Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Looking for advice on a 400-450 gaming pc build

Last response: in Systems
Share
July 23, 2012 8:10:01 PM

Hi everyone, im a bit new to the pc gaming stuff and i was wondering if i can get some advice on a budget build.

Approximate Purchase Date: Tomorrow..this week for shure

Budget Range: 300-450

System Usage from Most to Least Important: homework, youtube , gaming.

Are you buying a monitor: Yes / No



Parts to Upgrade: no parts yet

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: newegg
Location:Toronto
Parts Preferences: by brand or type intel maybe?
Overclocking: Yes / No / Maybe

SLI or Crossfire: dont know what that is



And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: never gamed on pc before and want to try out games like skyrim diablo on hd.


-Case:
APEX TX-381-C Black Steel Micro ATX Tower Computer Case
30$
-Motherboard:
BIOSTAR A780L3B AM3 AMD 760G Micro ATX AMD Motherboard
45$
-Optical Drive:
ASUS 24X DVD Burner
20$
-Power Supply (PSU):
APEX AL-D500EXP 500W ATX12V Power Supply
45$
-Processor:
AMD Athlon II X3 455 Rana 3.3GHz Socket AM3 95W Triple-Core Desktop Processor
80$
-RAM:
G.SKILL Value Series 4GB 240-Pin DDR3 1333 Desktop Memory Model F3-10600CL9S-4GBNT
20$
-Storage:
Western Digital Caviar Blue 320GB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive
70$
-Video Card:
PowerColor AX6570 Radeon HD 6570 1GB 128-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.1 x16 Video Card
60$
July 23, 2012 8:31:35 PM

Honestly, you won't be able to run D3 or Skyrim in "HD" (high settings I'm assuming) with this budget build man. Especially with the performance you're looking for.
m
0
l
July 23, 2012 8:37:24 PM

With that kind of budget, you're better off investing in a console. Now some will argue that you can build a gaming PC for $500. As far as I'm concerned, 600-1000 is about what something is going to cost that I would call "a gaming computer".

You're looking at spending at least $110 on a competent CPU, and at least $150 on the video card. Especially if you're purchasing in Canada, where things to cost more due to the difference between the American Dollar and the Canadian one.
m
0
l
Related resources
July 23, 2012 8:45:17 PM

CPU: Intel Pentium G850 2.9GHz Dual-Core Processor ($86.99 @ Computer Valley)
Motherboard: ASRock H61M/U3S3 Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($86.10 @ Amazon Canada)
Memory: G.Skill Value Series 4GB (1 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 Memory ($20.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Hard Drive: Hitachi 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.88 @ Canada Computers)
Video Card: Asus Radeon HD 6770 1GB Video Card ($99.88 @ Canada Computers)
Case: Cooler Master Elite 430 ATX Mid Tower Case ($38.88 @ Canada Computers)
Power Supply: Antec 450W ATX12V Power Supply ($39.96 @ Canada Computers)
Optical Drive: Sony AD-7280S-0B DVD/CD Writer ($17.99 @ Canada Computers)
Total: $450.67
(Prices include shipping and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-07-23 16:44 EDT-0400)

dunno wether the stores tax or not.
m
0
l
July 23, 2012 8:48:45 PM

dudewitbow said:
CPU: Intel Pentium G850 2.9GHz Dual-Core Processor ($86.99 @ Computer Valley)
Motherboard: ASRock H61M/U3S3 Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($86.10 @ Amazon Canada)
Memory: G.Skill Value Series 4GB (1 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 Memory ($20.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Hard Drive: Hitachi 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.88 @ Canada Computers)
Video Card: Asus Radeon HD 6770 1GB Video Card ($99.88 @ Canada Computers)
Case: Cooler Master Elite 430 ATX Mid Tower Case ($38.88 @ Canada Computers)
Power Supply: Antec 450W ATX12V Power Supply ($39.96 @ Canada Computers)
Optical Drive: Sony AD-7280S-0B DVD/CD Writer ($17.99 @ Canada Computers)
Total: $450.67
(Prices include shipping and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-07-23 16:44 EDT-0400)

dunno wether the stores tax or not.

That thing would fall flat on its face in Skyrim, especially with mods. Diablo III it might do okay, but it definitely won't max it.
m
0
l
July 23, 2012 8:49:59 PM

at this price point, you are probly better off with a Llano APU build.

the 3850/3870 Llano can game very well at 720p, up to and including Battlefield 3.

should manage most games at medium/high settings up to 1600x900 resolution.


PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: AMD A8-3870K 3.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($114.98 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: ASRock A75M-HVS Micro ATX FM1 Motherboard ($69.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Kingston HyperX 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($39.99 @ NCIX US)
Hard Drive: Western Digital RE2 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($57.75 @ Compuvest)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 6670 1GB Video Card ($68.50 @ Amazon)
Case: Rosewill R101-P-BK MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($25.50 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Antec 380W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($37.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($17.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $432.68
(Prices include shipping and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-07-23 16:49 EDT-0400)

m
0
l
July 23, 2012 8:51:08 PM

ScrewySqrl said:
at this price point, you are probly better off with a Llano APU build.

the 3850/3870 Llano can game very well at 720p, up to and including Battlefield 3.

should manage most games at medium/high settings up to 1600x900 resolution.


PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: AMD A8-3870K 3.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($114.98 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: ASRock A75M-HVS Micro ATX FM1 Motherboard ($69.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Kingston HyperX 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($39.99 @ NCIX US)
Hard Drive: Western Digital RE2 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($57.75 @ Compuvest)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 6670 1GB Video Card ($68.50 @ Amazon)
Case: Rosewill R101-P-BK MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($25.50 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Antec 380W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($37.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($17.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $432.68
(Prices include shipping and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-07-23 16:49 EDT-0400)


For skyrim that would do okay, but I'm really not comfortable with it. Definitely Skyrim is a quad core minded game due to the fact that is a badly done console port and a lot of the work that should be done by the GPU is coded to be done by the CPU.
m
0
l
July 23, 2012 9:01:12 PM

bull22 said:
Honestly, you won't be able to run D3 or Skyrim in "HD" (high settings I'm assuming) with this budget build man. Especially with the performance you're looking for.


that sucks, thanks for the response
m
0
l
July 23, 2012 9:04:33 PM

ScrewySqrl said:
at this price point, you are probly better off with a Llano APU build.

the 3850/3870 Llano can game very well at 720p, up to and including Battlefield 3.

should manage most games at medium/high settings up to 1600x900 resolution.


PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: AMD A8-3870K 3.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($114.98 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: ASRock A75M-HVS Micro ATX FM1 Motherboard ($69.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Kingston HyperX 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($39.99 @ NCIX US)
Hard Drive: Western Digital RE2 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($57.75 @ Compuvest)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 6670 1GB Video Card ($68.50 @ Amazon)
Case: Rosewill R101-P-BK MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($25.50 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Antec 380W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($37.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($17.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $432.68
(Prices include shipping and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-07-23 16:49 EDT-0400)



thanks for the suggestion, will that be able to run must games in 720p?
m
0
l
July 23, 2012 9:10:53 PM

nekulturny said:
For skyrim that would do okay, but I'm really not comfortable with it. Definitely Skyrim is a quad core minded game due to the fact that is a badly done console port and a lot of the work that should be done by the GPU is coded to be done by the CPU.



here's some videos of several games on an A8, just the onboard graphics:. with teh 6670, it'll be better

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52Nj2QSux1A

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIX0J5HHL3s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPqYlrBE8J4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yz-m5pihZOE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTE5CndQoSk

and one with a A8 + 6670

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HgJ1zyvEMiU&
m
0
l
July 23, 2012 9:12:19 PM

should i stick with Llano APU build, im willing to order those parts now
m
0
l
July 23, 2012 9:18:32 PM

take a look at the videos, and see if that looks acceptable to you
m
0
l
July 23, 2012 9:29:49 PM

ScrewySqrl said:
take a look at the videos, and see if that looks acceptable to you


the graphics look pretty beast in my perspective. But is better than ps3/xbox graphics ??
i was reading some fourms and i was wondering if i switch the processor to intel i3 and just buy cheaper parts to fit my budget?

m
0
l
July 23, 2012 9:32:50 PM

salman360 said:
the graphics look pretty beast in my perspective. But is better than ps3/xbox graphics ??
i was reading some fourms and i was wondering if i switch the processor to intel i3 and just buy cheaper parts to fit my budget?



to beat xbox/ps3 level graphics, your card has to beat the game at a medium resolution past 30 fps(the average cap of performance on consoles), which can be moderately done well.
m
0
l
July 23, 2012 10:02:12 PM

Consoles actually aren't that difficult to "outgame", Gamer PCs cost more which is why consoles dictate the market, but but a proper gaming PC (In the $1000 range) easily outguns a console any day in terms of game quality and performance.
m
0
l
July 23, 2012 10:38:45 PM

the Llano build I posted will be comparable in capability to a Playstation 4, due out next year. So about 6 times more powerful.

PS3 manages 30 FPS at 720p -- not 1080p for most games.
m
0
l
!