How to force a driver to load in safe mode ?

A security application works by loading a driver when Win XP Pro SP2
loads, in 'normal mode'. IF Windows is started in 'safe mode' the
driver is not loaded, therefore, the security application is
by-passed.. However, there exists a way to force the driver to load
in 'safe mode' by adding some registry keys/values.

Can anyone guide me as to how to accomplish such tasks? (What registry
keys/values need to be inserted ?)

Thanks in advance.

Kugar
13 answers Last reply
More about force driver load safe mode

    If the url is still valid,you'd find the info at:
    http://www.microsoft.com/WINDOWSXP/home/using/productdoc/en/cmd.asp

    "Admin" wrote:

    > A security application works by loading a driver when Win XP Pro SP2
    > loads, in 'normal mode'. IF Windows is started in 'safe mode' the
    > driver is not loaded, therefore, the security application is
    > by-passed.. However, there exists a way to force the driver to load
    > in 'safe mode' by adding some registry keys/values.
    >
    > Can anyone guide me as to how to accomplish such tasks? (What registry
    > keys/values need to be inserted ?)
    >
    > Thanks in advance.
    >
    > Kugar

    Which program?

    --
    In memory of our dear friend, MVP Alex Nichol: http://www.dts-l.org/

    All the Best,
    Kelly (MS-MVP)

    Troubleshooting Windows XP
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

    On Wed, 13 Apr 2005 01:54:09 -0500, "Kelly" <kelly@mvps.org> wrote:

    >Which program?

    FolderGuard

    In news:r94p515bvsdeukpcm5kcq54crohcon8fko@4ax.com,
    Admin <Net*man@yahoo.com> had this to say:

    > A security application works by loading a driver when Win XP Pro SP2
    > loads, in 'normal mode'. IF Windows is started in 'safe mode' the
    > driver is not loaded, therefore, the security application is
    > by-passed.. However, there exists a way to force the driver to load
    > in 'safe mode' by adding some registry keys/values.
    >
    > Can anyone guide me as to how to accomplish such tasks? (What registry
    > keys/values need to be inserted ?)
    >
    > Thanks in advance.
    >
    > Kugar

    I don't think you can. Safe mode is just that, safe mode without the drivers
    being loaded so that the operating system can be worked on or debugged.
    Often (say to load your AV application) you can load it manually once you're
    in safe mode but I don't think you can force an application to load during
    safe mode if it's not something required by the OS. If it was allowed then
    Norton would be even more trouble to uninstall. <g>

    Galen

    The area of the registry is HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SafeBoot.
    One branch is sans network support and the other has network support.

    However, it would be ill advised to attempt to force a 3rd party service to
    start in safe mode. In this specific instances there be dependant services
    that aren't started as well as other issues. Your best bet is to take it up
    with the vendor to supply the support rather than attempting to hack your
    way into it.

    --
    Walter Clayton
    http://www.dts-l.org

    "Admin" <Net*man@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >A security application works by loading a driver when Win XP Pro SP2
    > loads, in 'normal mode'. IF Windows is started in 'safe mode' the
    > driver is not loaded, therefore, the security application is
    > by-passed.. However, there exists a way to force the driver to load
    > in 'safe mode' by adding some registry keys/values.
    >
    > Can anyone guide me as to how to accomplish such tasks? (What registry
    > keys/values need to be inserted ?)
    >
    > Thanks in advance.
    >
    > Kugar

    On Wed, 13 Apr 2005 01:54:09 -0500, "Kelly" <kelly@mvps.org> wrote:

    Hi Kelly,

    You asked as to what program I was talking about, I posted a reply but
    you did not post any follow up, in fact I do not have a solution to
    the problem that I am looking to solve.

    The ability to force loading of a driver in 'safe mode is a property
    of the OS and not that of a particular application, that is the reason
    I posted the question in this NG.

    The developer of this application indicates that it has been
    thoroughly tested and that the application is fully functional in
    'safe mode but he would not care to give any details except that some
    registry keys/values need to be added.

    The solution applicable to this problem would potentially be a
    solution for many other situations completely unrelated to this
    application as such.

    Please advise,

    Thanks

    Kugar

    Will look more into this for you, Kugar.

    --

    > On Wed, 13 Apr 2005 01:54:09 -0500, "Kelly" <kelly@mvps.org> wrote:
    >
    > Hi Kelly,
    >
    > You asked as to what program I was talking about, I posted a reply but
    > you did not post any follow up, in fact I do not have a solution to
    > the problem that I am looking to solve.
    >
    > The ability to force loading of a driver in 'safe mode is a property
    > of the OS and not that of a particular application, that is the reason
    > I posted the question in this NG.
    >
    > The developer of this application indicates that it has been
    > thoroughly tested and that the application is fully functional in
    > 'safe mode but he would not care to give any details except that some
    > registry keys/values need to be added.
    >
    > The solution applicable to this problem would potentially be a
    > solution for many other situations completely unrelated to this
    > application as such.
    >
    > Please advise,
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Kugar

    Great to see you here, Walter. :o)

    --

    "Walter Clayton" <w-claytonNO@SPmvps.AMorg> wrote in message
    > The area of the registry is
    > HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SafeBoot. One branch is sans network
    > support and the other has network support.
    >
    > However, it would be ill advised to attempt to force a 3rd party service
    > to start in safe mode. In this specific instances there be dependant
    > services that aren't started as well as other issues. Your best bet is to
    > take it up with the vendor to supply the support rather than attempting to
    > hack your way into it.
    >
    > --
    > Walter Clayton
    > Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced.
    > http://www.dts-l.org
    >

    > "Admin" <Net*man@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >>A security application works by loading a driver when Win XP Pro SP2
    >> loads, in 'normal mode'. IF Windows is started in 'safe mode' the
    >> driver is not loaded, therefore, the security application is
    >> by-passed.. However, there exists a way to force the driver to load
    >> in 'safe mode' by adding some registry keys/values.
    >>
    >> Can anyone guide me as to how to accomplish such tasks? (What registry
    >> keys/values need to be inserted ?)
    >>
    >> Thanks in advance.
    >>
    >> Kugar

    On Fri, 15 Apr 2005 13:47:18 -0400, "Walter Clayton"
    <w-claytonNO@SPmvps.AMorg> wrote:

    >The area of the registry is HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SafeBoot.
    >One branch is sans network support and the other has network support.
    >
    >However, it would be ill advised to attempt to force a 3rd party service to
    >start in safe mode. In this specific instances there be dependant services
    >that aren't started as well as other issues. Your best bet is to take it up
    >with the vendor to supply the support rather than attempting to hack your
    >way into it.

    You are right, but as I indicated in a previous post, the vendor says
    the application is thorougly tested under safemode as to be able to
    run without causing any problem but the vendor would not care to say
    anymore than it needs manual addition of some registry entries to make
    the driver load in safemode.

    Kugar
  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    > On Fri, 15 Apr 2005 13:47:18 -0400, "Walter Clayton"
    > <w-claytonNO@SPmvps.AMorg> wrote:
    >
    >>The area of the registry is
    >>HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SafeBoot.
    >>One branch is sans network support and the other has network support.
    >>
    >>However, it would be ill advised to attempt to force a 3rd party service
    >>start in safe mode. In this specific instances there be dependant services
    >>that aren't started as well as other issues. Your best bet is to take it
    >>up
    >>with the vendor to supply the support rather than attempting to hack your
    >>way into it.
    >

    > You are right, but as I indicated in a previous post, the vendor says
    > the application is thorougly tested under safemode as to be able to
    > run without causing any problem but the vendor would not care to say
    > anymore than it needs manual addition of some registry entries to make
    > the driver load in safemode.
    >
    > Kugar

    ....and they fail to provide said registry entries?
    If they have, in fact, tested it in safe mode without ill effects, then I
    have to question why they are reticent to post the registry entries on their
    web site, or send them to you via e-mail. If they know what the requirements
    are and they continue to fail to supply the 'hack', I'd have to really and
    truly question their claims with regard safe mode. Hacking things blindly by
    yourself is just as likely to hose safe mode which is not a good thing.

    I'm tempted to say to tell them to provide the registry files or a refund,
    their choice.

    --
    Walter Clayton
  11. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    Most interesting and ditto on Walter's Q's.

    --

    > "Admin" <Net*man@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >> On Fri, 15 Apr 2005 13:47:18 -0400, "Walter Clayton"
    >> <w-claytonNO@SPmvps.AMorg> wrote:
    >>
    >>>The area of the registry is
    >>>HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SafeBoot.
    >>>One branch is sans network support and the other has network support.
    >>>
    >>>However, it would be ill advised to attempt to force a 3rd party service
    >>>start in safe mode. In this specific instances there be dependant
    >>>services
    >>>that aren't started as well as other issues. Your best bet is to take it
    >>>up
    >>>with the vendor to supply the support rather than attempting to hack your
    >>>way into it.
    >>

    >> You are right, but as I indicated in a previous post, the vendor says
    >> the application is thorougly tested under safemode as to be able to
    >> run without causing any problem but the vendor would not care to say
    >> anymore than it needs manual addition of some registry entries to make
    >> the driver load in safemode.
    >>
    >> Kugar
    >
    > ...and they fail to provide said registry entries?
    > If they have, in fact, tested it in safe mode without ill effects, then I
    > have to question why they are reticent to post the registry entries on
    > their web site, or send them to you via e-mail. If they know what the
    > requirements are and they continue to fail to supply the 'hack', I'd have
    > to really and truly question their claims with regard safe mode. Hacking
    > things blindly by yourself is just as likely to hose safe mode which is
    > not a good thing.
    >
    > I'm tempted to say to tell them to provide the registry files or a refund,
    > their choice.
    >
    > --
    > Walter Clayton
    > Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced.

  12. Necrobump. Pretty sure he got his issue resolved back in 2005.

Safe Mode Security Configuration Drivers Windows XP