question

G

History:
I recently purchased a 30 Gig Maxtor harddrive and installed it on the primary IDE contoller. I then attached my old 8 Gig to the same controller but as a slave. Doing this, both drives were automatically set to run on DOS compatibility mode and showing errors in the device manager(a bad thing). The way I was able to get around this was to keep the 30 Gig as primary master and move to the 8 Gig drive to the secondary master controller. Note that I have a slave CD ROM drive running slave to the 8 Gig drive. All connections are through enhanced 80 conductor IDE ribbon cables.

Issue:
Copying between the 30 Gig and 8 Gig and vise versa is painfully slow. Is this because the two drives are on separate channels?

Any comments are appreciated.
Ghost

Spdy_Gonzales

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2001
I would think having the drives on separate IDE channels would facilitate copying. If the 8G drive is not ATA66/100, then using the 40wire rather than the 80wire cable might make a difference.

:smile: <font color=green>I wonder...what is the speed of gravity!<font color=green> :smile:

FatBurger

Illustrious
Someone around here said something about a 40 wire cable helping (instead of an 80 wire), that might be the problem. Your 8 gig might just be too old and is dragging your whole system down, in a way. It's possible, maybe even probable.

-----------------------
Quarter pounder inside

G

Hey all thank you for the response so far.
I looked up the 8 Gig harddrive on the maxtor site. Its a ATA 33 or UDMA 2 hardrive, and they recommend an 80 wire IDE interface cable (which is what I'm using)

The mobo is a Brilliant X1 made by QDI. Bios is updated

Thanks//Ghost

G

Update:
Problem solved by disabling DMA on the old drive.
Thanks//Ghost

Spdy_Gonzales

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2001
If the drive is an ATA33, then it is possible that it might work better with the 40 wire cable. The point is that there arn't that many things that could be causing the problem. It will only take five minutes to see if it works better with the 40 wire cable. If that solves the problem, great, but if it doesn't, then we will know for certain that it isn't the 80 wire cable causing the problem.

:smile: <font color=green>I wonder...what is the speed of gravity!<font color=green> :smile:

Lars_Coleman

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
The 80 wire cable should make no difference what so ever. You have 40 regular wires, w/ 40 ground wires, and it's a 40 pin cable. It should be all around a better cable to use for any drive. I use them in any situation!

<font color=red>"Can you deal with that!"</font color=red>

G

I know what you mean. You would think this would be the case. In theory it certainly seems that way but practise sometimes proves otherwise, because it doesn't explain why the problem exist and sometimes using a 40 wire cable solves it.

***check the jumpers 1st then check em again***

Spdy_Gonzales

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2001
Yup, there is another recent thread where someone had a problem that was resolved by switching from the 80 wire to the 40 wire cable. I don't recall the details, but it might have been in connection with a CD Writer or CD ROM. If I find it I'll post the link.

G

I've had this same problem. I was using an 80 wire cable on my cdrom drive. I thought if the 80 wire cable did anything it would help reduce noise, etc... But I kept getting BSOD's trying to load the OS. I switched to a 40 wire cable and haven't had a problem since.

<font color=blue>This space left intentionally blank. Doh!</font color=blue>