Multiple Administrators and Other Users Residing under "Do..

April 13, 2005 1:40:22 AM

Yesterday, I customized my HP notebook (model ze4933us), running Windows XP
SP2, so that "My Documents" does not appear on the folder list in Windows
Explorer or My Computer. I am the only person who will ever use this
computer, so my one user-administrator account is all I need.

I have just noticed today, however, under My Computer>Local Disk
(C:) >Documents and Settings, that a whole crop of user folders have appeared
out of nowhere. They are as follows:

Adminstrator
Administrator HPLAPTOP
Administrator HPLAPTOP.000
All Users
Default User
Ethel (that's me, more or less)
Guest

Who are all these administrators? Who is this "Default User"? Each one of
these folders contains multiple subfolders. I'm willing to put up with one
"Guest," but I don't want all these other folks on my machine. Is there a
way to banish them?

Thanks!

Joan
Anonymous
April 13, 2005 1:40:23 AM

Administrator default built-in local administrator account

Administrator HPLAPTOP possibly created because of profile corruption

Administrator HPLAPTOP.000 possibly created because of profile corruption

All Users What you see on your desktop and start menu will be the sum of
what ever is in;
\Documents and Settings\All Users\Desktop
\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs
\Documents and Settings\ [username]\Desktop
\Documents and Settings\ [username]\Start Menu\Programs

Default User built-in profile template that new users inherit from

Ethel (that's me, more or less)

Guest built-in guest account (disabled by default)

--
Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"A Baffled User" wrote:
| Yesterday, I customized my HP notebook (model ze4933us), running Windows
XP
| SP2, so that "My Documents" does not appear on the folder list in Windows
| Explorer or My Computer. I am the only person who will ever use this
| computer, so my one user-administrator account is all I need.
|
| I have just noticed today, however, under My Computer>Local Disk
| (C:) >Documents and Settings, that a whole crop of user folders have
appeared
| out of nowhere. They are as follows:
|
| Adminstrator
| Administrator HPLAPTOP
| Administrator HPLAPTOP.000
| All Users
| Default User
| Ethel (that's me, more or less)
| Guest
|
| Who are all these administrators? Who is this "Default User"? Each one of
| these folders contains multiple subfolders. I'm willing to put up with one
| "Guest," but I don't want all these other folks on my machine. Is there a
| way to banish them?
|
| Thanks!
|
| Joan

April 13, 2005 5:53:17 AM

This is by default within XP. All is well and no, there isn't a way to
remove or disable them.

--
In memory of our dear friend, MVP Alex Nichol: http://www.dts-l.org/

All the Best,
Kelly (MS-MVP)

Troubleshooting Windows XP
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

"A Baffled User" <vze265vd@verizon.net> wrote in message
> Yesterday, I customized my HP notebook (model ze4933us), running Windows
> XP
> SP2, so that "My Documents" does not appear on the folder list in Windows
> Explorer or My Computer. I am the only person who will ever use this
> computer, so my one user-administrator account is all I need.
>
> I have just noticed today, however, under My Computer>Local Disk
> (C:) >Documents and Settings, that a whole crop of user folders have
> appeared
> out of nowhere. They are as follows:
>
> Adminstrator
> Administrator HPLAPTOP
> Administrator HPLAPTOP.000
> All Users
> Default User
> Ethel (that's me, more or less)
> Guest
>
> Who are all these administrators? Who is this "Default User"? Each one of
> these folders contains multiple subfolders. I'm willing to put up with one
> "Guest," but I don't want all these other folks on my machine. Is there a
> way to banish them?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Joan

April 13, 2005 9:35:34 PM

If indeed I do have "profile corruption," how would I go about setting
things straight?

Joan

"Dave Patrick" <mail@Nospam.DSPatrick.com> wrote in message
> Administrator default built-in local administrator account
>
> Administrator HPLAPTOP possibly created because of profile corruption
>
> Administrator HPLAPTOP.000 possibly created because of profile corruption
>
> All Users What you see on your desktop and start menu will be the sum of
> what ever is in;
> \Documents and Settings\All Users\Desktop
> \Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs
> \Documents and Settings\ [username]\Desktop
> \Documents and Settings\ [username]\Start Menu\Programs
>
> Default User built-in profile template that new users inherit from
>
> Ethel (that's me, more or less)
>
> Guest built-in guest account (disabled by default)
>
> --
> Regards,

> Microsoft Certified Professional
> Microsoft MVP [Windows]
> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>
> "A Baffled User" wrote:
> | Yesterday, I customized my HP notebook (model ze4933us), running Windows
> XP
> | SP2, so that "My Documents" does not appear on the folder list in
Windows
> | Explorer or My Computer. I am the only person who will ever use this
> | computer, so my one user-administrator account is all I need.
> |
> | I have just noticed today, however, under My Computer>Local Disk
> | (C:) >Documents and Settings, that a whole crop of user folders have
> appeared
> | out of nowhere. They are as follows:
> |
> | Adminstrator
> | Administrator HPLAPTOP
> | Administrator HPLAPTOP.000
> | All Users
> | Default User
> | Ethel (that's me, more or less)
> | Guest
> |
> | Who are all these administrators? Who is this "Default User"? Each one
of
> | these folders contains multiple subfolders. I'm willing to put up with
one
> | "Guest," but I don't want all these other folks on my machine. Is there
> | way to banish them?
> |
> | Thanks!
> |
> | Joan

Anonymous
April 13, 2005 9:35:35 PM

First let's verify the corruption and what profile is being used for the
local administrator account. Logon as local administrator then from a
command prompt;

echo %USERPROFILE%

What does is return with?

--

"A Baffled User" wrote:
| If indeed I do have "profile corruption," how would I go about setting
| things straight?
|
| Joan
Anonymous
April 13, 2005 10:20:30 PM

My notebook has been customized so that I, as its one and only
user-administrator, am automatically logged on, bypassing the Welcome
screen, whenever I turn on the unit. That being the case, I don't really
know how to log on as a "local administrator." Under Control Panel | User
Accounts, for example, the only accounts that are listed are "Ethel" (me)
and "Guest." I'm also not sure what you mean by a "command prompt." It
sounds like DOS terminology. Is that right?

> First let's verify the corruption and what profile is being used for the
> local administrator account. Logon as local administrator then from a
> command prompt;
>
> echo %USERPROFILE%
>
> What does is return with?
>
> --
> Regards,

> Microsoft Certified Professional
> Microsoft MVP [Windows]
> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>
> "A Baffled User" wrote:
> | If indeed I do have "profile corruption," how would I go about setting
> | things straight?
> |
> | Joan

Anonymous
April 13, 2005 10:20:31 PM

If it is 'Home' version of Windows XP then you must start a 'Safe Mode' boot
in order to logon as local administrator. Yes a command prompt session can
be started by;
Start|Run|cmd.exe

I really wouldn't be too concerned about any of this. There is not a
security issue here. No one else is using your computer.

--

"A Baffled User" wrote:
| My notebook has been customized so that I, as its one and only
| user-administrator, am automatically logged on, bypassing the Welcome
| screen, whenever I turn on the unit. That being the case, I don't really
| know how to log on as a "local administrator." Under Control Panel | User
| Accounts, for example, the only accounts that are listed are "Ethel" (me)
| and "Guest." I'm also not sure what you mean by a "command prompt." It
| sounds like DOS terminology. Is that right?
|
| Joan
Anonymous
April 13, 2005 10:59:33 PM

Okay, I'll just let the matter drop for the time being. I'll see if I can
perform the test you suggested in your previous message later on, when I
have more time to concentrate carefully on what I'm doing.

Thanks for your help.

Best,

> If it is 'Home' version of Windows XP then you must start a 'Safe Mode'
boot
> in order to logon as local administrator. Yes a command prompt session can
> be started by;
> Start|Run|cmd.exe
>
> I really wouldn't be too concerned about any of this. There is not a
> security issue here. No one else is using your computer.
>
> --
> Regards,

> Microsoft Certified Professional
> Microsoft MVP [Windows]
> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>
> "A Baffled User" wrote:
> | My notebook has been customized so that I, as its one and only
> | user-administrator, am automatically logged on, bypassing the Welcome
> | screen, whenever I turn on the unit. That being the case, I don't really
> | know how to log on as a "local administrator." Under Control Panel |
User
> | Accounts, for example, the only accounts that are listed are "Ethel"
(me)
> | and "Guest." I'm also not sure what you mean by a "command prompt." It
> | sounds like DOS terminology. Is that right?
> |
> | Joan

Anonymous
April 13, 2005 10:59:34 PM

OK, sounds good. I'll be glad to pursue this if you really want to. I didn't
mention that the corruption (if it exists) is not in the profile you
normally use. It would be in the local administrator profile.

--

"A Baffled User" wrote:
| Okay, I'll just let the matter drop for the time being. I'll see if I can
| perform the test you suggested in your previous message later on, when I
| have more time to concentrate carefully on what I'm doing.
|
| Thanks for your help.
|
| Best,
| Joan
Anonymous
April 14, 2005 4:31:48 AM

Well, that's encouraging, anyway . . . The unit is brand new, and I haven't
done much with it at all yet. I'll report back after I've followed your
original instructions.

All best,

> OK, sounds good. I'll be glad to pursue this if you really want to. I
didn't
> mention that the corruption (if it exists) is not in the profile you
> normally use. It would be in the local administrator profile.
>
> --
> Regards,

> Microsoft Certified Professional
> Microsoft MVP [Windows]
> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>
> "A Baffled User" wrote:
> | Okay, I'll just let the matter drop for the time being. I'll see if I
can
> | perform the test you suggested in your previous message later on, when I
> | have more time to concentrate carefully on what I'm doing.
> |
> | Thanks for your help.
> |
> | Best,
> | Joan

Anonymous
April 14, 2005 4:31:49 AM

OK, we'll be here.

--

"A Baffled User" wrote:
| Well, that's encouraging, anyway . . . The unit is brand new, and I
haven't
| done much with it at all yet. I'll report back after I've followed your
| original instructions.
|
| All best,
| Joan
Anonymous
April 27, 2005 9:33:16 PM

Just so you know, I called HP tech support, and they showed me how to get
rid of the extra administrators by going to Safe Mode and then deleting them
from the list. Thanks to everyone for suggestions.

> OK, we'll be here.
>
> --
> Regards,

> Microsoft Certified Professional
> Microsoft MVP [Windows]
> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>
> "A Baffled User" wrote:
> | Well, that's encouraging, anyway . . . The unit is brand new, and I
> haven't
> | done much with it at all yet. I'll report back after I've followed your
> | original instructions.
> |
> | All best,
> | Joan

Anonymous