korvisus

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2012
im about to get one of these (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883229285)

i would ordinarily not consider purchasing a cyberpower pc... for obvious reasons... but its a rediculously good price for a computer with a 3.6g processor and a graphics card that is workable. the reviews mentioned being able to run skyrim on full settings, which is about all i need to hear about it... and about the reviews, the vast majority of them are positive. most people mention the psu being crappy, but i have no problem buying a new psu if that one goes out, for that price.

is there anything else i should be aware of? im relatively computer savvy. ive replaced the motherboard on my laptop several times before, along with other various components... i am willing to try building my own computer. is there any way i could build a computer with those specs for that, or slightly higher, cost?

thank you very much in advance.

korvisus

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2012
yeeeeah... upon closer inspection of the 296 reviews..... newegg has a system where a reviewer has to put their tech experience or level of expertise, along with how long they have owned the item in question.

looking a little closer, you can see that the people who complain about BSOD or any other host of problems... are average or lower than average expertise level. everybody who said they replaced the power supply right off the bat and opened the box up to make sure everything was seated correctly after shipping, reported getting a perfect computer, and being very happy. People who were lower than average expertise level, or those who said nothing about opening the case after shipping or replacing the psu, said they had tons of problems and advise not purchasing the computer.... i may be making a big mistake.... but im going to go with that computer. im planning on getting a psu along with the computer purchase, and of course going through and making sure everything is seated and plugged correctly.. the only other thing i need to be worried about is damage during shipping, which it seems UPS loves to run a bulldozer over your computer while shipping...

azbill12

Honorable
Jul 26, 2012

Don't know if this helps but I gave this reply to someone else asking about cyberpower =

Hi - Just received a new system from cyberpower. Waited five weeks for delivery but it was worth the wait. I'm happy and I will buy from them again. There are bugs and "problems" to be dealt with but the technical support is great. One heads up is to take great care in removing the packing foam (for shipping protection) from the inside of the computer. Break off little pieces of the shipping foam about the size of a marble at a time. It'll take time to break it all out but be patient (don't attempt while drunk :) ) You have to remove the left case panel to remove the shipping foam. If you have fans on the left side of the case the case fan wires are going to come off of the motherboard so don't freak out. You can call cyberpower and they will walk you thru how to reconnect the detached case fan wires. Your motherboard guide will also tell you where the case fan wires go but cal them anyway. You can call them for anything. I recommend cyberpower without reservation!