Sign in with
Your question

Help ocing my i5 3570K to 4.5ghz stable!

Last response: in CPUs
December 4, 2012 6:48:23 AM

so I've got an i5 3570K that I'm trying to keep @ 4.5ghz stable...However, the vcore gets to 1.34 on full load, and that obviously boosts up the heat on ivy bridge like no tomorrow. My processor can't run prime95 for more than an hour, before temps go way up...It doesn't crashes, but temps start to get high 60's.

So far, I have this chip @ 4.2ghz stable and never goes past 60C on full load...Heres a pic I took on all 4 cores 100 percent. http://i48.tinypic.com/2yzecn5.png

The Vcore is 1.244 stable, which isn't bad, but at that voltage, my chip should be clocked @ 4.5ghz at least. This seems to be a common problem for some of the 3570k chips, i've read everything from going to custom loop, to increasing multiplier, hard setting etc. Some chips can't stay 4.3ghz stable @ 1.2v, unless cooler is drastically changed, or messing with multipliers/voltage.

What do you guys think, I know its 5 percent increase pretty much no real world performance gain, but it's still nice to know that my chip can run @ 4.5ghz...which it cant :[

4.2ghz @ 1.2V stable isn't bad I guess, so what are my options? Go with a custom loop, or just be happy @ this settings.
a b à CPUs
December 4, 2012 8:16:32 AM

When you overclock, your core voltage is supposed to go up because the processor needs more juice to keep it running as it gets faster, so don't even worry about your core voltage. Whats important is your temps. 60 degrees is okay but IMO its too high for an i5. What are you using to cool?
m
l
a b à CPUs
December 4, 2012 8:20:18 AM

and dont forget prime95 put an unrealistic stress on the cpu that you wont do in real life use

to me its stable if i can do all the stuff i normally do and it never crashes
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
December 4, 2012 8:22:19 AM

mcnumpty23 said:
and dont forget prime95 put an unrealistic stress on the cpu that you wont do in real life use

to me its stable if i can do all the stuff i normally do and it never crashes

There's no doubt about stability but I think the guy is just worried if his processor is gonna start dying because of the temps
m
l
a b à CPUs
December 4, 2012 8:29:54 AM

he wont get those temps in every day use

to me prime95 is kind of like getting in your car and red lining it for a few hours to test the engine--of course the engine will get hotter than the way you normally drive it

but in everyday driving you dont constantly have the engine at 10,000rpm

m
l
a b à CPUs
December 4, 2012 8:46:16 AM

Tjmax is 105C. As long as you're below that you're fine.
m
l
!