Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

First Time PC Build

Last response: in Systems
Share
July 23, 2012 5:27:33 PM

So I have never built a computer before but I'd like to start. Here's a list of parts I've picked out. I just wanted to know if all of these work together, if I'm missing something, or if there's a better alternative to any of these (Especially the case. I'm completely lost on what to choose there). Thanks in advance.
PARTS:

CPU - http://www.compusa.com/applications/SearchTools/item-de...

Motherboard - http://www.compusa.com/applications/SearchTools/item-de...

GPU - http://www.compusa.com/applications/searchtools/item-de...

RAM - http://www.compusa.com/applications/SearchTools/item-de...

HDD - http://www.compusa.com/applications/SearchTools/item-de...

SSD - http://www.compusa.com/applications/SearchTools/item-de...

Fan - http://www.compusa.com/applications/SearchTools/item-de...

DvD Drive - http://www.compusa.com/applications/SearchTools/item-de...

Case - http://www.compusa.com/applications/SearchTools/item-de...

More about : time build

July 23, 2012 5:31:53 PM

Budget?
m
0
l
July 23, 2012 5:47:26 PM

I'm trying to stay under a thousand
m
0
l
Related resources
July 23, 2012 5:49:20 PM

Is compusa the only store you want to buy from? The reason I ask is cuz they don't have a good selection of parts.
m
0
l
July 23, 2012 5:50:21 PM

Well, all that will work together just fine.

Personally I like the bitfenix cases for their value for money and looks.

My advice in general would be to make sure you get the best quality power supply and biggest SSD you can reasonably afford. They are the two areas where saving a little bit of money can give you big headaches and anoyance later. I had a cheap power supply that the fan on it drove me nuts with its clicking noise ... and I am currently using a 120GB SSD and I'm already worried about space getting tight. Once you install 64 bit windows and a couple of games it really starts to chew through it. 90GB would really worry me especially as you should never really fill an SSD past about 80%

Good luck!
m
0
l
July 23, 2012 5:57:16 PM

azeem40 said:
Is compusa the only store you want to buy from? The reason I ask is cuz they don't have a good selection of parts.

I was just trying to keep it simple by buying from one store but I'd be willing to check out other places if they better or cheaper parts
m
0
l
July 23, 2012 5:57:50 PM

Buy them from newegg and see which ones are cheaper. Buy the ones that are not cheaper on newegg from compusa.
m
0
l
July 23, 2012 5:59:27 PM

azeem40 said:
Buy them from newegg and see which ones are cheaper. Buy the ones that are not cheaper on newegg from compusa.

Thanks I'll check that out
m
0
l
July 23, 2012 6:09:59 PM

Some of us are lazy, and will not click on links, you can help with a text descriotion of the items.

To answer your question, yes it all looks compatible.
I assume your primary interest is gaming.

Here are my thoughts:

CPU--- With a $220 budget, the 2500K is very good. I would pick the newer 3570K for the same price.
If you live near a microcenter, they will sell you a 2500K for $170, and a 3570K for $190, last time I looked.

Motherboard---- is OK, but you can buy a newer Z77 based for a similar price.

No need for ram faster than 1600. Read this on ram scaling:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/4503/sandy-bridge-memory-...
The ram you picked is 1.65v ram, which is really 1.5v 1600 ram that can be overclocked. That is the limit before you damage your cpu. I would go with cheaper 1.5v 1600 ram. Also, 1.5v ram does not need any heat spreaders; buy low profile ram so it will not interfere with your cpu cooler.

CPU cooler hyper 212 is a good pick.

A SSD for the os is great for your budget. It is enough to hold the os, and a game or two.
If you will not be storing large files, such as video files, then consider not buying a hard drive, at least initially.
A 120gb ssd or a 160gb ssd may be all you ever need to hold 6-12 games. You could always add a hard drive later.
For reliability, I would pick Samsung 830, or intel 330/520 series. CrucialM4 would be third.
Check for sales, ssd prices are dropping.

Nothing wrong with a GTX560ti.
My rule of thumb for a gaming pc is to spend twice your cpu budget on the graphics card.
In this case, it is<1:1. In other words, you would get better gaming with a stronger graphics card and a less expensive cpu.

You do not list a psu. The wattage of the psu will be determined by the graphics card. If you go with more modern 28nm based cards, the power needs will be less, perhaps 550-600w.
Whatever, buy only a quality psu. My short list would include Seasonic, XFX, Antec. PC P&C, and Corsair.

For a case, buy what appeals to you. It need not be expensive. Any case that holds your motherboard and has decent cooling will do the job.
I consider two 120mm intake fans, or equivalent output to be adequate.
A favorite is the Antec 300:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

--------------goood luck-----------


m
0
l
July 23, 2012 6:20:28 PM

Jakusonfire said:
Well, all that will work together just fine.

Personally I like the bitfenix cases for their value for money and looks.

My advice in general would be to make sure you get the best quality power supply and biggest SSD you can reasonably afford. They are the two areas where saving a little bit of money can give you big headaches and anoyance later. I had a cheap power supply that the fan on it drove me nuts with its clicking noise ... and I am currently using a 120GB SSD and I'm already worried about space getting tight. Once you install 64 bit windows and a couple of games it really starts to chew through it. 90GB would really worry me especially as you should never really fill an SSD past about 80%

Good luck!

Thanks for reccomending bitfenix! I really like their selection.
m
0
l
July 24, 2012 9:17:25 PM

The Nanerpus said:
One final question do you think this power supply will work if I still go with the GTX 560 ti?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I think you are good. Seasonic is one of the best brands, and their 520w unit delivers 40a, more than most 550w units.
The requirement for a GTX560ti is only 30a and two 6 pin pci-e connectors
m
0
l
!