Best CPU Price/Power/Performance average

Status
Not open for further replies.

austenwhd

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2011
Hello,

looking to assemble a new PC for HD footage editing and 3D rendering, so there is a lot of emphasis on performance but on the other hand power consumption should be something lesser than 80 Watts.... can somebody recommend best possible CPU in lowest price range... i am open to both AMD and Intel as option.

Thank you.

Solution
If electricity really is a big deal, then you should be keeping to the Ivy Bridge series (3000) because all the i5 desktop versions are basically 77W, within your restrictions.

As far as I can tell from browsing a couple of sites just now, India seems to lag behind the european/US markets in terms of stock. Right now in both of those, Ivy Bridge stuff is very similarly priced to any older stock. On that Naptol website, the cheapest i5 is a 2310 at Rs. 8695 and they don't have any 3xxx at all.
If, hypothetically, you could wait a little and buy an i5 3450(or similar) in a month or so (whenever stock catches up) at that sort of price (<9000) then that would definitely be the way to go, as it's not too badly over budget and fulfils the...

craul87

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2005

It isn't, nor is the FX 6300... it could get close with OC but out of the box just NO
The 8320 could be a more smart budget choice only if those apps that you are running take advantage of all the cores....

Rammy

Honorable
Your problem is basically that intel is the way to go for low power usage, but AMD is likely to be your only option for cost/performance.

If you could give us a website(s) you would be using that will help, as not many people here will be familiar with Indian prices.
Just had a quick scan on flipkart (no idea if these prices are representative at all)

i3 3220- http://www.flipkart.com/intel-i3-3220/p/itmdeus8hzz5mnfh?pid=PSRDEUR2HEEGFCWR&ref=5629f3f1-84d8-4309-9900-707107b29059
Rs. 7256 55W

i5 3450- http://www.flipkart.com/intel-3-1-ghz-lga-1155-core-i5-3450-processor/p/itmd99wtstx3qkhf?pid=PSRD99WSF7Z9FJRD&ref=5629f3f1-84d8-4309-9900-707107b29059
Rs. 11766 77W

FX 6100 (couldn't find a 6300)- http://www.flipkart.com/amd-3-3-ghz-am3-fx6100-processor/p/itmd54hrguzhmgd9?pid=PSRD54HRMTD7P5DX&ref=ff6567d8-806a-414a-ae26-79b68bb71453
Rs. 7758 95W

If those prices are roughly accurate, then you have an issue. Any AMD processor is likely to trump your 80W ceiling (why does this exist btw?) and any decent quad core intel is likely to be out of budget.

austenwhd

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2011
I am running After Effects CS6 and 3D Max... i am talking about an optimum performance CPU... fast enough to do all the encoding and 3D graphics i want to work on but cheap enough so i can actually buy one... and power efficient. Its just not me, a lot of people might wanna have a high end cheapest PC possible... Its a dream.

austenwhd

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2011
Thanks Remmy...

Electricity bills eat up money just as badly (or more) as way too expensive, no good for nothing CPU, it might help to be done with a good CPU for now for like another 2 years...

Flipkarts prices are above street rates or online shopping sites, try naaptol... FX6100 is for 6500 or something there...

The FX series consumes a lot of power, but the price / performance is not bad. Lower price for lower performance compared to Intel; generally speaking.

The Trinity APUs consumes less power than the FX series, but the CPU core is not as powerful. But at least it has an integrated graphic core which means a graphics card is not necessary if you do not play games.

Intel Pentium and Core i3 CPUs represents the best combination of price/performance and low power consumption. The Core i3 is better since it has Hyper Threading which can help improve performance of video editing and 3D rendering programs capable of using Hyper Threading.

Rammy

Honorable
Yeah I get why you would want to save power but 80W is quite limiting given your situation. FX6300 might be the one to get, if you can find one, but it'll be 95W or so. The difference between the two is perhaps worth the extra power.

Am I in the right place? http://www.naaptol.com/processors/amd-fx-6100/P/947367.html FX6100 Rs. 7639

At those prices you are basically looking at i3s and FX6xxx. If the FX is definitely out for power concerns, you have a winner by simple process of elimination. It's not exactly a fantastic science, but you won't go wrong with an i3 3xxx series.

craul87

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2005

That would be the i3 3220

You asked for the "Best CPU Price/Power/Performance average". You won't get that with a "4 or 6 or 8 core". You won't get a worthwhile AMD processor with a 80W power target. That pretty much leaves the i3, or maybe a Pentium.

However if you just wanted "The fastest possible CPU under $130!" why didn't you just ask that from the start? I'd say FX6300.

austenwhd

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2011
Rammy, lets say i spend all of my lifes saving on on one processor for another 5 years... is Intel 3.3 GHz LGA 1155 Core i5-2500K is that processor...

95 Watts, Rs. 13375 on flipkart... is it worth it.

craul87

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2005
hmm the FX 6300 is a bit more expensive in my country tbh, dono about his and also it has higher power consumption witch pretty much eliminates all AMD options for him :( it is indeed faster however than the i3

austenwhd

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2011

Just for an arguments sake, lets say most people cant buy the most expensive good CPU, even if they do, they cant afford to run it for long hour because the bills will kill them. Now i am in bargaining mode here, trying to figure out what best. I can buy a Xeon server processor but it is not my requirement, i pushed limits to extreme and now i am slowly spreading the criteria to fulfill my requirement.

"Please don't judge me" Ted Mosby (HIMYM)

Rammy

Honorable
If electricity really is a big deal, then you should be keeping to the Ivy Bridge series (3000) because all the i5 desktop versions are basically 77W, within your restrictions.

As far as I can tell from browsing a couple of sites just now, India seems to lag behind the european/US markets in terms of stock. Right now in both of those, Ivy Bridge stuff is very similarly priced to any older stock. On that Naptol website, the cheapest i5 is a 2310 at Rs. 8695 and they don't have any 3xxx at all.
If, hypothetically, you could wait a little and buy an i5 3450(or similar) in a month or so (whenever stock catches up) at that sort of price (<9000) then that would definitely be the way to go, as it's not too badly over budget and fulfils the low power requirement.

I think, as with everything, you have a compromise to make. If your price, and your power requirements are fixed, there is really only one solution, the i3 3220. It's a perfectly capable processor, but despite its Hyperthreading, it's not the 4,6,8 core you wanted. If you have to buy today, that seems the only sensible suggestion to make.

If on the other hand, you can afford to wait a little while, you might find that the new lower end i5s start to become cheaper. This might be over budget, but it would satisfy all your needs. 3450 is what I'm typing on right now, pretty good value.

Thirdly, if you decide you can be a bit more flexible on the power needs, wait until the FX6300 is available. It's priced well and should offer a lot of performance for the price.

Solution

austenwhd

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2011

Alright, i5 3450 it is then. Thanks for all the help. I analysed specifications of your two recommendations... i can go over budget. Like i said i wanted the best in price/performance and power.... best value for money.

Status
Not open for further replies.