PieGuY

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2002
I just built myself a new machine using a Thermaltake Tsunami dream case, or whatever they call the things... anyways, it runs pretty cool especially because I don't O/C, but the thing is LOUD with the 2 intake and 1 exhaust fans. I am thinking about getting a fan controller, but I never have used one before and have a couple of questions:

This case has a front door that covers the drive bays, are there fan controllers that are made low-profile to fit in cases like this?

How can I tell if my fans will be able to be used with a controller? They have the standard power plug like the kind that hooks up to your HDD or CD-ROM as well as a little 3 pin plug, although I belive there is only one wire running to this plug.

Thanks!

You can wire the fans up to be on 7 volts instead of 12, this would slow them down and quiet the case a little without having to purchase the fan controller.

However to answer your questions, the fan controllers are universal and work with any fan. Second, most of the fan controllers have large knobs on them that may or may not clear your door. But there are other kinds, I have seen some that have switchs (high, med, low), and even some with digital readouts with buttons to increase and decrease fan speed, both these kinds should clear the door.

My Desktop: <A HREF="http://Mr5oh.tripod.com/pc.html" target="_new">http://Mr5oh.tripod.com/pc.html</A>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Fan controllers waste off the extra voltage as heat, I'd just get some 3 to 4-pin adapters and rewire them to run 7v by placing the ground wire on the 5v line.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

krazynutz

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2003
how does a fan controller waste off the extra voltage as heat? Where, exactly, does the heat come from? I have a 4-fan controller in a 3.5" bay, and I haven't noticed any temps going up in my case. Just curious, but do fan controllers create a "whirring" sound in fans when it lowers the voltage/rpms?

<font color=blue>This guy here is <i><b>dead!</b></i></font color=blue>
<font color=red>Cross him <i><b>off</b></i> then.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Most fan controllers are variable resistors. Resistors add resistance to a circuit to lower the voltage. Based on the simple rule Volts=AmpsxOhms, if you raise ohms (by resistor) either ampherage or voltage must drop. Resistors convert energy to heat.

Now, fans are low amperage so that the total heat disappated by the resistor is small, but you're still wasting power from your power supply. And I don't like the idea of wasting energy.

Some "more advanced" fan controllers use electronic controlls rather than resistance, to turn the fan on and off rapidly and prevent it from reaching full speed. That's what causes the noises noted in some reviews.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

krazynutz

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2003
Thanks Crash

<font color=blue>This guy here is <i><b>dead!</b></i></font color=blue>
<font color=red>Cross him <i><b>off</b></i> then.