Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question

First build (Budget 2195 -2469$) Need help choosing parts.

Tags:
  • Homebuilt
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
July 23, 2012 5:51:19 PM

Hello everyone!

This is my first attempt at building my own gaming system. One would assume that building your own computer should be very exciting and fun. But for me, the more I read into things, the more questions pop up. More confusion means more misery for me. Sometimes it feels like the old saying "should I get married or not, regardless of what I choose I will regret it".
I always had friends help me pick out and build hardware. This time I do it on my own so I do apologize for my ignorance..
Any constructive feedback is deeply welcome!

Approximate Purchase Date: Near future

Budget Range: 16000-18000 SEK (2195-2469 USD, rough estimate)

System Usage: Silent gaming computer that can play games extremely well on a single monitor at (1920x1200 alt 1920x1080). Other software usage: Photoshop, Illustrator, Flash

Are you buying a monitor: No

Parts:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CPU:
i7 2600K

Observation:
Heard bad things about Ivy bridge and overheating so I decided to go Sandy bridge.

Question:
Since my primary goal is gaming why then the 2600k over the 2500k? Will the extra threading help when using other software in conjunction, like fraps or some internet streaming software?
Never did any overclocking before but want to overclock it to (4.5) if possible, is it hard? Will the 2600k overclock as well as 2500k?
If I went for Ivy, then my choice would be 3770k (not that far apart in price from 2600k)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CPU cooler:
Noctua NH-D14
Cooler Master V8
Phanteks PH-TC14PE

Observation:
Just a couple of choices, heard that they are large and bulky and low profile ram might be needed as well as a larger chassis.

Question:
Would you recommend something else?
Mother Board:
???????, (need input)

Observation:
This one is really puzzling. Not a big fan of the onboard Realtek audio, might be looking for something better like the Asus Maximus onboard sound, or is it just better to buy another external soundcard like (Asus Xonar Essence STX or Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium) and disable the onboard card. This might take up another PCI-E slot needed for SLI.

Question:
Z68, Z77 and PCI-Express 3.0. Going with Sandy bridge would make me buy Z68? What is the advantage about PCI-Express 3.0 and do any Z68 cards support it? Do I really need it? What size
Would you recommend buying a larger card (extended-ATX), just for SLI space and the large CPU cooler?
Graphics:
Asus GeForce GTX670-DC2T-2GD5 2GB (top)
Asus GeForce GTX680-DC2T-2GD5 2GB (top)

Observation:
Not sure how big the difference is between these cards.
1920x1200 or 1920x1080, single monitor, mostly online fps games like arma 2,(arma 3), red orchestra 2, etc. Large amount of players in the same area, large playing field. Maximum graphic settings if possible and steady fps, (60) minimum.
Both cards might max out current games but I will download mods that push game engines to their limit and might not be as well graphicly optimized as the original product. That's why it might be better to get the extra juice from the 680?
My plan is to upgrade to SLI later on so I need space and enough power supply.
RAM-memory:
Corsair Vengeance Low Profile DDR3 PC12800/1600MHz CL9 2x4GB
PSU:
???????, (need input)
Something that fits the budget but can manage future SLI and overclocking. Silent? Modular?
Chassis:
???????, (need input)
Something that fits the budget, large and cool, (extended-ATX, server).
Storage:
2x Samsung 830 Series MZ-7PC128 128GB

Do you need to buy OS: No

Location: Sweden (might be slightly more expensive to buy components here)

Overclocking: Yes
SLI or Crossfire: Yes, (but in the future)

Monitor Resolution: 1920x1200 (Single monitor)

Additional Comments: Do I need anything else? Like extra chassis fans? Please give input if needed.

Thank you for reading, feel free to give any input.
- K

More about : build budget 2195 2469 choosing parts

a c 89 B Homebuilt system
July 23, 2012 7:14:23 PM

On the cpu--- In general, the difference between a 2500K and a 2600K, or a 3570K and a 3770K is the addition of hyperthreading capability. Hyperthreads use unused cycles of the main core to do extra work. The 4 extra hyperthreads act like 4 additional cores of about 25% power each.
Few games use more than 2 or 3 cores, so the hyperthreading capability will be largely unused for gaming. The extra $100 price premium can be better used elsewhere.

On the other hand, if you will be using apps that are cpu bound and multi thread enabled, such as rendering or photoshop, then hyperthreading is of value.

In any case, each chip can be overclocked to about the same upper limit.

As to the ivy bridge chips, they are about 5% faster, clock for clock. The heat problem with ivy bridge overclocking comes with very aggressive overclocks and high voltages. If your oc targets are conservative, say to 4.3, then you will find ivy bridge to be somewhat cooler; at least I did, coming from a 2600K. Performance will be equivalent to a 2500K@4.5.

My thought is to use the newer 3570K.

Those coolers are about the best. But, a much cheaper cm hyper212 would be very close.

Need to, or not, I would buy low profile ram, it should cost no more. 1.5v ram does not even need heat spreaders.
No need for speeds faster than 1600 either, read this:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/4503/sandy-bridge-memory-...

For gaming, a 8gb kit of 2 x 4gb will be fine. If your photoshop usage is heavy, then it can use all the ram it can get.
Ram is cheap, a 16gb kit of 2 x 8gb would be reasonable.

Most any Z77 based motherboard will do the job. They cost no more than Z68, and have some potentially useful features.
I am no expert on sound, but I suggest you try the onboard HD sound first. You can always add a discrete sound card later.
They will usually need only a X1 pcie slot

I would not worry about pcie 2.0/3.0, or how they are implemented.
Current graphics cards hardly are limited by 2.0. The Z77 boards will cost less to build because they do not need extra pcie 3.0 chips. But functionally, it makes little difference.

I would not plan on sli.
Here is my canned rant on that subject:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dual graphics cards vs. a good single card.

a) How good do you really need to be?
A single GTX560 or 6870 can give you great performance at 1920 x 1200 in most games.

A single GTX560ti or 6950 will give you excellent performance at 1920 x 1200 in most games.
Even 2560 x 1600 will be good with lowered detail.
A single 7970 or GTX680 is about as good as it gets.

Only if you are looking at triple monitor gaming, then sli/cf will be needed.
Even that is now changing with triple monitor support on top end cards.

b) The costs for a single card are lower.
You require a less expensive motherboard; no need for sli/cf or multiple pci-e slots.
Even a ITX motherboard will do.

Your psu costs are less.
A GTX560ti needs a 450w psu, even a GTX580 only needs a 600w psu.
When you add another card to the mix, plan on adding 150-200w to your psu requirements.
A single more modern 28nm card like a 7970 or GTX680 needs only 550W.
Even the strongest GTX690 only needs 650w.

Case cooling becomes more of an issue with dual cards.
That means a more expensive case with more and stronger fans.
You will also look at more noise.

c) Dual cards do not always render their half of the display in sync, causing microstuttering. It is an annoying effect.
The benefit of higher benchmark fps can be offset, particularly with lower tier cards.
Read this: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-geforce-stut...

d) dual card support is dependent on the driver. Not all games can benefit from dual cards.

e) cf/sli up front reduces your option to get another card for an upgrade. Not that I suggest you plan for that.
It will often be the case that replacing your current card with a newer gen card will offer a better upgrade path.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For a single monitor, a GTX680 does not seem to be worth the price premium over a GTX670.

The psu you need will be determined by your graphics card. For a single GTX670/GTX680, you will only need a 550w psu.
It would not be wrong to overprovision the psu a bit to 650w. That is enough if you should ever want to swap out your card for a GTX690. Otherwise, add in 200w or so extra to provide for sli. More than likely, son of kepler will show up before you ever need to upgrade. In a small form factor case, modular is good. But in anything larger, it should be a non issue.
It may be good to look at more efficient gold and silver certified power supplies if you want quiet. Their fans will hardly run at all.
My short list of quality psu brands would include Seasonic, Antec, Corsair, PC P&C, and XFX.

You listed Samsung 830. That is very good.
But do not try to use them in raid-0. You may win some sequential benchmarks, but in actual use, they are not as effective as a single 256gb ssd. I know, I tried it before. In addition, raid-0 loses you the trim capability which keeps your ssd capable of writing faster.

As to cases, your preferences matter the most. Buy a case that you love the looks of. Most will have adequate cooling if they have two 120mm intake fns or the equivalent for output. Size does not really matter, it is the airflow that counts. See my sig, the M-ATX silverstone TJ-08E is virtually silent.

For quiet cases, do some research at www.silentpcreview.com

------------good luck------------
Here is one review of the Antec solo II: http://www.silentpcreview.com/antec-solo2

July 23, 2012 7:46:30 PM

Thank you for the quick feedback! I will do some more research and redo my list. The 3570K clocked to 4.3 sound fair, but I might consider the 3770K just for Photoshop like you pointed out.

As for the GTX680, might be just paranoid but is it really that overkill? Considering how some games are poorly optimized when they are released and not going SLI, will the Asus GeForce GTX670-DC2T-2GD5 2GB keep me satisfied? Might just be my fear of having to upgrade again.

Anyway thanks again for taking your time and answering, I will try my best to dig deeper, more confusion awaits!

- K
Related resources
July 23, 2012 7:54:06 PM

If your going to be recording your gameplay with Fraps then Hyperthreading will help, same goes for streaming, and your work in Photoshop, Illustrator, and Flash.

Just my little bit of input. I don't know how much experience you have will streaming, but anything pushing high quality will really push your CPU. ~5Mb/s cripples my stock 8120, which under heavy threading stands pretty close to a stock 2500k.
July 23, 2012 8:02:53 PM

Silverstone Raven RV03
i7 2600k
Asrock Gen3 Z68 1155 MB
16 GB 1600 DDR3 G.skill
Gigabyte Windforce GTX 670 2GB
Corsair TX 650
Hyper Evo 212 with MX-4 paste
July 23, 2012 8:19:36 PM

viridiancrystal said:
If your going to be recording your gameplay with Fraps then Hyperthreading will help, same goes for streaming, and your work in Photoshop, Illustrator, and Flash.

Just my little bit of input. I don't know how much experience you have will streaming, but anything pushing high quality will really push your CPU. ~5Mb/s cripples my stock 8120, which under heavy threading stands pretty close to a stock 2500k.

Yes, I suspected this. Good to know, all-round works for me. Thank you for the input.

redeemer said:
Silverstone Raven RV03
i7 2600k
Asrock Gen3 Z68 1155 MB
16 GB 1600 DDR3 G.skill
Gigabyte Windforce GTX 670 2GB
Corsair TX 650
Hyper Evo 212 with MX-4 paste

Starting to see a pattern, 670 must be very price-worthy. Thank you for the list!
July 23, 2012 8:28:44 PM

Konrad said:
Yes, I suspected this. Good to know, all-round works for me. Thank you for the input.

Starting to see a pattern, 670 must be very price-worthy. Thank you for the list!

Yeah i mean its not the absolute best card, but it has great features and a decent price with CUDA of course. The gigabyte model cools well and 670 has low power draw.

If you can grab the Samsung 830 SSD it awsome

Theres no real benefit in going Ivy Bridge or Sandy E unless you want to go trifire or triple SLI. For me even the dedicated USB 3.0 isnt a big deal either
a c 89 B Homebuilt system
July 23, 2012 9:24:43 PM

Konrad said:
Thank you for the quick feedback! I will do some more research and redo my list. The 3570K clocked to 4.3 sound fair, but I might consider the 3770K just for Photoshop like you pointed out.

As for the GTX680, might be just paranoid but is it really that overkill? Considering how some games are poorly optimized when they are released and not going SLI, will the Asus GeForce GTX670-DC2T-2GD5 2GB keep me satisfied? Might just be my fear of having to upgrade again.

Anyway thanks again for taking your time and answering, I will try my best to dig deeper, more confusion awaits!

- K

It sort of comes down to your budget, and how important $100 is to you.
That is the price delta of a 3770K over a 3570K, and, similarly, the delta of a GTX680 over a GTX670.

If you have a firm budget, of course, you must meed it.
But, if you have the funds, get the best since there are no negative tradeoffs save the price.

For what it is worth:
Over the years, I have rarely regretted spending more for something good. I have often regretted spending less and not getting what I really wanted.
April 21, 2013 1:02:09 PM

I personally myself prefer using a AMD Based system

Qty. Product Description Savings Total Price

COOLER MASTER HAF X RC-942-KKN1 Black Steel/ Plastic ATX Full Tower Computer Case
Item #: N82E16811119225
Return Policy: Standard Return Policy
$199.99

ASUS Crosshair V Formula-Z AM3+ AMD 990FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Gaming Motherboard with 3-Way SLI/CrossFireX Support ...
Item #: N82E16813131876
Return Policy: Limited Replacement Only Return Policy
Protect Your Investment (expand for options)
$239.99

ASUS GTX680-DC2T-2GD5 GeForce GTX 680 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card
Item #: N82E16814121634
Return Policy: VGA Standard Return Policy
$20.00 Mail-in Rebate Card
$539.99

NVIDIA Coupon Metro: Last Light
Item #: N82E16800995159
Return Policy: VGA Standard Return Policy
-$59.99 Saving
$59.99
$0.00

G.SKILL Ripjaws Z Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2400 (PC3 19200) Desktop Memory Model F3-2400C10Q-16GZH
Return Policy: Memory Standard Return Policy
$159.99

AMD FX-8350 Vishera 4.0GHz (4.2GHz Turbo) Socket AM3+ 125W Eight-Core Desktop Processor FD8350FRHKBOX
Item #: N82E16819113284
Return Policy: CPU Replacement Only Return Policy
$199.99

Prolimatech PRO-PNTH 120mm Panther CPU Cooler
Item #: N82E16835242010
$49.99

LITE-ON H/H Internal BD Writer with Nero Essential SATA IHBS312-98
Item #: N82E16827106381
-$10.00 Instant
$99.99
$89.99

SAMSUNG 830 Series MZ-7PC512B/WW 2.5" 512GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
Item #: N82E16820147165
Return Policy: Limited Replacement Only Return Policy

I put together this system it uses an asus croshair V formula z motherboard the vishera 8350
processor 16gb of 2400 ddr3 memory

A 500 hundred gb SSD

1200 Watt 80 plus Gold Power supply sli and crossfire certified

A bluray Drive

A coolermaster haf x case

gtx 680 card

And it was slightly under your budget at 2025.00 us dollars