Installed Programs show up in all profiles.

April 12, 2005 6:35:34 PM

When a program is installed on my WinXP Pro computer, the program shows up in
all the profiles. I want the program to only be seen in the profile that it
was logged into when the program was installed. Most programs I come across
do NOT allow the option for “All Users on Computer�, or “Only the user
currently logged in�, when the program is being installed.
Anonymous
April 12, 2005 7:42:00 PM

Cut the shortcuts from;
%AllUsersProfile%\Start Menu\Programs
and paste them in;
%UserProfile%\Start Menu\Programs

(note: this doesn't prevent the user from executing the program's EXE to
start it up.)

--
Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"Mike L" wrote:
| When a program is installed on my WinXP Pro computer, the program shows up
in
| all the profiles. I want the program to only be seen in the profile that
it
| was logged into when the program was installed. Most programs I come
across
| do NOT allow the option for "All Users on Computer", or "Only the user
| currently logged in", when the program is being installed.
Anonymous
April 12, 2005 8:29:12 PM

Installing and running software in Windows XP
http://www.rickrogers.org/xpsware.htm

[[This page is an attempt to explain how software should be installed and
used in a Windows XP system.]]

Subjects include:
1. Installing software for everybody
2. Running software in limited user accounts
3. Restricting access to some programs
4. FAQ's and issues

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:7BACF353-6040-4641-94F2-2BA7E00B7896@microsoft.com,
Mike L <Cadel@nospam.nospam> hunted and pecked:
> When a program is installed on my WinXP Pro computer, the program shows
> up in all the profiles. I want the program to only be seen in the
> profile that it was logged into when the program was installed. Most
> programs I come across do NOT allow the option for “All Users on
> Computer�, or “Only the user currently logged in�, when the program
> is being installed.
April 13, 2005 5:48:01 AM

Hi,

Remove them from the runkeys here:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce
--
In memory of our dear friend, MVP Alex Nichol: http://www.dts-l.org/

All the Best,
Kelly (MS-MVP)