IBM uh oh...

alc101ma

Distinguished
May 22, 2001
I just bought a couple of 60GXP's. Then I came across this article at http://www.hexus.net/article.php?review=209.

I had always thought IBM made great drives too... DOH! I really hope mine come out ok. Do you guys think the problem is as bad as the article makes it out to be???

FatBurger

Illustrious
<A HREF="http://www.hexus.net/article.php?review=209" target="_new">Click</A>

IBM drives are very nice, and very inconsistent (lately). There've been a lot of recent complaints about them.

-----------------------
Quarter pounder inside

G

There have been problems with the 75gxp.
That doesn't mean there have to be trouble with the 60gxp..
It's too early to say..
I do not know the guys at hexus, but i don't think they know so much about HD:s as it looks like.

"The point is manufacturers want as much data per platter as they can get, as this leads to cheaper drives with less plates. BUT! The data is too densely packed, and this causes heat problems. The constant heating/cooling cycles contaminates the data on the adjacent plate"

That is just a guess, nothing more..

blah

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
ok, you got me twice...

""The constant heating/cooling cycles...."

"That is just a guess, nothing more..""

That might be "just a guess", but I guess that is a really good one, cos, since I started to cool my drives really, really well (they are getting just a little warm, not hot like before), I have had no clicking or cracking in the drives anymore. So those guys are probably good guessers I guess.

Anyway, even we like to play "I am the smartest as*" here, I must say that I did not have faster drive than IBM, even I was a little concerned about their reliability before. But now I care less, nothing is reliable in this world, there is just a different probability of failure in different products, so you choose which one gives you more peace of mind (I usually choose which one gives me best bang for the buck, not peace of mind)..

Have fun.

it's my life, don't tell me what to do with it...