MVP Kelly Help with XP Startup Sound

XP Startup/shutdown sound has disappeared. It works fine when switching
users though. I tried the fixes in TweakUI and per your site and MS and the
correct sounds are set and test OK in the Sounds Module - now I'm stumped.
All other sounds are OK I think except when I go to delete Newsgroup entries
en masse at the end of the day...the "ding" doesn't sound when it asks me
yes or no to delete.
I even tried a repair installation of XP!!
Help!

--
Peter
Toronto, Canada

    Hi Peter,

    Without knowing more, run line 6.

    Fix the Ding.wav File (Line 6)

    To use the Regedit: Save the REG File to your hard disk. Double click it
    and answer yes to the import prompt. REG files can be viewed in Notepad by
    right clicking on the file and selecting Edit.

    --
    In memory of our dear friend, MVP Alex Nichol: http://www.dts-l.org/

    All the Best,
    Kelly (MS-MVP)

    Troubleshooting Windows XP
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

    "Peter" <r2d2 AT cesmail DOT net (adjust accordingly)> wrote in message
    > XP Startup/shutdown sound has disappeared. It works fine when switching
    > users though. I tried the fixes in TweakUI and per your site and MS and
    > the correct sounds are set and test OK in the Sounds Module - now I'm
    > stumped.
    > All other sounds are OK I think except when I go to delete Newsgroup
    > entries en masse at the end of the day...the "ding" doesn't sound when it
    > asks me yes or no to delete.
    > I even tried a repair installation of XP!!
    > Help!
    >
    > --
    > Peter
    > Toronto, Canada
    > XP Home SP2
    > P4 dual HT @ 3.0ghz, 1.0gb RAM, 160gb HD

    Thanks Kelly. It turned out there was one fix on your site that I hadn't
    tried...the HKEY_USERS one....it did the trick.
    I discovered that the first S-1-5-21 needed defaulting. A program WxEx had
    installed itself when I did an ill-judged installation of Netscape a while
    back....it's gone now.
    Thanks, and thanks for having such a wonderful web site!

    --
    > Hi Peter,
    >
    > Without knowing more, run line 6.
    >
    > Fix the Ding.wav File (Line 6)
    >
    > To use the Regedit: Save the REG File to your hard disk. Double click it
    > and answer yes to the import prompt. REG files can be viewed in Notepad by
    > right clicking on the file and selecting Edit.
    >

    > --
    > In memory of our dear friend, MVP Alex Nichol: http://www.dts-l.org/
    >
    > All the Best,
    > Kelly (MS-MVP)
    >
    > Troubleshooting Windows XP
    > http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com
    >

    > "Peter" <r2d2 AT cesmail DOT net (adjust accordingly)> wrote in message
    >> XP Startup/shutdown sound has disappeared. It works fine when switching
    >> users though. I tried the fixes in TweakUI and per your site and MS and
    >> the correct sounds are set and test OK in the Sounds Module - now I'm
    >> stumped.
    >> All other sounds are OK I think except when I go to delete Newsgroup
    >> entries en masse at the end of the day...the "ding" doesn't sound when it
    >> asks me yes or no to delete.
    >> I even tried a repair installation of XP!!
    >> Help!
    >>
    >> --
    >> Peter
    >> Toronto, Canada
    >> XP Home SP2
    >> P4 dual HT @ 3.0ghz, 1.0gb RAM, 160gb HD

    Most welcome, Peter on both accounts. And great....glad to hear all is
    well. That one is my favorite check point. Glad all is well and thank you
    for the feedback. :o)

    --

    > Thanks Kelly. It turned out there was one fix on your site that I hadn't
    > tried...the HKEY_USERS one....it did the trick.
    > I discovered that the first S-1-5-21 needed defaulting. A program WxEx
    > had installed itself when I did an ill-judged installation of Netscape a
    > while back....it's gone now.
    > Thanks, and thanks for having such a wonderful web site!
    >
    > --
    > Peter
    > Toronto, Canada
    > XP Home SP2
    > P4 dual HT @ 3.0ghz, 1.0gb RAM, 160gb HD
    >> Hi Peter,
    >>
    >> Without knowing more, run line 6.
    >>
    >> Fix the Ding.wav File (Line 6)
    >>
    >> To use the Regedit: Save the REG File to your hard disk. Double click it
    >> and answer yes to the import prompt. REG files can be viewed in Notepad
    >> by right clicking on the file and selecting Edit.
    >>

    >> --
    >> In memory of our dear friend, MVP Alex Nichol: http://www.dts-l.org/
    >>
    >> All the Best,
    >> Kelly (MS-MVP)
    >>
    >> Troubleshooting Windows XP
    >> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com
    >>

    >> "Peter" <r2d2 AT cesmail DOT net (adjust accordingly)> wrote in message
    >>> XP Startup/shutdown sound has disappeared. It works fine when switching
    >>> users though. I tried the fixes in TweakUI and per your site and MS and
    >>> the correct sounds are set and test OK in the Sounds Module - now I'm
    >>> stumped.
    >>> All other sounds are OK I think except when I go to delete Newsgroup
    >>> entries en masse at the end of the day...the "ding" doesn't sound when
    >>> it asks me yes or no to delete.
    >>> I even tried a repair installation of XP!!
    >>> Help!
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Peter
    >>> Toronto, Canada