Sapphire Radeon HD 5450 on a Gateway SX2800

RagingNinja

Honorable
Mar 29, 2012
Well, I have spent the last 5 hours researching whether or not my stock Gateway SX2800 PC will be able to handle a Sapphire Radeon HD 5450 with the stock 220w PSU in it.

I've had mixed results. So I'd like your opinions...

I already ordered it. LOL

This is what I want to do:

Play Just Cause 2

Maybe some other lightweight FPS games as well. (Not to say that Just Cause 2 is lightweight).

So what do you think? I plan on upgrading my PSU to this one: http://kdmpower.com/flex.html (Bottom of the page)

But it could very well be 3-4 months before I can afford it. (Got some other priorities)

DM186

Splendid
Well lets see here. On your PSU is a sticker, on the sticker are a bunch of numbers. The number or numbers I am look for are the amps on the 12v rail. Some PSU's have two 12v rails.

You will probley only have one. If you could look and write down all the numbers that go with these for example 3.3v = 15a + 5v = 14a + 12v = 14a. If you have more than one 12v rail it will look like this 12v1 and 12v2.

Your 5450 only needs 19w on max load which is good. So the amps on the 12v rail should be and to be safe with head room 12 to 14 amps. You should be able to run that card but need to be sure first.

Get back to us with the info and we will be able to tell you good to go or not to go. Anyway good luck.

RagingNinja

Honorable
Mar 29, 2012
Okay

Here is a picture for you to examine it yourself. =D

IMG_1385.jpg

DM186

Splendid
Thanks for the pic I always like that because it tells me everything I need to know. It reads 14amps max in other words the max will be 14amps so what is continuous power?

Because your GPU will draw less than 2amps or 19w then your PSU will run your card. So if continuous is 8 to 10amps you are still safe. I hope this helpe again thanks for getting the pic.

Just so you know save up and get a good PSU like a Corsair, Antec, Seasonic, XFX, Sliver Stone, and some OCZ brands. You will find the 500w PSU are the best bang for the buck. Good luck to you.