peter, a tech in U.S, that one
>> of their customers had copied a file to floppy and submitted to
>> them. Later the tech found that their customer had copied the
>> "shortcut" of the executable file, rather than copying the actual
>> executable.
>
> I think a good compromise is using the "light" shortcut arrows -
> another option in TweakUI. Still have the arrow for reference but
> it's not as noticeable.

Personally I go ahead and get rid of them. I don't use them because I don't
like them AND because I do not EVER leave executables on the desktop, they
have folders made just for them... In fact most shortcuts end up in a
special folder on the desktop saying shortcuts. (It's my madness I tell you
but I like a clean desktop.) So I suppose if you keep tabs of where you're
leaving random shortcuts and have folders specifically for downloaded
applications (for instance non-installed apps that I keep I really DO put
into the program files as a folder and then put a shortcut where I want it -
it's more work but I like neat/organized) it doesn't tend to cause any
problems. I'm actually a bit anal about where I download stuff, where I
place stuff, and how I keep my systems organized now that I think about it.
Even my start menu is organized.

Then again I'm still figuring out a way to wash my monitor's electron
guns... I clean my firearms after I use them so they still work the next
time I use them. I should then, logically, clean my electron guns. I think
the slots at the top of my CRT monitor are probably for that fuel system
cleaner put out by STP. I'm still not sure what to do with the TFT displays
though. I'm beginning to suspect that they have advanced technology meaning
that I should probably press on the screen (with a cloth covered hand of
course, I wouldn't want to smudge it) to make the pretty colors appear and
that process shows that it's cleaning them.

Galen

Sherlock Holmes

On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 17:02:01 -0400, Galen wrote:

> In news:eGWjNlxeFHA.3712@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
> Sharon F <sharonfDEL@ETEmvps.org> had this to say:

>> [24 quoted lines suppressed]
>
> Personally I go ahead and get rid of them. I don't use them because I don't
> like them AND because I do not EVER leave executables on the desktop, they
> have folders made just for them... In fact most shortcuts end up in a
> special folder on the desktop saying shortcuts. (It's my madness I tell you
> but I like a clean desktop.) So I suppose if you keep tabs of where you're
> leaving random shortcuts and have folders specifically for downloaded
> applications (for instance non-installed apps that I keep I really DO put
> into the program files as a folder and then put a shortcut where I want it -
> it's more work but I like neat/organized) it doesn't tend to cause any
> problems. I'm actually a bit anal about where I download stuff, where I
> place stuff, and how I keep my systems organized now that I think about it.
> Even my start menu is organized.
>
> Then again I'm still figuring out a way to wash my monitor's electron
> guns... I clean my firearms after I use them so they still work the next
> time I use them. I should then, logically, clean my electron guns. I think
> the slots at the top of my CRT monitor are probably for that fuel system
> cleaner put out by STP. I'm still not sure what to do with the TFT displays
> though. I'm beginning to suspect that they have advanced technology meaning
> that I should probably press on the screen (with a cloth covered hand of
> course, I wouldn't want to smudge it) to make the pretty colors appear and
> that process shows that it's cleaning them.
>
> Galen

<g> Very impressed with your "techniques." ;)

My weak spot: Internet shortcuts tend to get out of hand on my desktop.
There are so many sites that I would like to read more but don't always
have the time. So "right click> create shortcut" is a quick way to grab a
marker with the hopes of finding a block of time to return. If I bury these
in folders I tend to forget about them. The upside: when I reach a certain
tolerance level (starts Windows and am blinded by blue e's), I *make* time
to catch up on reading.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

In news:eqFhYm3eFHA.2180@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
Sharon F <sharonfDEL@ETEmvps.org> typed:

> My weak spot: Internet shortcuts tend to get out of hand on my
> desktop. There are so many sites that I would like to read more
> but
> don't always have the time. So "right click> create shortcut"
> is a
> quick way to grab a marker with the hopes of finding a block of
> time
> to return.

I don't think it's a weak spot at all. I think doing that makes a
lot of sense. I do the same thing. My desktop has a lot of
shortcuts on it, but many of them are there only temporarily,
until I find the time to get there and investigate it more
thoroughly.

On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 20:05:18 -0700, Ken Blake wrote:

> I don't think it's a weak spot at all. I think doing that makes a
> lot of sense. I do the same thing. My desktop has a lot of
> shortcuts on it, but many of them are there only temporarily,
> until I find the time to get there and investigate it more
> thoroughly.

GMTA? :)
--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

galen

Distinguished
May 24, 2004

In news:%23VqvZg5eFHA.1040@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
Sharon F <sharonfDEL@ETEmvps.org> had this to say:

*chuckles* In my obsessive/compulsive disorder (just diagnosed by me as I
was thinking about how really anal I am about such things) I have a folder
that I put such shortcuts into or a slot in my favorites labeled "Temp -
Read Later" and that's been my insanity for years. Now if I could just ever
make the time to read all of them. I do go back and read them, often
deleting them or moving them to a more permanent place in my favorites.

Galen

Sherlock Holmes