I5 3470 or i5 3570k

If you were to throw it straight into the rig and not touch it, the 3570k. Comes with a higher clock and boost speed.
If you intend to overclock, then the 3570k is your only option.

Though considering you have a H77 board (and therefore cant overclock), the i5-3570 (non-K) is your best option.

payturr

Honorable
Dec 3, 2012
Well there are your options. I know MSI has some solid Z77 motherboards that overclock for around 100$-200$, so if you wanna start overclocking there's an option, but its really up to personal preference & budget. The 3570 is much faster, and is definitely worth the money, but I'd pay the extra 20$ just to get it unlocked because the value of the CPU lasts long because it can stay for several rigs.

Why do you think I didn't mention it?
IMO an Ivy Bridge system doesnt really need to be upgraded until Skylake (The architecture after Haswell/Broadwell), that's when I am going to do my next platform upgrade.

Though if you held out until Haswell and got something like an i7 I can see it being worthwhile.

payturr

Honorable
Dec 3, 2012

No because if you ever decide to buy a motherboard & a good cooler, you can overclock. Just think about what you plan to do lets say, 6-12 months down the road with it. If you don't see yourself doing it, go for the 3570.

Australian build. Amazon, Newegg, Tigerdirect and all those American sites arent an option (costs way too much to import, if the options even available).

Yea, I'v had good dealings with PC Case Gear before, really good customer service. Gumtree I would be wary of as it is essentially the Australian version of Craigslist.

Have a look at MSY and Umart as well, also had good dealings with them.
http://www.umart.com.au/
http://www.msy.com.au/index.jsp

If your after just a standard OS drive, then a Samsung 830. If its going to be an output drive for recording, video editing or otherwise will have a lot of data being written to it very fast, an OCZ Vertex 4. Get at least 128GB, otherwise it gets used up fairly quickly.

MSY's range isnt that great, especially when it comes to SSD's. That Kingston drive is meh.

Dunno, but there is little difference between different pastes. Think the difference between the best and worst pastes was like 2c. Though I think a better CPU cooler will be more important than the paste (aftermarket coolers often come with paste anyway).

TRENDING THREADS