Unwanted File Thing (Desktop)

I need help removing this 3 inch wide strip on the left side of desktop. It
just showed up...did a system restore and no help. Any help will be
appreciated. Running XPsp2 Compac 7500
--
wssl_bcky
5 answers Last reply

    In news:78207B6F-BA85-4696-9BE7-03155CCB3C6C@microsoft.com,
    wssl_bcky <wsslbcky@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

    > I need help removing this 3 inch wide strip on the left side
    > of
    > desktop. It just showed up...did a system restore and no help.
    > Any
    > help will be appreciated. Running XPsp2 Compac 7500

    If 's very difficult to know what your "3 inch wide strip" is,
    since you haven't given us any description at all. But I'll take
    a wild guess that you're talking about the "Common Tasks Bar."
    To get rid of it, go to Doug Knox's site, www.dougknox.com. On
    the left, click Win XP Fixes, then Remove Common Tasks from
    Desktop.

    If you mean something other than the "Common Tasks Bar," post
    back with more information.

    Please reply to the newsgroup

    Start | Run | Type: regsvr32 /i shell32 | Click OK |
    Restart Windows.

    From...
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org

    Go here:

    After reading the instructions.
    Scroll down to:
    15. Remove Common Tasks from the Desktop

    XP_CommonTasks.exe - Remove Common Tasks from Desktop
    © Doug Knox - 5/04/2003
    This application will correct the Registry setting that causes the Common
    Tasks pane to appear on the Windows XP Desktop.
    http://www.dougknox.com/xp/scripts_desc/xp_commtask_desktop.htm

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:78207B6F-BA85-4696-9BE7-03155CCB3C6C@microsoft.com,
    wssl_bcky <wsslbcky@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    > I need help removing this 3 inch wide strip on the left side of
    > desktop. It just showed up...did a system restore and no help. Any help
    > will be appreciated. Running XPsp2 Compac 7500
    > --
    > wssl_bcky

    Hi

    Any name on the strip?

    Please try the following programs to search for any spyware that may be on
    your system:

    Ad-Aware - www.lavasoftusa.com
    Spybot - http://www.safer-networking.org/
    CWShredder - http://forum.aumha.org/downloads/cwshredder.zip
    Spy Sweeper - www.webroot.com

    Try SpyWareBlaster to stop intrusions:

    Also see the following links:

    http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
    http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm
    http://www.microsoft.com/security/articles/spyware.asp

    --

    Will Denny
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    "wssl_bcky" <wsslbcky@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I need help removing this 3 inch wide strip on the left side of desktop.
    >It
    > just showed up...did a system restore and no help. Any help will be
    > appreciated. Running XPsp2 Compac 7500
    > --
    > wssl_bcky

    Type in Start Run
    regsvr32 /i shell32
    and reboot.

    In news:%23w0HAPIQFHA.1392@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
    Wesley Vogel <123WVogel955@comcast.net> had this to say:

    > <LOL>

    Not a single one of you suggested kicking it???

    Galen

Configuration Desktops Microsoft Customization Windows XP