Sign in with
Your question
Solved

If modem is not a gigabit one, will a gigabit router help?

Last response: in Networking
July 26, 2011 8:38:26 PM

Sorry if the thread subject question was not clear, but I have this situation. I have AT&T Motorola 2210-02 modem which does not handle a gigabit output. Then, if I bought a gigabit router, say Netgear WNDR3700, would I get gigabit output through the Ethernet ports even though the modem does not deliver that speed? Please, educate me, and thanks for your comments and input.
Anonymous
July 26, 2011 10:18:57 PM

Why do you think you need gigabit speed?
m
l

Best solution

July 26, 2011 11:29:51 PM

No, you wouldn't get gigabit speeds if your modem doesn't support it. On top of that though, the NIC in your computer also should support gigE. If not, your network will bottleneck at whatever device in the configuration doesn't have gigE.

The fact that all data has to be routed through these devices (from the ISP to your modem, to then your router, to your PC, then reversed) means they all have to support that larger bandwidth.

Picture a river with three checkpoints set up throughout that river. The 1st is your modem, 2nd is the router and 3rd is the PC. Now, each checkpoint defines the width of the river until it reaches the next checkpoint. In order for the same amount of water to run throughout the entire river at any given point, each checkpoint must have the same width. Otherwise, the river will narrow some and not all the same amount will run through that section as apposed to the others.

Make sense?

P.S. Even though your hardware might support those faster speeds, that doesn't mean you'll actually get them. A lot of variables constitute actual network speeds, so unless you're using services that you know for a fact utilize that larger bandwidth, there's no need for it.
Related resources
July 27, 2011 3:24:42 AM

Quote:
Why do you think you need gigabit speed?

I think I need a gigabit speed for my Toshiba laptop has a Ethernet port which handles gigabit speed, and it would be a waste of technology not to use it as its usage was intended. Thanks.
m
l
July 27, 2011 3:34:03 AM

calmstateofmind said:
No, you wouldn't get gigabit speeds if your modem doesn't support it. On top of that though, the NIC in your computer also should support gigE. If not, your network will bottleneck at whatever device in the configuration doesn't have gigE.

The fact that all data has to be routed through these devices (from the ISP to your modem, to then your router, to your PC, then reversed) means they all have to support that larger bandwidth.

Picture a river with three checkpoints set up throughout that river. The 1st is your modem, 2nd is the router and 3rd is the PC. Now, each checkpoint defines the width of the river until it reaches the next checkpoint. In order for the same amount of water to run throughout the entire river at any given point, each checkpoint must have the same width. Otherwise, the river will narrow some and not all the same amount will run through that section as apposed to the others.

Make sense?

P.S. Even though your hardware might support those faster speeds, that doesn't mean you'll actually get them. A lot of variables constitute actual network speeds, so unless you're using services that you know for a fact utilize that larger bandwidth, there's no need for it.

As I mentioned in one of my answers, my new Toshiba laptop does have a megabit Ethernet port. Thus, I was looking to buy a new router, possibly a NETGEAR, with megabit ports, but I can see that the bottleneck will be on my Motorola 2210-02 ADSL router, and perhaps even my own AT&T ISP even when I do have DSL Pro service or subcription. This will make my decision much easier, and I will buy NETGEAR WNDR3400 router instead of WNDR3700 model with megabit ports. I hope I make sense too. Thanks for your sound advice.
m
l
July 27, 2011 3:40:52 AM

calmstateofmind said:
What's the laptop model?

It is a customized Toshiba Satellite P770-BT4G22 with these Specs, and it does have a gigabit Ethernet port. It seems like a waste of technology for my situation, for I can't take full advantage of this Ethernet port.
m
l
Anonymous
July 27, 2011 11:16:58 AM

orestesdd said:
It is a customized Toshiba Satellite P770-BT4G22 with these Specs, and it does have a gigabit Ethernet port. It seems like a waste of technology for my situation, for I can't take full advantage of this Ethernet port.

Since your internet connection is not going to be anything close to 1 gbps, you can use any router.
m
l
July 27, 2011 3:06:11 PM

Best answer selected by orestesdd.
m
l
July 28, 2011 6:55:24 PM

To clarify things a bit. Your internet connection is in all likelyhood well under 100mb, so the modem LAN connection is irrelevant to your other speeds. If you get a gigabit router, the computers will talk to each-other at that speed (as long as they all have gigabit network cards) for file transfer amongs themselves. Having a gigabit network will not speed up your internet connection at all, but if you move files around a lot, or share movies or music off a PC, that will be faster/smoother.
m
l
July 29, 2011 3:45:56 PM

hang-the-9 said:
To clarify things a bit. Your internet connection is in all likelyhood well under 100mb, so the modem LAN connection is irrelevant to your other speeds. If you get a gigabit router, the computers will talk to each-other at that speed (as long as they all have gigabit network cards) for file transfer amongs themselves. Having a gigabit network will not speed up your internet connection at all, but if you move files around a lot, or share movies or music off a PC, that will be faster/smoother.

Thanks for the clarification. I don't transfer files that often or music or video. Thus, I think it will be OK with a 10/100 router.
m
l
November 5, 2012 4:06:14 AM

orestesdd said:
Sorry if the thread subject question was not clear, but I have this situation. I have AT&T Motorola 2210-02 modem which does not handle a gigabit output. Then, if I bought a gigabit router, say Netgear WNDR3700, would I get gigabit output through the Ethernet ports even though the modem does not deliver that speed? Please, educate me, and thanks for your comments and input.

Your best answer is wrong.

Unless your ISP is giving you a 1000Mbps download speed.
Otherwise your modem doesn't matter. If all aspects of your network support Gigabit Ethernet then yes it will work.
You won't get increased download speeds, but you will get better transfer speeds on your Home network. For instance for a remote backup to a network drive, or just another computer. The speeds beetween 100Mbps and 1000Mbps is quite crazy.

For instance if you were to backup 30 Gb of music What could take you 3 hours or 180 mins might only take u 18 :) .

So to answer your question yes gigabit ethernet is great, don't expect higher download speeds with it from the web. But you can expect higher upload and download speeds on your LAN also this can make media streaming a breeze. My router is gigabit so are my rj-45 cables (ethernet cables), and my motherboard supports lan supports 1000Mbps.

But your best answer is right if you do not have the right cables to support gigabit, or if your Nic, or network card also doesn't support it.
m
l
!