Unwanted File Thing (Desktop)

I need help removing this 3 inch wide strip on the left side of desktop. It
just showed up...did a system restore and no help. Any help will be
appreciated. Running XPsp2 Compac 7500
--
wssl_bcky

In news:78207B6F-BA85-4696-9BE7-03155CCB3C6C@microsoft.com,
wssl_bcky <wsslbcky@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

> I need help removing this 3 inch wide strip on the left side
> of
> desktop. It just showed up...did a system restore and no help.
> Any
> help will be appreciated. Running XPsp2 Compac 7500

If 's very difficult to know what your "3 inch wide strip" is,
since you haven't given us any description at all. But I'll take
a wild guess that you're talking about the "Common Tasks Bar."
To get rid of it, go to Doug Knox's site, www.dougknox.com. On
the left, click Win XP Fixes, then Remove Common Tasks from
Desktop.

If you mean something other than the "Common Tasks Bar," post
back with more information.

Please reply to the newsgroup

Start | Run | Type: regsvr32 /i shell32 | Click OK |
Restart Windows.

From...
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User
http://windowsxp.mvps.org

Go here:

After reading the instructions.
Scroll down to:
15. Remove Common Tasks from the Desktop

XP_CommonTasks.exe - Remove Common Tasks from Desktop
© Doug Knox - 5/04/2003
This application will correct the Registry setting that causes the Common
Tasks pane to appear on the Windows XP Desktop.
http://www.dougknox.com/xp/scripts_desc/xp_commtask_desktop.htm

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:78207B6F-BA85-4696-9BE7-03155CCB3C6C@microsoft.com,
wssl_bcky <wsslbcky@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> I need help removing this 3 inch wide strip on the left side of
> desktop. It just showed up...did a system restore and no help. Any help
> will be appreciated. Running XPsp2 Compac 7500
> --
> wssl_bcky

Hi

Any name on the strip?

Please try the following programs to search for any spyware that may be on
your system:

Ad-Aware - www.lavasoftusa.com
Spybot - http://www.safer-networking.org/
CWShredder - http://forum.aumha.org/downloads/cwshredder.zip
Spy Sweeper - www.webroot.com

Try SpyWareBlaster to stop intrusions:

Also see the following links:

http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm
http://www.microsoft.com/security/articles/spyware.asp

--

Will Denny
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

"wssl_bcky" <wsslbcky@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I need help removing this 3 inch wide strip on the left side of desktop.
>It
> just showed up...did a system restore and no help. Any help will be
> appreciated. Running XPsp2 Compac 7500
> --
> wssl_bcky

Type in Start Run
regsvr32 /i shell32
and reboot.

"wssl_bcky" <wsslbcky@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:78207B6F-BA85-4696-9BE7-03155CCB3C6C@microsoft.com...
>I need help removing this 3 inch wide strip on the left side of desktop. It
> just showed up...did a system restore and no help. Any help will be
> appreciated. Running XPsp2 Compac 7500
> --
> wssl_bcky

galen

Distinguished
May 24, 2004

In news:%23w0HAPIQFHA.1392@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
Wesley Vogel <123WVogel955@comcast.net> had this to say:

> <LOL>

Not a single one of you suggested kicking it???

Galen