Users manual for wd6400 external drive

frezza

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2012

Thanks for the help. Do you know if you can unzip the files on the wd6400 and gain access to them? Or should I take the lost and buy another back up drive. Thanks again.

You should use whatever program you used to zip them with to unzip them. I didn't mean for you to abandon your data. I was just stating that the user manual most likely will not have instructions on getting your backups back. is the 6400 one of those external drives that has the one touch backups or something?

frezza

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2012

Thanks again for helping. Here is the problem. I lost my computer. Purchased a new one. The files from the old computer backup automatically. I would get a message saying it was time to back-up files. So I justed clicked and let it go. I don't know how they did it. Im not that smart with computers. As long as it worked I was happy. So I'm lost now. Thanks for your help and any advise you can share. Gene

That's a bummer. The thing is 99% of the time, you need the same software that created the backup to restore the backup. If you do not know the name of the backup software you're most likely out of luck.

If this is one of those external drives that came with it's own backup software, you should probably contact WD and see if they can offer any assistance. It probably wouldn't hurt to contact them anyhow.