Diminishing returns?

G

I'm thinking of upgrading my PC's memory. I'm running a P4 1.3 GHZ. I'm at 128MB but might jump to 640MB. I can see two potential reasons why going this high might be pointless:

1) The operating system can't take advantage of it, restricting all the apps from using the capacity as well. Would this vary by Windows ME, 2000 and XP?

2) The operating system can use all of it, but very few applications could.

I'm using my PC for 3D games, number crunching and photo editing.

Thanks for any advice.

P.S. - Does anyone know if Rambus will cut their prices alongside Intel's August announcement?

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
That's a huge jump considering you're using RDRAM (which is extremely expensive). Instead of upgrading to 640MB RAM, I suggest you get another 128MB of RAM and get a faster Pentium4. You'll see more of an improvement by upgrading the processor itself. The 1.3GHz Pentium4 is known to be an underperformer.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

FatBurger

Illustrious
1) NT/2000/XP will be able to, 95/98/ME cannot.

2) Depends on how many and what type of apps you're going to use. I wouldn't recommend over 512 (because of price), which means that 95/98/ME would be ok anyway.

No, RDRAM is not going to get any cheaper because P4s are. If P4s actually do be half the price, last time they weren't really.

-----------------------
Quarter pounder inside