CookieMonger

Honorable
May 3, 2012
My friend is trying to build a new gaming computer (his first) and so far has only hard drives. Could somebody please comment on the value of this Tigerdirect bundle?
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=7494480&Sku=B69-0680&SRCCODE=LINKSHARE&cm_mmc_o=-ddCjC1bELltzywCjC-d2CjCdwwp&AffiliateID=lw9MynSeamY-IN7nFBYeP6NaW9QuhhXaWA

Is the Phenom X4 945 still a relevant gaming CPU or would it be perhaps more beneficial to spend a few hundred more for an i5. Thanks guys.

Solution
The processor is outdated. The bundle doesn't have a monitor and a GPU and the other name for gaming is 'GPU'.

I'd suggest a Bulldozer series AMD CPU or an i5 2500k (3rd Gen) if he doesn't have money issues.
Be sure to get atleast a basic GPU like the AMD 7750/7770

Tell him to build a custom rig rather than a bundle. It saves some bucks.
I prefer newegg shellshocker specials such as this one: http://www.newegg.com/Special/ShellShocker.aspx?cm_sp=ShellShocker-_-1149174-_-12042012_1 even if you have to pay some sales tax (CA residents only). They have these specials with much smaller rebates. The 945-965 cpus still make good cpus for gaming; just be sure you have enough leftover for a decent video card and power supply. coolermaster isn't the best, but it's better than some other low end ps. I like corsair and antec, and currently use ocz (very quiet and reliable). Newegg typically has about two combo specials per week (the shellshocker are only good for one day and save you 15-25%). Keep checking back; they sometimes have 1155 combos for under $500 with premium cases and power supplies.

mihir94

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2011
The processor is outdated. The bundle doesn't have a monitor and a GPU and the other name for gaming is 'GPU'.

I'd suggest a Bulldozer series AMD CPU or an i5 2500k (3rd Gen) if he doesn't have money issues.
Be sure to get atleast a basic GPU like the AMD 7750/7770

Tell him to build a custom rig rather than a bundle. It saves some bucks.

Solution

Curtis2400

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2012
First of all How much has he got to spend overall?

What I can see from the bundle is its very cheap so im guessing he doesnt have alot to spend plus your asking is it relevant for gaming. Also is he getting a Graphics card im hoping he is,

You could just put a graphics card in and thats it It would play games on like Medium But it wouldnt be anything special Plus What kind of GPU would he get?.

The PSU looks very cheap, You dont want to go cheap on a PSU--- What you looking for is a 80plus Bronze/GOLD/Platinum

The CPU looks fine I think alot of low end gamers use these

RAM/Memory- Fine for gaming 4GB-8GB will do. DDR3 memory up to 1333MHz on that Motherboard

Motherboard Looks fine it has some good reviews on it, But just very cheap £33 here in the UK

The only reason its $149,99 because your spending alot for the case its like £88 here what I could find

So all I can say is Buy A new 80PLUS Gold power supply, Maybe I different Motherboard like a Asus M5A78L-M/USB3 AMD 760G (Socket AM3+) DDR3 MicroATX Motherboard, And a cheaper PC tower so to put it simple

AMD Phenom II X4 945
80PLUS Gold power supply. (Corsair) (Corsair Builder Series CX 500W V2 '80 Plus Bronze)
Asus M5A78L-M/USB3 AMD 760G
2x Corsair XMS3 4GB DDR3 RAM/ Maybe later on upgrade to 8GB 1600MHZ ones.
Corsair Carbide Series 200R I would go for Loads of space for air

Just trying to help But at the end of the day 'YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR' Hope this helped a little bit :D

CookieMonger

Honorable
May 3, 2012
Just trying to convince him to get something. He's been talking about building one for going on a year now and he proudly announced to me that he "started building it" last month when he bought 2 storage devices and a keyboard. *facepalm*
I was just looking for something that would be simple/sufficient for gaming in hopes that he might finally do it.
I suppose I'll advise him to look elsewhere, thanks for all the comments.
He quoted me $1000 budget though to be honest If he tries to spend that much I fear we won't be playing for another year...

TRENDING THREADS