Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

CPU Upgrade

Last response: in CPUs
Share
December 4, 2012 8:29:45 PM

What is the best CPU my Motherboard can handle that is better than a AMD Phenom X4 9600 AM2+?

The board is a MCP61PM-GM. I'v heard of it running a hexa-core CPU but that was modded BIOS apparently. Any suggestions are appreciated. Just please no hardware replacement like a new Motherboard. I want to know specifically what this board can do.

More about : cpu upgrade

a c 159 à CPUs
a c 435 V Motherboard
December 4, 2012 8:40:15 PM

No. Those old chipsets normally can't handle the phenom II's without a bios update. I doubt that oem board even has one. If you mod the bios with a non oem one, then you won't be able to run the original windows installation, unless you've already upgraded it.
December 4, 2012 8:55:49 PM

o1die said:
No. Those old chipsets normally can't handle the phenom II's without a bios update. I doubt that oem board even has one. If you mod the bios with a non oem one, then you won't be able to run the original windows installation, unless you've already upgraded it.

I didnt make this post just found it. http://www.bios-mods.com/forum/Thread-MCP61PM-GM I have the same board as him. Without the ECS, I have 8GB of ram installed in it right now and the Phenom x4 is AM2+ so could that run a Phenom II so long as I got the most recent BIOS update that was in 2010? I also found this old thread. http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/266637-30-emachines-m...
Related resources
a b à CPUs
December 4, 2012 9:00:49 PM

Trust me, messing with your BIOS isn't worth it - AM3 & AM3+ boards are more affordable these days, I'm sure you can get a combo deal on a Phenom II X6 with a board friend.
December 4, 2012 9:40:55 PM

payturr said:
Trust me, messing with your BIOS isn't worth it - AM3 & AM3+ boards are more affordable these days, I'm sure you can get a combo deal on a Phenom II X6 with a board friend.

Like I said, I just want to know what I can do with this board.
a b à CPUs
December 4, 2012 11:11:01 PM

PlanetaryPenguin321 said:
Like I said, I just want to know what I can do with this board.

Just checked supported CPUs for that socket, unless you have the lowest clocked Phenom, nothing you can do buddy.
!