Sign in with
Your question

New build feeling slow?

Last response: in Systems
July 23, 2012 4:19:24 PM

Hi guys,

I bought a new system just over 2 months ago, and I instantly felt that it was not quite as fast as I was expecting. The specs are:

GTX560 Ti
Asus P8Z77-V LX, LGA1155, Intel Z77
Intel Ivy Bridge i5-3570K, LGA1155, 3.4GHz, 6MB
G.Skill 4GB Ripjaws DDR3-1600 F3-12800CL9S-4GBRL 9-9-9-24
Western Digital Caviar Green WD20EARS 2TB

Also I have a 2nd hard drive which is my old 320 GB hard drive.

Now the biggest problem I seem to have is with my hard drive or with windows 7, or maybe their combination. The problem is that my hard drive is cracking away all day long with no signs of stopping, regardless of if im doing something or just idling. Sure it might stop for 5 seconds but then it'll be going at it for the next 15 seconds again. And quite frankly at the moment of writing this and when I ran dxdiag it sounded like my hdd would be exploding, it's the weirdest sound I've ever heard it make. Hard to explain what it sounds like on a forum so I won't even try.

Anyhow, I don't even mind the sound. It's fine. But it's slow as ever, just a while ago it took like 5-10 seconds to open up my control panel. Sure it's not the end of the world that it takes 5 seconds longer than expected, but it feels really annoying. The problem is that there's sort of no sign of anything abnormal in processes, however it seems that theres something wrong with the processes tab:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

2+1+1 = 4, but CPU Usage: 18% in the bottom? What the hell is that? How did it more than quadruple?

I downloaded a diagnostics tool for my new hard drive and it passed the tests (the extensive test takes like 6 hours to complete so I'll put it on for the night, we'll see what it says). Also I disabled the indexing service but it didn't seem to have an effect.

Oh yeah I forgot, I place my downloads onto the new 2 Tb WD hard drive, but have windows installed in the old 320 Gb drive. The C: drive (windows) seems to be working at a decent speed, but whenever I use the E: drive (new 2Tb one), it takes up to 5-10 seconds to even open up a folder containing one of the downloads. So how can it be that slow if the diagnostics tool shows that it is not damaged? Is windows somehow failing me, is there something wrong with the mobo or maybe the connection from the HDD to the mobo? Or what's going on? Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks a lot in advance for anyone who bothers to try and help.

Hibernicus

More about : build feeling slow

July 23, 2012 4:22:09 PM

Oh I forgot to mention, and it won't let me edit: if I download a video and open it with e.g. vlc, it takes a while to open up. Then I watch say half of it, pause it for like 10 minutes (not sure of what the minimum time is), and start playing it again, it plays for like 0.5-1.5 seconds and pauses for like 3 seconds until it starts playing normally again.
!