Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Modem Crashes System

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
Anonymous
April 12, 2005 11:17:47 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

My modem is a HSP56 MR.
Runs on 95, 2000, and includes drivers for XP.

However, when I try to install, I get a message stating that it does not
have Microsoft's signature. It asks if I want to continue anyway but warns
me not too. Of course I tried it twice and twice I crashed. Any ideas on
what I can do to get the modem working.

Thanks

More about : modem crashes system

Anonymous
April 13, 2005 12:40:55 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

Obviously, because the driver's are unsigned - i.e., have not been tested by
microsoft - it is these same drivers that are causing the system to crash.
One work around is to use standard modem drivers. If your modem is a
fax/voice modem you will loose that functionality, but the modem should work
to conenct you to the internet.
To install the standard modem drivers you will need to add the hardware
yourself, rather than xp finding the drivers for you. Proceed as follows:

1/ Go to Control panel and Click on the Add Hardware icon
2/ In the Add hardware window click the 'Yes I have connected the hardware
option' and then click Next
3/ The add new hardware device window now appears
4/ Click on the option marked 'Install the hardware that i manually select
from a list
5/ The common hardware types window now appears
6/ Select Modems from the list and then click Next
7/ In the next window click on the box next to the option 'don't detect
modem. I will select from list.'
8/ The modem list window will now appear with the Standard Modem Types
already highlighted.
9/ In the right hand pane of the window scroll down and select 'standard
56000bps modem'. Click next and the standard drivers should install.
10/ after installation try your modem to see if it connects to the internet
ok.


--
John Barnett MVP
Associate Expert
http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org




" JCO" <joliviero4@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:v9V6e.8743$jd6.4929@trnddc07...
> My modem is a HSP56 MR.
> Runs on 95, 2000, and includes drivers for XP.
>
> However, when I try to install, I get a message stating that it does not
> have Microsoft's signature. It asks if I want to continue anyway but
> warns me not too. Of course I tried it twice and twice I crashed. Any
> ideas on what I can do to get the modem working.
>
> Thanks
>
>
Anonymous
April 13, 2005 1:43:49 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

I installed it but when looking in the Device Manager, I can't get rid of
the driver that is bad. When I uninstall it, it comes back on boot or when
I scan for hardware changes.

The modem is onboard. I can't pull it out and boot clean.


"John Barnett MVP" <freelanceit@mvps.org.NOSPAM> wrote in message
news:%23ek6Oe5PFHA.2736@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> Obviously, because the driver's are unsigned - i.e., have not been tested
> by microsoft - it is these same drivers that are causing the system to
> crash. One work around is to use standard modem drivers. If your modem is
> a fax/voice modem you will loose that functionality, but the modem should
> work to conenct you to the internet.
> To install the standard modem drivers you will need to add the hardware
> yourself, rather than xp finding the drivers for you. Proceed as follows:
>
> 1/ Go to Control panel and Click on the Add Hardware icon
> 2/ In the Add hardware window click the 'Yes I have connected the hardware
> option' and then click Next
> 3/ The add new hardware device window now appears
> 4/ Click on the option marked 'Install the hardware that i manually select
> from a list
> 5/ The common hardware types window now appears
> 6/ Select Modems from the list and then click Next
> 7/ In the next window click on the box next to the option 'don't detect
> modem. I will select from list.'
> 8/ The modem list window will now appear with the Standard Modem Types
> already highlighted.
> 9/ In the right hand pane of the window scroll down and select 'standard
> 56000bps modem'. Click next and the standard drivers should install.
> 10/ after installation try your modem to see if it connects to the
> internet ok.
>
>
> --
> John Barnett MVP
> Associate Expert
> http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
>
>
>
>
> " JCO" <joliviero4@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:v9V6e.8743$jd6.4929@trnddc07...
>> My modem is a HSP56 MR.
>> Runs on 95, 2000, and includes drivers for XP.
>>
>> However, when I try to install, I get a message stating that it does not
>> have Microsoft's signature. It asks if I want to continue anyway but
>> warns me not too. Of course I tried it twice and twice I crashed. Any
>> ideas on what I can do to get the modem working.
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>>
>
>
Related resources
Anonymous
April 13, 2005 5:07:03 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

Uninstall the driver and then close device manager. Do not scan for
hardware. Instead use the Add hardware option as detailed in my last post.

--
John Barnett MVP
Associate Expert
http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org


" JCO" <joliviero4@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:p iX6e.8758$jd6.272@trnddc07...
>I installed it but when looking in the Device Manager, I can't get rid of
>the driver that is bad. When I uninstall it, it comes back on boot or when
>I scan for hardware changes.
>
> The modem is onboard. I can't pull it out and boot clean.
>
>
> "John Barnett MVP" <freelanceit@mvps.org.NOSPAM> wrote in message
> news:%23ek6Oe5PFHA.2736@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
>> Obviously, because the driver's are unsigned - i.e., have not been tested
>> by microsoft - it is these same drivers that are causing the system to
>> crash. One work around is to use standard modem drivers. If your modem is
>> a fax/voice modem you will loose that functionality, but the modem should
>> work to conenct you to the internet.
>> To install the standard modem drivers you will need to add the hardware
>> yourself, rather than xp finding the drivers for you. Proceed as follows:
>>
>> 1/ Go to Control panel and Click on the Add Hardware icon
>> 2/ In the Add hardware window click the 'Yes I have connected the
>> hardware option' and then click Next
>> 3/ The add new hardware device window now appears
>> 4/ Click on the option marked 'Install the hardware that i manually
>> select from a list
>> 5/ The common hardware types window now appears
>> 6/ Select Modems from the list and then click Next
>> 7/ In the next window click on the box next to the option 'don't detect
>> modem. I will select from list.'
>> 8/ The modem list window will now appear with the Standard Modem Types
>> already highlighted.
>> 9/ In the right hand pane of the window scroll down and select 'standard
>> 56000bps modem'. Click next and the standard drivers should install.
>> 10/ after installation try your modem to see if it connects to the
>> internet ok.
>>
>>
>> --
>> John Barnett MVP
>> Associate Expert
>> http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
>>
>>
>>
>>
>> " JCO" <joliviero4@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> news:v9V6e.8743$jd6.4929@trnddc07...
>>> My modem is a HSP56 MR.
>>> Runs on 95, 2000, and includes drivers for XP.
>>>
>>> However, when I try to install, I get a message stating that it does not
>>> have Microsoft's signature. It asks if I want to continue anyway but
>>> warns me not too. Of course I tried it twice and twice I crashed. Any
>>> ideas on what I can do to get the modem working.
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>>
>>>
>>
>>
>
>
Anonymous
April 13, 2005 6:56:06 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

I did do it the way you explained. What I meant to say is that it is still
not working. Then by looking in the Device Manager, it shows the previous
driver still installed. I tried several times. Finally I disabled the
original driver so that it would stop installing. However, the generic 56k
driver is not working.


"John Barnett MVP" <freelanceit@mvps.org.NOSPAM> wrote in message
news:%233VN%23y7PFHA.2384@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> Uninstall the driver and then close device manager. Do not scan for
> hardware. Instead use the Add hardware option as detailed in my last post.
>
> --
> John Barnett MVP
> Associate Expert
> http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
>
>
> " JCO" <joliviero4@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:p iX6e.8758$jd6.272@trnddc07...
>>I installed it but when looking in the Device Manager, I can't get rid of
>>the driver that is bad. When I uninstall it, it comes back on boot or
>>when I scan for hardware changes.
>>
>> The modem is onboard. I can't pull it out and boot clean.
>>
>>
>> "John Barnett MVP" <freelanceit@mvps.org.NOSPAM> wrote in message
>> news:%23ek6Oe5PFHA.2736@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
>>> Obviously, because the driver's are unsigned - i.e., have not been
>>> tested by microsoft - it is these same drivers that are causing the
>>> system to crash. One work around is to use standard modem drivers. If
>>> your modem is a fax/voice modem you will loose that functionality, but
>>> the modem should work to conenct you to the internet.
>>> To install the standard modem drivers you will need to add the hardware
>>> yourself, rather than xp finding the drivers for you. Proceed as
>>> follows:
>>>
>>> 1/ Go to Control panel and Click on the Add Hardware icon
>>> 2/ In the Add hardware window click the 'Yes I have connected the
>>> hardware option' and then click Next
>>> 3/ The add new hardware device window now appears
>>> 4/ Click on the option marked 'Install the hardware that i manually
>>> select from a list
>>> 5/ The common hardware types window now appears
>>> 6/ Select Modems from the list and then click Next
>>> 7/ In the next window click on the box next to the option 'don't detect
>>> modem. I will select from list.'
>>> 8/ The modem list window will now appear with the Standard Modem Types
>>> already highlighted.
>>> 9/ In the right hand pane of the window scroll down and select 'standard
>>> 56000bps modem'. Click next and the standard drivers should install.
>>> 10/ after installation try your modem to see if it connects to the
>>> internet ok.
>>>
>>>
>>> --
>>> John Barnett MVP
>>> Associate Expert
>>> http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> " JCO" <joliviero4@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> news:v9V6e.8743$jd6.4929@trnddc07...
>>>> My modem is a HSP56 MR.
>>>> Runs on 95, 2000, and includes drivers for XP.
>>>>
>>>> However, when I try to install, I get a message stating that it does
>>>> not have Microsoft's signature. It asks if I want to continue anyway
>>>> but warns me not too. Of course I tried it twice and twice I crashed.
>>>> Any ideas on what I can do to get the modem working.
>>>>
>>>> Thanks
>>>>
>>>>
>>>
>>>
>>
>>
>
>
Anonymous
April 13, 2005 10:02:03 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

What exactly is happenning after the generic driver is installed? Do you get
any error messages? Check the event viewer (control panel>administrative
tools> event viewer) and see if there are any error messages regarding your
modem.
Is this a new machine? How long have you had this problem? Has the modem
'ever' worked? It may not simply be a driver problem it may be that the
modem itself is faulty but, as you say, it is onboard so you can't actually
pull it out and check. As the modem is onboard have you checked the BIOS to
see if the modem is actually enabled?

--
John Barnett MVP
Associate Expert
http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org


" JCO" <joliviero4@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:aT%6e.10658$Zn3.7434@trnddc02...
>I did do it the way you explained. What I meant to say is that it is still
>not working. Then by looking in the Device Manager, it shows the previous
>driver still installed. I tried several times. Finally I disabled the
>original driver so that it would stop installing. However, the generic 56k
>driver is not working.
>
>
> "John Barnett MVP" <freelanceit@mvps.org.NOSPAM> wrote in message
> news:%233VN%23y7PFHA.2384@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
>> Uninstall the driver and then close device manager. Do not scan for
>> hardware. Instead use the Add hardware option as detailed in my last
>> post.
>>
>> --
>> John Barnett MVP
>> Associate Expert
>> http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
>>
>>
>> " JCO" <joliviero4@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> news:p iX6e.8758$jd6.272@trnddc07...
>>>I installed it but when looking in the Device Manager, I can't get rid of
>>>the driver that is bad. When I uninstall it, it comes back on boot or
>>>when I scan for hardware changes.
>>>
>>> The modem is onboard. I can't pull it out and boot clean.
>>>
>>>
>>> "John Barnett MVP" <freelanceit@mvps.org.NOSPAM> wrote in message
>>> news:%23ek6Oe5PFHA.2736@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
>>>> Obviously, because the driver's are unsigned - i.e., have not been
>>>> tested by microsoft - it is these same drivers that are causing the
>>>> system to crash. One work around is to use standard modem drivers. If
>>>> your modem is a fax/voice modem you will loose that functionality, but
>>>> the modem should work to conenct you to the internet.
>>>> To install the standard modem drivers you will need to add the hardware
>>>> yourself, rather than xp finding the drivers for you. Proceed as
>>>> follows:
>>>>
>>>> 1/ Go to Control panel and Click on the Add Hardware icon
>>>> 2/ In the Add hardware window click the 'Yes I have connected the
>>>> hardware option' and then click Next
>>>> 3/ The add new hardware device window now appears
>>>> 4/ Click on the option marked 'Install the hardware that i manually
>>>> select from a list
>>>> 5/ The common hardware types window now appears
>>>> 6/ Select Modems from the list and then click Next
>>>> 7/ In the next window click on the box next to the option 'don't detect
>>>> modem. I will select from list.'
>>>> 8/ The modem list window will now appear with the Standard Modem Types
>>>> already highlighted.
>>>> 9/ In the right hand pane of the window scroll down and select
>>>> 'standard 56000bps modem'. Click next and the standard drivers should
>>>> install.
>>>> 10/ after installation try your modem to see if it connects to the
>>>> internet ok.
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> --
>>>> John Barnett MVP
>>>> Associate Expert
>>>> http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> " JCO" <joliviero4@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>>> news:v9V6e.8743$jd6.4929@trnddc07...
>>>>> My modem is a HSP56 MR.
>>>>> Runs on 95, 2000, and includes drivers for XP.
>>>>>
>>>>> However, when I try to install, I get a message stating that it does
>>>>> not have Microsoft's signature. It asks if I want to continue anyway
>>>>> but warns me not too. Of course I tried it twice and twice I crashed.
>>>>> Any ideas on what I can do to get the modem working.
>>>>>
>>>>> Thanks
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>
>>>
>>
>>
>
>
Anonymous
April 13, 2005 10:40:26 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

Let me first answer one of the last questions.
The machine has multiple harddrives in a cradle, therefore, I swap drives to
work in different environments. The modem works fine in Windows 2000, which
I use most of the time (programming and web stuff).

I'm doing Video Conversions (video camera to DVD) on another harddrive which
is WindowsXP. Therefore, the modem is good, but will not work in Windows
XP. It try's to dial (you can hear it) and it dials the correct digits,
then it says "Disconnected".

I will have to get back on that computer (HD) before answering the rest of
your questions.
Thanks


"John Barnett MVP" <freelanceit@mvps.org.NOSPAM> wrote in message
news:o HM0IqEQFHA.3076@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> What exactly is happenning after the generic driver is installed? Do you
get
> any error messages? Check the event viewer (control panel>administrative
> tools> event viewer) and see if there are any error messages regarding
your
> modem.
> Is this a new machine? How long have you had this problem? Has the modem
> 'ever' worked? It may not simply be a driver problem it may be that the
> modem itself is faulty but, as you say, it is onboard so you can't
actually
> pull it out and check. As the modem is onboard have you checked the BIOS
to
> see if the modem is actually enabled?
>
> --
> John Barnett MVP
> Associate Expert
> http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
>
>
> " JCO" <joliviero4@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:aT%6e.10658$Zn3.7434@trnddc02...
> >I did do it the way you explained. What I meant to say is that it is
still
> >not working. Then by looking in the Device Manager, it shows the
previous
> >driver still installed. I tried several times. Finally I disabled the
> >original driver so that it would stop installing. However, the generic
56k
> >driver is not working.
> >
> >
> > "John Barnett MVP" <freelanceit@mvps.org.NOSPAM> wrote in message
> > news:%233VN%23y7PFHA.2384@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> >> Uninstall the driver and then close device manager. Do not scan for
> >> hardware. Instead use the Add hardware option as detailed in my last
> >> post.
> >>
> >> --
> >> John Barnett MVP
> >> Associate Expert
> >> http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
> >>
> >>
> >> " JCO" <joliviero4@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >> news:p iX6e.8758$jd6.272@trnddc07...
> >>>I installed it but when looking in the Device Manager, I can't get rid
of
> >>>the driver that is bad. When I uninstall it, it comes back on boot or
> >>>when I scan for hardware changes.
> >>>
> >>> The modem is onboard. I can't pull it out and boot clean.
> >>>
> >>>
> >>> "John Barnett MVP" <freelanceit@mvps.org.NOSPAM> wrote in message
> >>> news:%23ek6Oe5PFHA.2736@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> >>>> Obviously, because the driver's are unsigned - i.e., have not been
> >>>> tested by microsoft - it is these same drivers that are causing the
> >>>> system to crash. One work around is to use standard modem drivers. If
> >>>> your modem is a fax/voice modem you will loose that functionality,
but
> >>>> the modem should work to conenct you to the internet.
> >>>> To install the standard modem drivers you will need to add the
hardware
> >>>> yourself, rather than xp finding the drivers for you. Proceed as
> >>>> follows:
> >>>>
> >>>> 1/ Go to Control panel and Click on the Add Hardware icon
> >>>> 2/ In the Add hardware window click the 'Yes I have connected the
> >>>> hardware option' and then click Next
> >>>> 3/ The add new hardware device window now appears
> >>>> 4/ Click on the option marked 'Install the hardware that i manually
> >>>> select from a list
> >>>> 5/ The common hardware types window now appears
> >>>> 6/ Select Modems from the list and then click Next
> >>>> 7/ In the next window click on the box next to the option 'don't
detect
> >>>> modem. I will select from list.'
> >>>> 8/ The modem list window will now appear with the Standard Modem
Types
> >>>> already highlighted.
> >>>> 9/ In the right hand pane of the window scroll down and select
> >>>> 'standard 56000bps modem'. Click next and the standard drivers should
> >>>> install.
> >>>> 10/ after installation try your modem to see if it connects to the
> >>>> internet ok.
> >>>>
> >>>>
> >>>> --
> >>>> John Barnett MVP
> >>>> Associate Expert
> >>>> http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
> >>>>
> >>>>
> >>>>
> >>>>
> >>>> " JCO" <joliviero4@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >>>> news:v9V6e.8743$jd6.4929@trnddc07...
> >>>>> My modem is a HSP56 MR.
> >>>>> Runs on 95, 2000, and includes drivers for XP.
> >>>>>
> >>>>> However, when I try to install, I get a message stating that it does
> >>>>> not have Microsoft's signature. It asks if I want to continue
anyway
> >>>>> but warns me not too. Of course I tried it twice and twice I
crashed.
> >>>>> Any ideas on what I can do to get the modem working.
> >>>>>
> >>>>> Thanks
> >>>>>
> >>>>>
> >>>>
> >>>>
> >>>
> >>>
> >>
> >>
> >
> >
>
>
Anonymous
April 20, 2005 12:08:26 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

Their are no logs created when this error happens.
It simply says that it cannot find a modem, then disconnects.


"John Barnett MVP" <freelanceit@mvps.org.NOSPAM> wrote in message
news:o HM0IqEQFHA.3076@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> What exactly is happenning after the generic driver is installed? Do you
get
> any error messages? Check the event viewer (control panel>administrative
> tools> event viewer) and see if there are any error messages regarding
your
> modem.
> Is this a new machine? How long have you had this problem? Has the modem
> 'ever' worked? It may not simply be a driver problem it may be that the
> modem itself is faulty but, as you say, it is onboard so you can't
actually
> pull it out and check. As the modem is onboard have you checked the BIOS
to
> see if the modem is actually enabled?
>
> --
> John Barnett MVP
> Associate Expert
> http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
>
>
> " JCO" <joliviero4@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:aT%6e.10658$Zn3.7434@trnddc02...
> >I did do it the way you explained. What I meant to say is that it is
still
> >not working. Then by looking in the Device Manager, it shows the
previous
> >driver still installed. I tried several times. Finally I disabled the
> >original driver so that it would stop installing. However, the generic
56k
> >driver is not working.
> >
> >
> > "John Barnett MVP" <freelanceit@mvps.org.NOSPAM> wrote in message
> > news:%233VN%23y7PFHA.2384@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> >> Uninstall the driver and then close device manager. Do not scan for
> >> hardware. Instead use the Add hardware option as detailed in my last
> >> post.
> >>
> >> --
> >> John Barnett MVP
> >> Associate Expert
> >> http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
> >>
> >>
> >> " JCO" <joliviero4@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >> news:p iX6e.8758$jd6.272@trnddc07...
> >>>I installed it but when looking in the Device Manager, I can't get rid
of
> >>>the driver that is bad. When I uninstall it, it comes back on boot or
> >>>when I scan for hardware changes.
> >>>
> >>> The modem is onboard. I can't pull it out and boot clean.
> >>>
> >>>
> >>> "John Barnett MVP" <freelanceit@mvps.org.NOSPAM> wrote in message
> >>> news:%23ek6Oe5PFHA.2736@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> >>>> Obviously, because the driver's are unsigned - i.e., have not been
> >>>> tested by microsoft - it is these same drivers that are causing the
> >>>> system to crash. One work around is to use standard modem drivers. If
> >>>> your modem is a fax/voice modem you will loose that functionality,
but
> >>>> the modem should work to conenct you to the internet.
> >>>> To install the standard modem drivers you will need to add the
hardware
> >>>> yourself, rather than xp finding the drivers for you. Proceed as
> >>>> follows:
> >>>>
> >>>> 1/ Go to Control panel and Click on the Add Hardware icon
> >>>> 2/ In the Add hardware window click the 'Yes I have connected the
> >>>> hardware option' and then click Next
> >>>> 3/ The add new hardware device window now appears
> >>>> 4/ Click on the option marked 'Install the hardware that i manually
> >>>> select from a list
> >>>> 5/ The common hardware types window now appears
> >>>> 6/ Select Modems from the list and then click Next
> >>>> 7/ In the next window click on the box next to the option 'don't
detect
> >>>> modem. I will select from list.'
> >>>> 8/ The modem list window will now appear with the Standard Modem
Types
> >>>> already highlighted.
> >>>> 9/ In the right hand pane of the window scroll down and select
> >>>> 'standard 56000bps modem'. Click next and the standard drivers should
> >>>> install.
> >>>> 10/ after installation try your modem to see if it connects to the
> >>>> internet ok.
> >>>>
> >>>>
> >>>> --
> >>>> John Barnett MVP
> >>>> Associate Expert
> >>>> http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
> >>>>
> >>>>
> >>>>
> >>>>
> >>>> " JCO" <joliviero4@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >>>> news:v9V6e.8743$jd6.4929@trnddc07...
> >>>>> My modem is a HSP56 MR.
> >>>>> Runs on 95, 2000, and includes drivers for XP.
> >>>>>
> >>>>> However, when I try to install, I get a message stating that it does
> >>>>> not have Microsoft's signature. It asks if I want to continue
anyway
> >>>>> but warns me not too. Of course I tried it twice and twice I
crashed.
> >>>>> Any ideas on what I can do to get the modem working.
> >>>>>
> >>>>> Thanks
> >>>>>
> >>>>>
> >>>>
> >>>>
> >>>
> >>>
> >>
> >>
> >
> >
>
>
!