Your question

First build, need advice

Tags:
  • Build
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
July 23, 2012 4:07:12 PM

Hi i am ordering a a computer componentes to build a new system i have never done this before so i will need some help. First, are the parts that i've chosen appropriate?

MOBO: Asus P8Z77-V
CPU: Intel Core i7 3770k
GPU: Gigabyte GTX 670 Windforce x3
RAM: Corsair 8gb low profile, 1600Mhz, 9-9-9-24
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2tb ,SATA 6Gbps, 7200rpm (probably a SSD in future)
PSU: Corsair TX750 V2
CPU HS: Thermaltake Macho HR-02
CASE: Bitfenix Shinobi
An ordinary optical drive and the LG's E2351-VR 23" monitor

I will be using the pc mainly for Microsoft's Visual Studio 2010 and probably for gaming and 3ds max rendering. I would also want to overclock the CPU up to 4.5Ghz per core. Should i buy an extra fan for the case as it has only one 120mm one at the rear? While building the system should i wear an antistatic wristband or gloves as i really don't want to fry the parts? I'am open for any suggestions and advices.

More about : build advice

July 23, 2012 4:43:02 PM

if you want to overclock your machine, its best to take precaution. Give your pc case the most optimum air flow you can give. Cool your cpu with a liquid cooler with that kind of frequency. other than that Everything looks fine.
July 23, 2012 4:50:16 PM

lookerup said:
if you want to overclock your machine, its best to take precaution. Give your pc case the most optimum air flow you can give. Cool your cpu with a liquid cooler with that kind of frequency. other than that Everything looks fine.

Why would you get a liquid cooler? Go with a D14. Either do a real liquid loop or don't do one at all. Plastic loops aren't worth it because a strong air fan like the D14 will give you the exact same overclocking results and it's far safer.

That Asus board won't support 3-way SLI, you'll need something like the EVGA Z77 FTW: http://www.evga.com/products/moreInfo.asp?pn=151-IB-E69...

If you're going to go liquid cooling at some point though don't get a Bitfenix case, you'll need something with quite a bit more room like an NZXT Switch 810: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Quote:
Should i buy an extra fan for the case as it has only one 120mm one at the rear? While building the system should i wear an antistatic wristband or gloves as i really don't want to fry the parts

I've been doing this for several years and never had that happen. Build your build on a clean surface and you'll be fine. Static wrist straps are a waste of money - you only need one if you're working with live (powered on) equipment. For the most part - you'll be building your build with the power turned off.

It's pointless to waste money on fans until you get your build up and running. You can only get as many fans as your case has mounts for, and yes, size does matter. I'd heavily suggest reading this on how to setup your system's air flow: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/cooling-airflow-hea...
Related resources
July 23, 2012 5:02:02 PM

Quote:
*Change the motherboard, get a Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 or 6

*You definetly need a aftermarket heats-skin if you are planning to overclock. this cooler should be more than enough.
*IMO this case is better and it has Tom's Hardwared approval
*you can go to your local pharmacy and buy some latex gloves, they will work as well as a antistatic wristband...altough touching any non painted metal object that is touching the ground will eliminate all the static energy from your hands.

The Phantom 410 is a good choice but it only houses dual fan plastic radiators. If you want to do a truly custom setup you'll need a case like the Cooler Master Cosmos II or the Switch 810 that I linked to. You can see finished builds here: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/switch-810-cosmos-i...

What's the budget? If you're using Visual Studio it might be worth it to change out and go X79 - you may have to drop one of the 670's, but on programs like that you'll need far more of a better CPU than GPU.
July 23, 2012 5:10:02 PM

What is your budget OP?
July 23, 2012 5:11:12 PM

Quote:
You are wrong. Compare a H100 with high CMF fans VS a D14 to see who wins ;) 

i dont know why closed loop watercoolers are so understimated, they let use TALL ram without any problems and IMO they look a lot better and cleaner AND if you buy some high CMF fans they will perfom almost like their real liquid loop counter parts.

And about the air cooling being "safer"... you have to be extremely retarded to intall a Corsair Hxx cooler wrong, they are VERY easy to install and if they ever start leaking corsair will replace your components.

I'm definitely not going to argue about the way the motherboard looks, a D14 will totally dwarf any motherboard pretty much. :lol: 

The thing about the H100 though is that the fans included are of the cheap plastic variety - and most people who purchase an H100 know this - and usually wind up replacing them with Noctua PWM fans anyways, and that can get really pricey.

Quote:

Dude... i selected a case based on a aproximated budget of UP TO ~100$ for the case (Bitfenix Shinobi= ~60$) if i knew this guy could spend over 300$ on a case like the Cosmos II i would have a linked a Case lab's Magnum STH10 <---- now THAT is a case ready for watercooling

True - but that's where true water cooling gets really expensive.
July 23, 2012 6:25:02 PM

Well My budget is $1900~2000 but in my country that's the cost of all the parts that i've listed. As for the case i thought it would be a good idea to go with a better cpu and gpu at the expense of the case. Also there aren't much cases to choose from here. I haven't considered going with water cooling as it is much more expensive and i've red that the Macho HR-02 with two of thermaltake's 140mm fans matches the H100's performance. As for the motherboard are the Asrock boards better than the asus one? i've selected the p8z77-v as it's very rich in features, it allows beginners like me to easily overclock the cpu and it's very good-looking.
July 23, 2012 6:27:03 PM

Which country are you buying from?
July 23, 2012 6:28:09 PM

dassault said:
Well My budget is $1900~2000 but in my country that's the cost of all the parts that i've listed. As for the case i thought it would be a good idea to go with a better cpu and gpu at the expense of the case. Also there aren't much cases to choose from here. I haven't considered going with water cooling as it is much more expensive and i've red that the Macho HR-02 with two of thermaltake's 140mm fans matches the H100's performance. As for the motherboard are the Asrock boards better than the asus one? i've selected the p8z77-v as it's very rich in features, it allows beginners like me to easily overclock the cpu and it's very good-looking.

What country do you live in and where do you buy from? It's entirely possible to suggest a CPU / GPU combination that doesn't compromise or cut corners on any other parts of the build. Considering the Gigabyte 670 is a monster card, that case might not be able to house three of them, you'd have to cut at least one in order for that configuration to work properly.
July 23, 2012 6:33:04 PM

It depends on the features you need.
July 23, 2012 6:48:18 PM

Quote:
You are wrong. Compare a H100 with high CMF fans VS a D14 to see who wins ;) 

i dont know why closed loop watercoolers are so understimated, they let use TALL ram without any problems and IMO they look a lot better and cleaner AND if you buy some high CMF fans they will perfom almost like their real liquid loop counter parts.

And about the air cooling being "safer"... you have to be extremely retarded to intall a Corsair Hxx cooler wrong, they are VERY easy to install and if they ever start leaking corsair will replace your components.

My $20 Hyper 212 will blow away your $100 H100.
!