Modem Crashes System

My modem is a HSP56 MR.
Runs on 95, 2000, and includes drivers for XP.

However, when I try to install, I get a message stating that it does not
have Microsoft's signature. It asks if I want to continue anyway but warns
me not too. Of course I tried it twice and twice I crashed. Any ideas on
what I can do to get the modem working.

Thanks
7 answers Last reply
More about modem crashes system

    Obviously, because the driver's are unsigned - i.e., have not been tested by
    microsoft - it is these same drivers that are causing the system to crash.
    One work around is to use standard modem drivers. If your modem is a
    fax/voice modem you will loose that functionality, but the modem should work
    to conenct you to the internet.
    To install the standard modem drivers you will need to add the hardware
    yourself, rather than xp finding the drivers for you. Proceed as follows:

    1/ Go to Control panel and Click on the Add Hardware icon
    2/ In the Add hardware window click the 'Yes I have connected the hardware
    option' and then click Next
    3/ The add new hardware device window now appears
    4/ Click on the option marked 'Install the hardware that i manually select
    from a list
    5/ The common hardware types window now appears
    6/ Select Modems from the list and then click Next
    7/ In the next window click on the box next to the option 'don't detect
    modem. I will select from list.'
    8/ The modem list window will now appear with the Standard Modem Types
    already highlighted.
    9/ In the right hand pane of the window scroll down and select 'standard
    56000bps modem'. Click next and the standard drivers should install.
    10/ after installation try your modem to see if it connects to the internet
    ok.

    --
    John Barnett MVP
    Associate Expert

    " JCO" <joliviero4@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > My modem is a HSP56 MR.
    > Runs on 95, 2000, and includes drivers for XP.
    >
    > However, when I try to install, I get a message stating that it does not
    > have Microsoft's signature. It asks if I want to continue anyway but
    > warns me not too. Of course I tried it twice and twice I crashed. Any
    > ideas on what I can do to get the modem working.
    >
    > Thanks

    I installed it but when looking in the Device Manager, I can't get rid of
    the driver that is bad. When I uninstall it, it comes back on boot or when
    I scan for hardware changes.

    The modem is onboard. I can't pull it out and boot clean.

    "John Barnett MVP" <freelanceit@mvps.org.NOSPAM> wrote in message
    > Obviously, because the driver's are unsigned - i.e., have not been tested
    > by microsoft - it is these same drivers that are causing the system to
    > crash. One work around is to use standard modem drivers. If your modem is
    > a fax/voice modem you will loose that functionality, but the modem should
    > work to conenct you to the internet.
    > To install the standard modem drivers you will need to add the hardware
    > yourself, rather than xp finding the drivers for you. Proceed as follows:
    >
    > 1/ Go to Control panel and Click on the Add Hardware icon
    > 2/ In the Add hardware window click the 'Yes I have connected the hardware
    > option' and then click Next
    > 3/ The add new hardware device window now appears
    > 4/ Click on the option marked 'Install the hardware that i manually select
    > from a list
    > 5/ The common hardware types window now appears
    > 6/ Select Modems from the list and then click Next
    > 7/ In the next window click on the box next to the option 'don't detect
    > modem. I will select from list.'
    > 8/ The modem list window will now appear with the Standard Modem Types
    > already highlighted.
    > 9/ In the right hand pane of the window scroll down and select 'standard
    > 56000bps modem'. Click next and the standard drivers should install.
    > 10/ after installation try your modem to see if it connects to the
    > internet ok.
    >

    > --
    > John Barnett MVP
    > Associate Expert
    > http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
    >

    > " JCO" <joliviero4@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> My modem is a HSP56 MR.
    >> Runs on 95, 2000, and includes drivers for XP.
    >>
    >> However, when I try to install, I get a message stating that it does not
    >> have Microsoft's signature. It asks if I want to continue anyway but
    >> warns me not too. Of course I tried it twice and twice I crashed. Any
    >> ideas on what I can do to get the modem working.
    >>
    >> Thanks

    Uninstall the driver and then close device manager. Do not scan for
    hardware. Instead use the Add hardware option as detailed in my last post.

    --

    >I installed it but when looking in the Device Manager, I can't get rid of
    >the driver that is bad. When I uninstall it, it comes back on boot or when
    >I scan for hardware changes.
    >
    > The modem is onboard. I can't pull it out and boot clean.
    >

    > "John Barnett MVP" <freelanceit@mvps.org.NOSPAM> wrote in message
    >> Obviously, because the driver's are unsigned - i.e., have not been tested
    >> by microsoft - it is these same drivers that are causing the system to
    >> crash. One work around is to use standard modem drivers. If your modem is
    >> a fax/voice modem you will loose that functionality, but the modem should
    >> work to conenct you to the internet.
    >> To install the standard modem drivers you will need to add the hardware
    >> yourself, rather than xp finding the drivers for you. Proceed as follows:
    >>
    >> 1/ Go to Control panel and Click on the Add Hardware icon
    >> 2/ In the Add hardware window click the 'Yes I have connected the
    >> hardware option' and then click Next
    >> 3/ The add new hardware device window now appears
    >> 4/ Click on the option marked 'Install the hardware that i manually
    >> select from a list
    >> 5/ The common hardware types window now appears
    >> 6/ Select Modems from the list and then click Next
    >> 7/ In the next window click on the box next to the option 'don't detect
    >> modem. I will select from list.'
    >> 8/ The modem list window will now appear with the Standard Modem Types
    >> already highlighted.
    >> 9/ In the right hand pane of the window scroll down and select 'standard
    >> 56000bps modem'. Click next and the standard drivers should install.
    >> 10/ after installation try your modem to see if it connects to the
    >> internet ok.
    >>

    >> --
    >> John Barnett MVP
    >> Associate Expert
    >> http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
    >>

    >> " JCO" <joliviero4@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >>> My modem is a HSP56 MR.
    >>> Runs on 95, 2000, and includes drivers for XP.
    >>>
    >>> However, when I try to install, I get a message stating that it does not
    >>> have Microsoft's signature. It asks if I want to continue anyway but
    >>> warns me not too. Of course I tried it twice and twice I crashed. Any
    >>> ideas on what I can do to get the modem working.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks

    I did do it the way you explained. What I meant to say is that it is still
    not working. Then by looking in the Device Manager, it shows the previous
    driver still installed. I tried several times. Finally I disabled the
    original driver so that it would stop installing. However, the generic 56k
    driver is not working.

    > Uninstall the driver and then close device manager. Do not scan for
    > hardware. Instead use the Add hardware option as detailed in my last post.
    >
    > --
    > John Barnett MVP
    > Associate Expert
    > http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
    >

    > " JCO" <joliviero4@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >>I installed it but when looking in the Device Manager, I can't get rid of
    >>the driver that is bad. When I uninstall it, it comes back on boot or
    >>when I scan for hardware changes.
    >>
    >> The modem is onboard. I can't pull it out and boot clean.
    >>

    >> "John Barnett MVP" <freelanceit@mvps.org.NOSPAM> wrote in message
    >>> Obviously, because the driver's are unsigned - i.e., have not been
    >>> tested by microsoft - it is these same drivers that are causing the
    >>> system to crash. One work around is to use standard modem drivers. If
    >>> your modem is a fax/voice modem you will loose that functionality, but
    >>> the modem should work to conenct you to the internet.
    >>> To install the standard modem drivers you will need to add the hardware
    >>> yourself, rather than xp finding the drivers for you. Proceed as
    >>> follows:
    >>>
    >>> 1/ Go to Control panel and Click on the Add Hardware icon
    >>> 2/ In the Add hardware window click the 'Yes I have connected the
    >>> hardware option' and then click Next
    >>> 3/ The add new hardware device window now appears
    >>> 4/ Click on the option marked 'Install the hardware that i manually
    >>> select from a list
    >>> 5/ The common hardware types window now appears
    >>> 6/ Select Modems from the list and then click Next
    >>> 7/ In the next window click on the box next to the option 'don't detect
    >>> modem. I will select from list.'
    >>> 8/ The modem list window will now appear with the Standard Modem Types
    >>> already highlighted.
    >>> 9/ In the right hand pane of the window scroll down and select 'standard
    >>> 56000bps modem'. Click next and the standard drivers should install.
    >>> 10/ after installation try your modem to see if it connects to the
    >>> internet ok.
    >>>

    >>> --
    >>> John Barnett MVP
    >>> Associate Expert
    >>> http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
    >>>

    >>> " JCO" <joliviero4@hotmail.com> wrote in message

    What exactly is happenning after the generic driver is installed? Do you get
    any error messages? Check the event viewer (control panel>administrative
    tools> event viewer) and see if there are any error messages regarding your
    modem.
    Is this a new machine? How long have you had this problem? Has the modem
    'ever' worked? It may not simply be a driver problem it may be that the
    modem itself is faulty but, as you say, it is onboard so you can't actually
    pull it out and check. As the modem is onboard have you checked the BIOS to
    see if the modem is actually enabled?

    --

    >I did do it the way you explained. What I meant to say is that it is still
    >not working. Then by looking in the Device Manager, it shows the previous
    >driver still installed. I tried several times. Finally I disabled the
    >original driver so that it would stop installing. However, the generic 56k
    >driver is not working.
    >

    > "John Barnett MVP" <freelanceit@mvps.org.NOSPAM> wrote in message
    >> Uninstall the driver and then close device manager. Do not scan for
    >> hardware. Instead use the Add hardware option as detailed in my last
    >> post.
    >>
    >> --
    >> John Barnett MVP
    >> Associate Expert
    >> http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
    >>

    >> " JCO" <joliviero4@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >>>I installed it but when looking in the Device Manager, I can't get rid of
    >>>the driver that is bad. When I uninstall it, it comes back on boot or
    >>>when I scan for hardware changes.
    >>>
    >>> The modem is onboard. I can't pull it out and boot clean.
    >>>

    >>> "John Barnett MVP" <freelanceit@mvps.org.NOSPAM> wrote in message

    Let me first answer one of the last questions.
    The machine has multiple harddrives in a cradle, therefore, I swap drives to
    work in different environments. The modem works fine in Windows 2000, which
    I use most of the time (programming and web stuff).

    I'm doing Video Conversions (video camera to DVD) on another harddrive which
    is WindowsXP. Therefore, the modem is good, but will not work in Windows
    XP. It try's to dial (you can hear it) and it dials the correct digits,
    then it says "Disconnected".

    I will have to get back on that computer (HD) before answering the rest of
    your questions.
    Thanks

    > What exactly is happenning after the generic driver is installed? Do you
    get
    > any error messages? Check the event viewer (control panel>administrative
    > tools> event viewer) and see if there are any error messages regarding
    your
    > modem.
    > Is this a new machine? How long have you had this problem? Has the modem
    > 'ever' worked? It may not simply be a driver problem it may be that the
    > modem itself is faulty but, as you say, it is onboard so you can't
    actually
    > pull it out and check. As the modem is onboard have you checked the BIOS
    > see if the modem is actually enabled?
    >
    > --
    > John Barnett MVP
    > Associate Expert
    > http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
    >

    > " JCO" <joliviero4@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > >I did do it the way you explained. What I meant to say is that it is
    still
    > >not working. Then by looking in the Device Manager, it shows the
    previous
    > >driver still installed. I tried several times. Finally I disabled the
    > >original driver so that it would stop installing. However, the generic
    56k
    > >driver is not working.
    > >

    > > "John Barnett MVP" <freelanceit@mvps.org.NOSPAM> wrote in message
    > >> Uninstall the driver and then close device manager. Do not scan for
    > >> hardware. Instead use the Add hardware option as detailed in my last
    > >> post.
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> John Barnett MVP
    > >> Associate Expert
    > >> http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
    > >>

    > >> " JCO" <joliviero4@hotmail.com> wrote in message

    Types

    Their are no logs created when this error happens.
    It simply says that it cannot find a modem, then disconnects.

    "John Barnett MVP" <freelanceit@mvps.org.NOSPAM> wrote in message
    > What exactly is happenning after the generic driver is installed? Do you
    get
    > any error messages? Check the event viewer (control panel>administrative
    > tools> event viewer) and see if there are any error messages regarding
    your
    > modem.
    > Is this a new machine? How long have you had this problem? Has the modem
    > 'ever' worked? It may not simply be a driver problem it may be that the
    > modem itself is faulty but, as you say, it is onboard so you can't
    actually
    > pull it out and check. As the modem is onboard have you checked the BIOS
    > see if the modem is actually enabled?
    >
    > --
    > John Barnett MVP
    > Associate Expert
    > http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
    >

    > " JCO" <joliviero4@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > >I did do it the way you explained. What I meant to say is that it is
    still
    > >not working. Then by looking in the Device Manager, it shows the
    previous
    > >driver still installed. I tried several times. Finally I disabled the
    > >original driver so that it would stop installing. However, the generic
    56k
    > >driver is not working.
    > >

    > > "John Barnett MVP" <freelanceit@mvps.org.NOSPAM> wrote in message
    > >> Uninstall the driver and then close device manager. Do not scan for
    > >> hardware. Instead use the Add hardware option as detailed in my last
    > >> post.
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> John Barnett MVP
    > >> Associate Expert
    > >> http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
    > >>

    > >> " JCO" <joliviero4@hotmail.com> wrote in message

    Types

Configuration Modem Microsoft Customization Windows XP