DD-WRT is only good for wireless connections? or does it help LAN

rdsport323

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2010
I bought a DI-655 thinking that it would be DD-WRT compatible, but it's not. Now, since I can't run DD-WRT, is the router a piece of junk?

I mainly needed it as a way to connect my small office of 8 computers to a gigabit port and to make sure that transferring large files between the 8 computers won't be affected by not having DD-WRT. Does having DD-WRT help in anyway normal operations such as file sharing over LAN connections?

calmstateofmind

Distinguished

Sorry to hear your situation...if you were looking to use DD-WRT then yes, it is. Here's a router that's around the same price as the D-Link but does supports DD-WRT and is one that I've had great experience with. I'd recommend getting one that does support DD-WRT, as I've found it to be an essential component to network administration (especially when you're using cheaper equipment but want all the cool bells and whistles that more expensive ones offer).

I have a DIR-655 and with the right firmware (v1.21) is a very good router, but it can only handle 4 hardwired connections, unless you daisy chain off a switch or another router.

For your setup, utilise the 655 as the connection to your broadband and link back to a smart switch that all your PC's connect to. If you set it up right, everybody talks to everybody and file transfer performance should be good as workload off router. As a bonus, you can also support wireless clients.