best CPU for 3d apps

twofruitz

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2003
im using 3dsmax 6, photoshop, dreamweaver ect. should i be looking to upgrade to a 3.2,3.4,3.6 or a 3500AMD???

my current system below

2.6C
ABIT IC7-Max3
2x Kingmax SuperRam 512 DDR433
GeXcube 9800pro @ 450/750
80G Seagate S-ATA150
Antec Super Lanboy w/ 350 Smart Blue PSU

RichPLS

Champion
Will that mobo support a Prescott 3.4?

========================
Try everything...
Do not be afraid of failure, for this is how we learn and grow...
Live life to the fullest...
Do not regret what you have not yet done!!!

sonoran

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2002
Why not just run the system you have now at 3.2+ GHz. It'll probably overclock to that, although there are never any guarantees. I've been running my 2.6C at 3.25GHz for the past year without so much as a hiccup.

Cybercraig

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I agree! Clock it up first and see what you have.

Abit IS7 - 3.0C @ 3.6ghz - Mushkin PC4000 (2 X 512) - Sapphire 9800Pro - TT 420 watt Pure Power
Samsung 120gb ATA-100 - Maxtor 40gb ATA - 100
Sony DRU-510A - Yellowtail Merlot

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
This is a messed up year for building a new system. Seems like Intel just released LGA775 and in a few months all current boards will be outdated with the release of new chipsets and processors for the new 1066 bus. As for AMD solutions, current boards will be replaced early next year with PCIe solutions. So while you can build an excellent system NOW, if you already have a great system it seems like you'd simply be wasting money on a very short term solution.

So if you had an old system I'd probably build now, but since you don't I'd simply overclock what you have.

Does your system really seem laggy? For memory intensive applications you might consider going with more RAM. In fact, the types of applications that push MY system to the limit respond better to increased RAM than to increased clock speed.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

endyen

Splendid
If you really dont want to OC, the P4c 3.4 is $335 at newegg. That seems like a lot of money for a small upgrade, but it would be the fastest Intel setup I would feel okay about recommending right now.
You may regret not getting an A64 system, early next year, but from the sound of your upgrade cycle, not for long.

Kanavit

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2004
Your IC7max3 mobo should support Prescott, Northwood, and Gallatin core up to 3.40ghz and beyond. I think the prescott is slightly better than northwood in doom3 though.

------
A64 3400+ Newcastle
1GB PC 4000 Kingston HyperX
Asus K8V basic Bios 1004
PNY Geforce 6800 GT 256MB DDR3
70,261 Aquamarks

trooper11

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2004
why does everyone give advice that every user should overclock thier p4 or ahtlon 64's? overclocking is not for the mainstream user. in fact is requires better cooling then the standard cooling, and tweaks to the system that if done incorrectly can cause damage to the system. sure it may be like turing on a switch for the enthusiasts around here, but to recommend to just anyone is not useful.

i never get ppl also making recommendations on cpus to users because one might overclock better then the other, imo overclocking would only rarely be a deciding factor in anyones buy, except for the less then 1% of the enthusasist.

Cybercraig

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
why does everyone give advice that every user should overclock thier p4 or ahtlon 64's?
???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Because of the difference it makes with the P4-2.6C. The 3.2C's remain ungodly expensive so why not try an overclock first. I wouldn't recommend it for everyone, especially somebody with a Prescott. In this case though it makes sense since he can get there with stock cooling.

Abit IS7 - 3.0C @ 3.6ghz - Mushkin PC4000 (2 X 512) - Sapphire 9800Pro - TT 420 watt Pure Power
Samsung 120gb ATA-100 - Maxtor 40gb ATA - 100
Sony DRU-510A - Yellowtail Merlot

coylter

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2003
trooper, <A HREF="http://www.home.no/norwolf/stfu.gif" target="_new">my advice</A>

Seriously, did you know that a p4 2.4c , 2.6c , 3.0c , 3,2c etc... are all the same chips(better or worse quality depending on their original position on the waffer)... Almost any 2.6c should overclock to 3.2ish speed with the stock cooler.

Overclocking is not hard (you should know that if you at least did it). There is ONE damn thing to change in the bios..... you change FSB from 200 to 210(idk the p4 multiplier so this is a guess)and you see if it work and if it dosnt crash OUUUUUUUU....you dont need to be a genious to do that.

My 0.03 cent.

Click <font color=blue><A HREF="http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/you.html" target="_new">HERE</A></font color=blue> if you realy are an <font color=red>idiot</font color=red>.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by coylter on 09/19/04 04:48 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

trooper11

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2004
well it is true that if oyu have the right mobo that the overclock should be simple with a northwood on stock cooling, but i still prefer to have a stock system whenever im doing mission critical work. i have a p4 and ahtlon fx system that i do have oc'ed and use for recreation, but my main system i just dont want to risk it. sure it may not be a usual occurance for an oc'ed chip to die if done properly, but whne its important enough, i wont be taking any risks, cuase its still possible for it to go wrong evne if its been done correctly. maybe im just being too careful, but its better safe then sorry.

of course if he doesnt care about the risk, then by all means do it. but my point was that the average has no business overclocking, evne if its just one step in the bios, thats one step too many for a person that has no experience with it.