Multiple Administrators and Other Users Residing under "Do..

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

Yesterday, I customized my HP notebook (model ze4933us), running Windows XP
SP2, so that "My Documents" does not appear on the folder list in Windows
Explorer or My Computer. I am the only person who will ever use this
computer, so my one user-administrator account is all I need.

I have just noticed today, however, under My Computer>Local Disk
(C:)>Documents and Settings, that a whole crop of user folders have appeared
out of nowhere. They are as follows:

Adminstrator
Administrator HPLAPTOP
Administrator HPLAPTOP.000
All Users
Default User
Ethel (that's me, more or less)
Guest

Who are all these administrators? Who is this "Default User"? Each one of
these folders contains multiple subfolders. I'm willing to put up with one
"Guest," but I don't want all these other folks on my machine. Is there a
way to banish them?

Thanks!

Joan
12 answers Last reply
More about multiple administrators users residing
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    Administrator default built-in local administrator account

    Administrator HPLAPTOP possibly created because of profile corruption

    Administrator HPLAPTOP.000 possibly created because of profile corruption

    All Users What you see on your desktop and start menu will be the sum of
    what ever is in;
    \Documents and Settings\All Users\Desktop
    \Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs
    \Documents and Settings\ [username]\Desktop
    \Documents and Settings\ [username]\Start Menu\Programs

    Default User built-in profile template that new users inherit from

    Ethel (that's me, more or less)

    Guest built-in guest account (disabled by default)

    --
    Regards,

    Dave Patrick ....Please no email replies - reply in newsgroup.
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    "A Baffled User" wrote:
    | Yesterday, I customized my HP notebook (model ze4933us), running Windows
    XP
    | SP2, so that "My Documents" does not appear on the folder list in Windows
    | Explorer or My Computer. I am the only person who will ever use this
    | computer, so my one user-administrator account is all I need.
    |
    | I have just noticed today, however, under My Computer>Local Disk
    | (C:)>Documents and Settings, that a whole crop of user folders have
    appeared
    | out of nowhere. They are as follows:
    |
    | Adminstrator
    | Administrator HPLAPTOP
    | Administrator HPLAPTOP.000
    | All Users
    | Default User
    | Ethel (that's me, more or less)
    | Guest
    |
    | Who are all these administrators? Who is this "Default User"? Each one of
    | these folders contains multiple subfolders. I'm willing to put up with one
    | "Guest," but I don't want all these other folks on my machine. Is there a
    | way to banish them?
    |
    | Thanks!
    |
    | Joan
    |
    |
  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    This is by default within XP. All is well and no, there isn't a way to
    remove or disable them.

    --
    In memory of our dear friend, MVP Alex Nichol: http://www.dts-l.org/

    All the Best,
    Kelly (MS-MVP)

    Troubleshooting Windows XP
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com


    "A Baffled User" <vze265vd@verizon.net> wrote in message
    news:afX6e.18625$1p4.8327@trndny06...
    > Yesterday, I customized my HP notebook (model ze4933us), running Windows
    > XP
    > SP2, so that "My Documents" does not appear on the folder list in Windows
    > Explorer or My Computer. I am the only person who will ever use this
    > computer, so my one user-administrator account is all I need.
    >
    > I have just noticed today, however, under My Computer>Local Disk
    > (C:)>Documents and Settings, that a whole crop of user folders have
    > appeared
    > out of nowhere. They are as follows:
    >
    > Adminstrator
    > Administrator HPLAPTOP
    > Administrator HPLAPTOP.000
    > All Users
    > Default User
    > Ethel (that's me, more or less)
    > Guest
    >
    > Who are all these administrators? Who is this "Default User"? Each one of
    > these folders contains multiple subfolders. I'm willing to put up with one
    > "Guest," but I don't want all these other folks on my machine. Is there a
    > way to banish them?
    >
    > Thanks!
    >
    > Joan
    >
    >
  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    If indeed I do have "profile corruption," how would I go about setting
    things straight?

    Joan

    "Dave Patrick" <mail@Nospam.DSPatrick.com> wrote in message
    news:#e21s26PFHA.4004@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
    > Administrator default built-in local administrator account
    >
    > Administrator HPLAPTOP possibly created because of profile corruption
    >
    > Administrator HPLAPTOP.000 possibly created because of profile corruption
    >
    > All Users What you see on your desktop and start menu will be the sum of
    > what ever is in;
    > \Documents and Settings\All Users\Desktop
    > \Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs
    > \Documents and Settings\ [username]\Desktop
    > \Documents and Settings\ [username]\Start Menu\Programs
    >
    > Default User built-in profile template that new users inherit from
    >
    > Ethel (that's me, more or less)
    >
    > Guest built-in guest account (disabled by default)
    >
    > --
    > Regards,
    >
    > Dave Patrick ....Please no email replies - reply in newsgroup.
    > Microsoft Certified Professional
    > Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    > http://www.microsoft.com/protect
    >
    > "A Baffled User" wrote:
    > | Yesterday, I customized my HP notebook (model ze4933us), running Windows
    > XP
    > | SP2, so that "My Documents" does not appear on the folder list in
    Windows
    > | Explorer or My Computer. I am the only person who will ever use this
    > | computer, so my one user-administrator account is all I need.
    > |
    > | I have just noticed today, however, under My Computer>Local Disk
    > | (C:)>Documents and Settings, that a whole crop of user folders have
    > appeared
    > | out of nowhere. They are as follows:
    > |
    > | Adminstrator
    > | Administrator HPLAPTOP
    > | Administrator HPLAPTOP.000
    > | All Users
    > | Default User
    > | Ethel (that's me, more or less)
    > | Guest
    > |
    > | Who are all these administrators? Who is this "Default User"? Each one
    of
    > | these folders contains multiple subfolders. I'm willing to put up with
    one
    > | "Guest," but I don't want all these other folks on my machine. Is there
    a
    > | way to banish them?
    > |
    > | Thanks!
    > |
    > | Joan
    > |
    > |
    >
    >
  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    First let's verify the corruption and what profile is being used for the
    local administrator account. Logon as local administrator then from a
    command prompt;

    echo %USERPROFILE%

    What does is return with?

    --
    Regards,

    Dave Patrick ....Please no email replies - reply in newsgroup.
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    "A Baffled User" wrote:
    | If indeed I do have "profile corruption," how would I go about setting
    | things straight?
    |
    | Joan
  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    My notebook has been customized so that I, as its one and only
    user-administrator, am automatically logged on, bypassing the Welcome
    screen, whenever I turn on the unit. That being the case, I don't really
    know how to log on as a "local administrator." Under Control Panel | User
    Accounts, for example, the only accounts that are listed are "Ethel" (me)
    and "Guest." I'm also not sure what you mean by a "command prompt." It
    sounds like DOS terminology. Is that right?

    Joan

    "Dave Patrick" <mail@Nospam.DSPatrick.com> wrote in message
    news:eEwp8GFQFHA.3760@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
    > First let's verify the corruption and what profile is being used for the
    > local administrator account. Logon as local administrator then from a
    > command prompt;
    >
    > echo %USERPROFILE%
    >
    > What does is return with?
    >
    > --
    > Regards,
    >
    > Dave Patrick ....Please no email replies - reply in newsgroup.
    > Microsoft Certified Professional
    > Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    > http://www.microsoft.com/protect
    >
    > "A Baffled User" wrote:
    > | If indeed I do have "profile corruption," how would I go about setting
    > | things straight?
    > |
    > | Joan
    >
    >
  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    If it is 'Home' version of Windows XP then you must start a 'Safe Mode' boot
    in order to logon as local administrator. Yes a command prompt session can
    be started by;
    Start|Run|cmd.exe

    I really wouldn't be too concerned about any of this. There is not a
    security issue here. No one else is using your computer.

    --
    Regards,

    Dave Patrick ....Please no email replies - reply in newsgroup.
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    "A Baffled User" wrote:
    | My notebook has been customized so that I, as its one and only
    | user-administrator, am automatically logged on, bypassing the Welcome
    | screen, whenever I turn on the unit. That being the case, I don't really
    | know how to log on as a "local administrator." Under Control Panel | User
    | Accounts, for example, the only accounts that are listed are "Ethel" (me)
    | and "Guest." I'm also not sure what you mean by a "command prompt." It
    | sounds like DOS terminology. Is that right?
    |
    | Joan
  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    Okay, I'll just let the matter drop for the time being. I'll see if I can
    perform the test you suggested in your previous message later on, when I
    have more time to concentrate carefully on what I'm doing.

    Thanks for your help.

    Best,
    Joan

    "Dave Patrick" <mail@Nospam.DSPatrick.com> wrote in message
    news:#SAV4gFQFHA.3544@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
    > If it is 'Home' version of Windows XP then you must start a 'Safe Mode'
    boot
    > in order to logon as local administrator. Yes a command prompt session can
    > be started by;
    > Start|Run|cmd.exe
    >
    > I really wouldn't be too concerned about any of this. There is not a
    > security issue here. No one else is using your computer.
    >
    > --
    > Regards,
    >
    > Dave Patrick ....Please no email replies - reply in newsgroup.
    > Microsoft Certified Professional
    > Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    > http://www.microsoft.com/protect
    >
    > "A Baffled User" wrote:
    > | My notebook has been customized so that I, as its one and only
    > | user-administrator, am automatically logged on, bypassing the Welcome
    > | screen, whenever I turn on the unit. That being the case, I don't really
    > | know how to log on as a "local administrator." Under Control Panel |
    User
    > | Accounts, for example, the only accounts that are listed are "Ethel"
    (me)
    > | and "Guest." I'm also not sure what you mean by a "command prompt." It
    > | sounds like DOS terminology. Is that right?
    > |
    > | Joan
    >
    >
  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    OK, sounds good. I'll be glad to pursue this if you really want to. I didn't
    mention that the corruption (if it exists) is not in the profile you
    normally use. It would be in the local administrator profile.

    --
    Regards,

    Dave Patrick ....Please no email replies - reply in newsgroup.
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    "A Baffled User" wrote:
    | Okay, I'll just let the matter drop for the time being. I'll see if I can
    | perform the test you suggested in your previous message later on, when I
    | have more time to concentrate carefully on what I'm doing.
    |
    | Thanks for your help.
    |
    | Best,
    | Joan
  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    Well, that's encouraging, anyway . . . The unit is brand new, and I haven't
    done much with it at all yet. I'll report back after I've followed your
    original instructions.

    All best,
    Joan

    "Dave Patrick" <mail@Nospam.DSPatrick.com> wrote in message
    news:eiGHyxGQFHA.2932@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
    > OK, sounds good. I'll be glad to pursue this if you really want to. I
    didn't
    > mention that the corruption (if it exists) is not in the profile you
    > normally use. It would be in the local administrator profile.
    >
    > --
    > Regards,
    >
    > Dave Patrick ....Please no email replies - reply in newsgroup.
    > Microsoft Certified Professional
    > Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    > http://www.microsoft.com/protect
    >
    > "A Baffled User" wrote:
    > | Okay, I'll just let the matter drop for the time being. I'll see if I
    can
    > | perform the test you suggested in your previous message later on, when I
    > | have more time to concentrate carefully on what I'm doing.
    > |
    > | Thanks for your help.
    > |
    > | Best,
    > | Joan
    >
    >
  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    OK, we'll be here.

    --
    Regards,

    Dave Patrick ....Please no email replies - reply in newsgroup.
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    "A Baffled User" wrote:
    | Well, that's encouraging, anyway . . . The unit is brand new, and I
    haven't
    | done much with it at all yet. I'll report back after I've followed your
    | original instructions.
    |
    | All best,
    | Joan
  11. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    Just so you know, I called HP tech support, and they showed me how to get
    rid of the extra administrators by going to Safe Mode and then deleting them
    from the list. Thanks to everyone for suggestions.

    Joan

    "Dave Patrick" <mail@Nospam.DSPatrick.com> wrote in message
    news:uR3ngwIQFHA.2136@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
    > OK, we'll be here.
    >
    > --
    > Regards,
    >
    > Dave Patrick ....Please no email replies - reply in newsgroup.
    > Microsoft Certified Professional
    > Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    > http://www.microsoft.com/protect
    >
    > "A Baffled User" wrote:
    > | Well, that's encouraging, anyway . . . The unit is brand new, and I
    > haven't
    > | done much with it at all yet. I'll report back after I've followed your
    > | original instructions.
    > |
    > | All best,
    > | Joan
    >
    >
  12. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    Glad to hear it's sorted.

    --
    Regards,

    Dave Patrick ....Please no email replies - reply in newsgroup.
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    "A Baffled User" wrote:
    | Just so you know, I called HP tech support, and they showed me how to get
    | rid of the extra administrators by going to Safe Mode and then deleting
    them
    | from the list. Thanks to everyone for suggestions.
    |
    | Joan
Ask a new question

Read More

Configuration Computers Windows XP