Sign in with
Your question

New PSU causes CPU Cooler/Heatsink fan to be incredibly loud

Last response: in Components
December 4, 2012 8:27:34 PM

After buying a new cheap power supply, (now fully aware of the risks of them) I installed it into an old HP Media Center PC m7510.uk
It boots up the computer perfectly fine, but the problem however is that it seems to be causing a terribly loud noise from the CPU Cooler Fan. We have had the computer running for at least 10 minutes so far, but the fan noise does not calm down at all. It is way too loud to be working with and I wondered if anybody might have an idea why? Could it be anything to do with the fan speed set to the wrong settings? If so, why was it reasonably quiet with the old PSU? The case for this old PC could do with a bit better airflow or more improved cooling. It only has an exhaust fan but seems to work fine and never shut down due to temperatures being too high or anything like that. Although this PC could do with a bit of an upgrade, it seems hardly worth it spending money on it now when I will be building a totally new gaming PC soon anyway.

So could anyone suggest any reasons why this might be happening?

Here is my YouTube video which should show in more detail the problem that is occuring:

Thanks for your help :) 

More about : psu cpu cooler heatsink fan incredibly loud

a b ) Power supply
December 4, 2012 8:45:28 PM

Hi there,
any chances you connect this fan to the power supply with some sort of 3 pin to molex adapter? If so it could be running at full speed because of that. If not are you sure this is from the CPU fan? Not the power supply fan? Lastly, if you can just temporarily switch the cpu fan with your case fan given it will fit and see if it makes the same noise...
December 4, 2012 9:08:28 PM

socialfox said:
Hi there,
any chances you connect this fan to the power supply with some sort of 3 pin to molex adapter? If so it could be running at full speed because of that. If not are you sure this is from the CPU fan? Not the power supply fan? Lastly, if you can just temporarily switch the cpu fan with your case fan given it will fit and see if it makes the same noise...

Thankyou for your reply. I am running the CPU cooler from the motherboard as that is the only place I can connect it to at the moment. I only have 4 pin molex adapters coming from the Power Supply. It is possible that it could be coming from the power supply fan rather than the CPU cooler, but as we tested each component separately with the Power Supply and only experienced this loud noise when it came to plugging in the CPU cooler. Temporarily switching the CPU fan is not a bad idea, and I will give it a go. Although, I still don't understand why it happens with the new PSU and not the old one.
!