Can someone help me out with my power problems ?

radityaanggaa

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2012
Sorry, i'm newbie here and i don't really know whether this is the right sub-forum or not, please excuse me for this one.

Please, i need help about the power of my cpu, i mean the electricity, maybe someone can help me with these problems ?

This is my cpu spec :
Processor : intel core i5 3570 ivybridge
Motherboard : asrock b75
Ram : patriot viper 3 pc 12800 9.9.9.24 8 giga
Power fsp 750 watt
VGA XFX HD R7850 core edition
hard disk western digital black 1 TB
Monitor : dell S2330MX full HD LED with 2ms overdrive
I don't overclocked it, stays in 3.4 GHz with turbo boost automatically activated i guess to 3.8 GHz
The additional things is only cheap logitech keyboard usb set with mouse , and cheap logitech speaker.

The problem is that my home's electricity sucks as hell, so that i need to install safety thingy to ensure that my PC won't be endangered.

1. I already buy a FSP Uninterruptible Power Supply (UPS) EP Series 1500/2000 Line Interactive UPS. I don't know whether it will goes well with my psu or not, because i've only tried it for less than a day. But the UPS work well. What i wanna ask is that whether this UPS would be compatible with my PSU or not ? Because i've read somewhere that i need to be aware about my PSU, if my PSU has the active PFC or something, it need a great UPS like on-line UPS or just pick the one which can handle much watt for your PC (about 2x of the PC power watt i guess).

If i'm not mistaken, my power supply is FSP RAIDER RA-750 - 750 WATT , and my UPS now is FSP UPS "Line Interactive UPS EP Series 1500/2000 that handles 1500VA/900Watts. I don't know how to calculate my overall pc's usage of electricity, that's why i need someone's help to determine whether my UPS choice is already right or not.

2. When i bought the UPS, i got this CD containing the software for UPS, something called viewpower. I already installed it and the trays on the bottom right panel is already there, it's already running on (i mean the icon in the menu bar). But when i'm trying to open monitor, to open the program which was opened in http://localhost:15178/ViewPower in my google chrome, it can't be opened. I already tried to open it in IE too but the result was still the same.

I merely know about the software, but it seems that i can manage my ups control for the PC through that software. I just need to manage the shutdown, i mean i want to manage the shutdown time like when the UPS battery is already low, i want my PC to properly shutdown automatically, just want to be safer. And i can't contact the FSP guys because their HQ is in europe or america, there's no such thing (FSP contacts) in my country, Indonesia.

Please if anyone could help me, i really appreciate it, because i don't know much about PC and the stuffs, and my friend who helped me in building this PC also doesn't know too much about UPS too. Its not like i just want to slack off, waiting for help or something, NO, not like that. I've already searched allover the webs before i made this thread but i didn't get the answer. I've made a thread twice about my problems in this site before and both of em are solved here, so it seems that this site guys are reliable.

Any kind of comments are help are truly appreciated.

Solution
You may run into issue or you may not as the PSU is active PFC, and the UPS is simuated sinewave. It allr eally depends on the quality of the generated sinewave.

You can use fsp-europes site to download the latest version of their software.

As for sizing the UPS you need to determine the maximum load the pc and everything else youplan on pluggin into the UPS will draw. This is usually measured with a tool like the kill-o-watt. Once you know your maximum load you then look at the run-time charts of various UPS's and decide which one best suits your need and budget. The longer you want to run at full load the more expensive the UPS will be.
For your ups and guestimated your power consumption I gather you would have about 7 minutes of...

popatim

Titan
You may run into issue or you may not as the PSU is active PFC, and the UPS is simuated sinewave. It allr eally depends on the quality of the generated sinewave.

You can use fsp-europes site to download the latest version of their software.

As for sizing the UPS you need to determine the maximum load the pc and everything else youplan on pluggin into the UPS will draw. This is usually measured with a tool like the kill-o-watt. Once you know your maximum load you then look at the run-time charts of various UPS's and decide which one best suits your need and budget. The longer you want to run at full load the more expensive the UPS will be.
For your ups and guestimated your power consumption I gather you would have about 7 minutes of runtime if the batteries were fully charged - at full load (I calculated about 350w wth a monitor and speakers).

Model \ Runtime at loads 25%Load 50%Load 75%Load 100%Load
EP1500 (1500VA/900W) 20min 6min30s 2min 1min20s

Please keep in mind that as the battery ages the runtime will get lower.

Solution

radityaanggaa

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2012

Sorry i don't know much. But i don't know, does my ups give simulated sinewave ? How do i know that and how do i know that my ups generate a good quality of sine wave or not ? I don't know but i've read that the active PFC and Simulated Sine Wave don't go well, bit i hope that my choice is right. Because i only buy that FSP EP Series 1500 because it can handle 1500VA/900Watt, and i estimated that my PC usage is not more than 300, well give an error to 350.

Some articles in the internets said that i need to buy online ups or pick a line interactive ups that can handle double of my PC electricity. I only plug the PC and all the stuffs to a 4 plug-in connector , then to the UPS (CPU, Monitor, Spekaer, and modem).

I don't need to play that much when the electricity is down, i just want my PC to be safe, like i can close all programs first and shutdown it properly when there's electricity issues or something like that.

I need more enlightenment for my issue i guess, but thanks for your answer, its just me who doesn't get it. Maybe you could explain more about it ?

About the software, its okay. I already downloaded the newer version of view power (2.10, mine WAS 2.08 which i got from the CD) and it runs well. :)