Eyefinity set up?

SkyDragon8

Honorable
Feb 21, 2012
Hi All,

First let me start with my current build.

MB: Asus P8Z68-V LX
CPU: i5 2500k
Cooler: Hyper 212+
PSU: Cooler Master Elite 430
Mem: 16GB DDR3

Currently using the dual video output on mobo. A DVI and D-Sub. Everything is set defult, so no overclocking YET. :lol:

I want to set up Eyefinity with 3 monitors. All different brands, all 20", but the inputs are 2 have DVI, and one have D-Sub only.

Now, my knownledge of PC's is a beginner builder, but as to Graghics, I'm a total newbie.. I know enough to be a danger to my PC, which is not good.

In the above set up, can I just add another graphics card that has a DVI onto my mobo, and continue to use the onboard vdieo to get the 3 monitor Eyefinity set up or do I need to buy a graphic's card that supports the Eyefinity set up?? If I have to buy one, I'm thinkg of the Sapphire Flex HD 6450 which has all the adaptors that i would need and my PSU would support it.

This set up will be use for watching youtube, suffing the net, and worksheets at the same time. So, I do not need super v-cards.

I would prefer to spend $10 rather $60 if you know what I mean. :D

AdioKIP

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2008
It depends on what your goal is. If you just want to use 3 monitors independently than you can add in pretty much any graphics card and still use your onboard. If you want actual EyeFinity for gaming where the 3 monitors act as one screen than all 3 monitors must be connected to the same video card so you wont be able to use your onboard. In this case you'd need a card that supports EyeFinity. The Sapphire Flex would meet your needs, or any other ATI card combined with an active displayport adapter, and a vga to dvi for your setup.

randomkid

Distinguished

The 6450 will do. I am a sapphire flex user myself. Because you have 2 DVI monitors & 1 VGA monitor, your setup will be like this:

DVI Monitor 1. DVI -> DVI ( direct connection via DVI cable )
DVI Monitor 2. HDMI -> DVI Adaptor -> DVI ( adaptor included in sapphire flex package )
VGA Monitor DVI -> DVI to VGA Adaptor ( adaptor included in sapphire flex package )

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102960

SkyDragon8

Honorable
Feb 21, 2012

Now I see what you mean, so if I want just to use 3 monitor, I can actually use all 3 onboard graphics.. DVI, VGA, and an HDMI???

Well, I would need an adaptor for the onboard HDMI -> DVI (3 monitor). This would give me 3 desktop.. Can I spend it across all 3 then?? or is that consider true Eyefinity?? righ now, I have the 2 and can spend the task bar across the bottom if I wanted..

but this pretty much answers my question.. you guys are truely the expects.. Thanks again..

SkyDragon8

Honorable
Feb 21, 2012

oh man, this is so detail, now I can decide which way I want to go. Thanks..

AdioKIP

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2008

You might not be able to use all 3 onboard, this will depend on the motherboard I believe. To find out, yes you would need an adapter as you stated. Out of all the options you listed, the Sapphire Flex gives you the most flexibility. Keep in mind though that even though it would be capable of EyeFinity, a 6450 will have NOWHERE near the power you need to run most games efficiently in EyeFinity resoutions. For running independent screens though, it would work well as an add in card. Spanning the taskbar across multiple screens isnt the same as EyeFinity. EyeFinity combines the 3 screens so the PC thinks it has 1 large screen. For 1080p this means going from 1920x1080 (1 screen) to 5760x1080 (3 screens but pc treats it as 1).

SkyDragon8

Honorable
Feb 21, 2012

Thanks for clearning that up for me.. This really help me make up my mind what I want to do..

I think I will try to use the 3 onboard Video output first to see if that works.

If not, then I will buy a $5 V-card that has a DVI from Microcenter and call it a day.

I don't play games at all, so why spend the money if I don't have too.. Thanks for the informitive information.. You guys are the best.

THANKS AGAIN EVERYONE!!!