Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • GPUs
  • Build
  • Graphics
  • Product
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 31, 2012 7:16:10 AM

Seems that my only struggling point is the GPU. I feel like I am indecisive, and feel like I might have spent "too much" on a GPU. Can someone take a look at this other GPU and tell me what you all think?

I have ordered a XFX 6950 2GB GPU over the Sapphire 6950 because I feel the XFX is a better build quality and looks to disperse heat better. Am I right or wrong on this?

XFX:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Sapphire:
http://www.amazon.com/Sapphire-DL-DVI-I-SL-DVI-D-PCI-Ex...

Another concern that I have is that the 6950 is to much power for my gaming choices.

GAMES THAT I PLAY CURRENTLY:
-Plethora of Steam Games (TF2, Portal 2, CS, etc etc)
-Diablo 3
-SC 2

I have this GPU also coming in the mail, I need to make a decision by Saturday:

AMD Radeon HD 6870 1GB
http://www.amazon.com/XFX-Radeon-M [...] 906&sr=8-1

Any suggestions?

Look forward to hearing your replies!

DarcMasta

P.S. I am not all AMD or Nvidia. I look for best bang for buck. 6950 is cheaper and equivalent to the GTX 560 TI. If you have any suggestions feel free to mention them! (Don't tell me to spend more on a GPU by the way. $200 is my hard cap on my expenses)

More about : narrowing gpu build

a b U Graphics card
May 31, 2012 7:36:57 AM

darcmasta said:
I have ordered a XFX 6950 2GB GPU over the Sapphire 6950 because I feel the XFX is a better build quality and looks to disperse heat better. Am I right or wrong on this?

I would say the Sapphire card would disperse heat much better due to having more heatpipes. The XFX Double D's are nice, but my brother's 6870 can get a bit toasty. I may be wrong since I haven't personally used that particular 6950, but it's just an assumption.

Also on a side note, don't touch those heatpipes on the XFX 6950 :lol:  they can oxidize fairly quickly and turn into a really ugly brown :D 

Also, for the games you play, the card DOES seem a bit overkill, but I always like to have some extra horsepower in my system in case I want to play more demanding games in the future.

Also, what resolution do you plan to game at? And what are your other system specs?

(The 6870 link doesn't work for me, by the way). Either way, any of these cards will make you happy :)  Have fun!
m
l
May 31, 2012 1:20:05 PM

mocchan said:
I would say the Sapphire card would disperse heat much better due to having more heatpipes. The XFX Double D's are nice, but my brother's 6870 can get a bit toasty. I may be wrong since I haven't personally used that particular 6950, but it's just an assumption.

Also on a side note, don't touch those heatpipes on the XFX 6950 :lol:  they can oxidize fairly quickly and turn into a really ugly brown :D 

Also, for the games you play, the card DOES seem a bit overkill, but I always like to have some extra horsepower in my system in case I want to play more demanding games in the future.

Also, what resolution do you plan to game at? And what are your other system specs?

(The 6870 link doesn't work for me, by the way). Either way, any of these cards will make you happy :)  Have fun!

Sorry for the late reply mocchan! You might be right, but either way I got a pretty good deal on my current setup =). Anyone have any insight on Sapphire 6950 vs XFX6950?

Also I wont worry about touching the pipes, either way i'm sure those pipes will heat up to the temperature of molten lava :bounce: 

I plan on playing at 1920 x 1080 or less. I am hooking it up to big screen 46 inch LED, and that is why I want a 2GB card until I get a smaller display. Either way its good to have a bit more VRAM just in case for the future =).

Do you think I can get by with a HD 6870 2GB or do you have any other recommendations? Again I love Nvidia, but I am willing to try AMD/ATI for a change. Only limitation is that the card can't cost more than $200 after taxes/shipping.

Here are my specs, what do you think?:

Case:ZALMAN Z11 Plus Black Steel - Price: $50.98 after rebate and taxes

Processor: Intel Ivy Bridge i5-3570K - Price: $208.99 after taxes

Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H - Price: $120.99

Power Supply: OCZ ModXStream Pro 700W Modular - Price: $49.99 after rebate

Video Card: XFX (HD-695X-CDFC) Radeon HD 6950 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 - Price: $199.99 after rebate and shipped

RAM:Corsair Vengeance 8 GB ( 2 x 4 GB ) DDR3 1600 MHz - Price: $47.99 shipped

HDD: OCZ Agility 3 60GB SSD - Price: $55.99 after rebate and taxes

HDD2: Seagate Barracuda 1.5TB 5900RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s HDD - Price: $89.99 after rebate and shipped
m
l
Related resources
a c 291 U Graphics card
May 31, 2012 1:39:35 PM

I'd stick with HD 6950. And since you already ordered XFX one, stick with it too. It's a decent GPU, and temperature difference will not exceed 3 °C anyway.

Also, resolution is what eats up video RAM. If you compared 22" with resolution of 1920x1080 and a 60" with 1280x720, the 22" would use up twice as much video RAM due to higher resolution.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
May 31, 2012 4:45:46 PM

I agree with Sunius. Your other PC specs are very well balanced and adding in a 6950 will give you very nice performance.

(As for heatpipes :lol:  just becareful not to touch them when you're installing!)

Good luck and have fun!
m
l
May 31, 2012 5:28:07 PM

Will do! Curious, I have heard of some current non-ref cards actually being able to be flashed to a 6970. I doubt this one will, but is there a sure fire way to tell without messing with the BIOS? I heard this chip doesn't have dual BIOS so I really don't want to risk it.
m
l
a c 291 U Graphics card
May 31, 2012 5:32:22 PM

You have a chance with all of them. But the chance is never 100%, so if there's no dual BIOS - don't even try it!
m
l
a b U Graphics card
May 31, 2012 8:05:03 PM

Sunius said:
You have a chance with all of them. But the chance is never 100%, so if there's no dual BIOS - don't even try it!

Yep, you don't want to brick your 6950!
m
l
May 31, 2012 10:45:55 PM

How do you all feel about the 6950 vs the GTX 560 TI? I mean I am not a fan boy but rather a one who looks for performance.

And the last thing I want to do is brick my precious brick of video goodness hehe.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
May 31, 2012 10:49:04 PM

http://www.hwcompare.com/8888/geforce-gtx-560-ti-vs-rad...
These are just numbers, but they give you a rough idea.
Both are great cards, I would say go with the card that has the better price (which just happens to be 6950 at the moment, but just barely at $10 cheaper).
m
l
!