Sign in with
Your question
Closed

CPU temp. 100 degree celsius! Pls help!

Last response: in CPUs
December 4, 2012 5:50:17 AM

I recently had my desktop that I was using in Australia shipped to India. It was working fine there. No problem whatsoever. But I’ve been running into all sorts of problem after I got it here in India. My desktop seems to constantly touch 100 degree celsius. As a result, my desktop works only for 2mins :(  . All fans seems to be working, no dust issues, remounted chip coolers, but nothing seems to solve the problem. If anyone has any idea as to what’s going on or have had similar experience, please share your thoughts/solutions. Thanks in advance!

This is my system configuration-

Motherboard – Gigabyte X58A UD3R (Bios ver. 2)
Processor – i7 950
OS – Win7 Ultimate 64bit
PSU – Corsair 750W
Memory – Corsair Dominator 12GB (9-9-9-24, 1600MHz, 1.65V)
HDD – WD Black 2TB, WD Black 1TB, WD Green 1TB & OCZ 60GB SSD
VGA – XFX Radeon 6950 2GB (stopped working)/ replaced it with Asus 210 till the replacement arrives
Network – Asus N13 wireless
2x Bluray combo
Case – Corsair 600T
Cooling – Corsair H100 for the chip

More about : cpu temp 100 degree celsius pls

Best solution

a b à CPUs
December 4, 2012 6:34:02 AM

I would suggest you to re-seat ur CPU heat sink with new thermal paste. Make sure to wipe away the existing ones clean.

The environment temperature play the part as well, make sure u keep ur PC in well ventilated area or in the room with AC.
December 4, 2012 6:45:49 AM

A tube of Artice Silver 5 would be in order and anything you can do, more fan, change layout, different case, even some simple water, but get that temp down!
Score
Related resources
December 4, 2012 7:55:22 AM

Thanks guys for your help. I've ordered Tuniq TX-2 thermal compound. Hopefully it will sort out the problem.

Is there a possibility of voltage problem??
Score
a b à CPUs
December 4, 2012 8:04:31 AM

Yes, if the CPU is overclocked.

Apart from that you´re using 12GB at 1600MHz, which is not recommended by Intel. X58 is well known for running it hot -- the extra load in the memory controller contribute to make it even hotter. Try setting the memory manually to 1333MHz, or make it 6GB at 1600MHz.
Score
a b à CPUs
December 4, 2012 8:07:15 AM

12gb at 1600mhz wont make it that hot --especially with an h100

have 12gb at 1600mhz in my second pc with i7-920 at 4ghz with corsair h50

and temperatures are fine

check your pump is working on the h100
Score
a b à CPUs
December 4, 2012 9:15:01 AM

mcnumpty23 said:
12gb at 1600mhz wont make it that hot --especially with an h100

have 12gb at 1600mhz in my second pc with i7-920 at 4ghz with corsair h50

and temperatures are fine

check your pump is working on the h100

Perhaps because you are not in India?
Score
a b à CPUs
December 4, 2012 9:23:06 AM

true enough--i am not

whats the current temperature in India?

about 30c ?

wouldn't the ambient temperature also have been hot when they used it in Australia?

still think its a cooler issue
Score
a b à CPUs
December 4, 2012 9:55:24 AM

If the H100 is working properly, and thermal paste has been applied correctly, then my guess would go for the case.
Score
a c 103 à CPUs
December 4, 2012 9:58:11 AM

dreamagicz said:
I recently had my desktop that I was using in Australia shipped to India. It was working fine there. No problem whatsoever. But I’ve been running into all sorts of problem after I got it here in India. My desktop seems to constantly touch 100 degree celsius. As a result, my desktop works only for 2mins :(  . All fans seems to be working, no dust issues, remounted chip coolers, but nothing seems to solve the problem. If anyone has any idea as to what’s going on or have had similar experience, please share your thoughts/solutions. Thanks in advance!

This is my system configuration-

Motherboard – Gigabyte X58A UD3R (Bios ver. 2)
Processor – i7 950
OS – Win7 Ultimate 64bit
PSU – Corsair 750W
Memory – Corsair Dominator 12GB (9-9-9-24, 1600MHz, 1.65V)
HDD – WD Black 2TB, WD Black 1TB, WD Green 1TB & OCZ 60GB SSD
VGA – XFX Radeon 6950 2GB (stopped working)/ replaced it with Asus 210 till the replacement arrives
Network – Asus N13 wireless
2x Bluray combo
Case – Corsair 600T
Cooling – Corsair H100 for the chip

If the computer was flown from Australia to India the Corsair H100 could be experiencing problems from being subjected to high altitudes, there are a lot of possibilities like trapped air that could have been expanded and held in the pump motor housing, which is bad.

100C is way too hot even with an environmental change like has happened something is definitely wrong with the cooling, since you say you've reseated the cooling try turning the computer upside down, and rock it back and forth to dislodge a trapped air bubble, just in case that could be the problem.

Did you see any signs what so ever of coolant loss draining into the computer, I'm not exactly sure what affects high altitude could have on a water cooling closed loop CPU cooler, but that's probably had some effect, if it was flown between the 2 locations.

You may need to contact Corsair support and tell them about this situation.

Your other shipping option would have been by ship and road, which would have only brought vibration and rough handling into the picture, either way it's always a good idea to pull the cooling solution and pack it separately from the computer.

How old is the H100 anyway?

Some have experienced problems with the H100 and haven't shipped it anywhere!
Score
December 4, 2012 4:00:06 PM

You guys were right! It was indeed the Corsair H100. I just replaced it with the stock cooler and it brought the temps. down by 50o! That’s a massive change. Nevertheless, I think 50o is still quite high temp. when idle. I will reapply thermal paste when it arrives and will let you know of any progress.

Thank you all for your valuable inputs! Much appreciated :)  !
Score
December 4, 2012 5:06:18 PM

Make sure to select a "best answer" :) 
Score
December 8, 2012 2:42:20 AM

Best answer selected by Dreamagicz.
Score
!