Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Rosewill stallion psu plugged in but not turning on.

Last response: in Components
December 4, 2012 11:36:47 PM

I have just put together my first computer and my psu will not come on, i have it all plugged in and hooked up but i only have 3 actual things plugged into the mother board, the 20+4 connecter, 8 pin atx connector, and the pci-express connecter, is there anything that i have missed?
a b ) Power supply
December 4, 2012 11:44:52 PM

If the power button does not respond chances are you got the front panel connectors wrong. What's your motherboard? The manual has a specific way on how to hook up the front panel connectors.
Score
December 4, 2012 11:48:34 PM

it is an msi r70a-g46 motherboard, i really hope that is all it is though.
Score
Related resources
a c 132 ) Power supply
December 4, 2012 11:49:13 PM

mydragon15 said:
I have just put together my first computer and my psu will not come on, i have it all plugged in and hooked up but i only have 3 actual things plugged into the mother board, the 20+4 connecter, 8 pin atx connector, and the pci-express connecter, is there anything that i have missed?

I hope I am misunderstanding this, you have a PCIe plugged into the motherboard? Or is it just plugged in, as into a graphics card? What motherboard?

Start at the beginning, 1) power plugged into wall, 2) power plugged into back of PSU, 3) Current input switch properly set for your area, 4) Unit turned on (I position) 5) arc power on pins at the front panel header... nothing?
Score
a b ) Power supply
December 4, 2012 11:50:48 PM

mydragon15 said:
it is an msi r70a-g46 motherboard, i really hope that is all it is though.

Not finding anything with that motherboard model....sure the "r" is not a number indicating the chipset? Like 870a-g46 or 970a-g46?
Score
December 4, 2012 11:53:00 PM

that was supposed to be a 9 yes
@c12 no the lci-express is in the graphics card the only things in the motherboard are the 20+4 and the 8 pin and nothing else is in the motherboard.
just hoping its not dead
Score
a b ) Power supply
December 4, 2012 11:59:00 PM

Ok based on the online manual I downloaded, the section 1-25 discusses the way to install the front panel connectors with a diagram. Check that out and see if you can get it to work.
Score
December 5, 2012 12:02:23 AM

even though these cords are connected to the motherboard and not the power supply, would the plugins for the on/off button and reset switch make a difference if they were put in wrong?
Score

Best solution

a b ) Power supply
December 5, 2012 12:03:55 AM

mydragon15 said:
even though these cords are connected to the motherboard and not the power supply, would the plugins for the on/off button and reset switch make a difference if they were put in wrong?

Yes if the front panel connector is install incorrectly for the Power connectors then the power button will not work which can cause the problem your having right now. Also have you followed what C12friedman has stated? It's a good checklist to do prior to front panel connectors.

Edit: Here is another checklist
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-perform-ste...
December 5, 2012 12:07:08 AM

can you explain the last one of c12's checklist i don't exactly understand it.
Score
a b ) Power supply
December 5, 2012 12:13:53 AM

Well I'll do my best to sum it up, hopefully I interpreted it right
1&2) Check to see if the Power cord is connected to the power supply. This means there should be a black wire (usually black) that is connected on the back of the power supply to your wall outlet.
3) I believe he is referring to the red switch on the back of the power supply that has 110v and 230V. I believe 110 is for North America while 230 is for Europe?
4) Was the switch on the power supply (located on the back) that has an I/O, make sure I is on.
5) I think he was referring to the front panel connectors, perhaps the PowerSW cable...

Either way best if he comes and tells you since he did write it :lol: 
I did my best to interpret it and hope I got most of it right...
Score
a c 132 ) Power supply
December 5, 2012 12:28:30 AM

I forgot one though too. Make sure all connectors are firmly seated.
5 explained: With the front panel connectors removed, put a screwdriver across the 2 pwr pins momentarily on the motherboard front panel header (isolate the issue from the power on button)
Score
December 5, 2012 12:33:03 AM

ok so, my psu say 115 on the red part i have it plugged into a 6 plug extension if that makes any difference. i also had the 0n/off cables in the wrong position, forgot a screw on the motherboard, ram was in the wrong slots (and not in all the way) plus i have to plugs from the front and one says hd audio so i plugged it into the jaud1 slot while the other seems to not have a place to plug it into.
Score
December 5, 2012 12:37:43 AM

ok this time i fixed all that and it came the power supply just flashed blue once and went off again... i didn't fry it did I?
Score
December 5, 2012 12:38:27 AM

even the gpu fan moves a little but then it all stops again
Score
a b ) Power supply
December 5, 2012 12:50:35 AM

mydragon15 said:
even the gpu fan moves a little but then it all stops again

Want to state your entire build? Perhaps not sufficient wattage...
Score
December 5, 2012 12:56:13 AM

good new, it now turns on and everything seems to run, but i do not have anything on screen. now i don't have a hard drive hooked up yet and i need to know if that is the reason why nothing appears on the screen.

my entire build in
a rosewill challenger case
msi 970a-g46 motherboard
phenom ii x4 965 black edition cpu
hd 7770 gpu
rosweill stallion 500 watt psu
4 gb g.skill ram
and that is it.
Score
a b ) Power supply
December 5, 2012 1:01:13 AM

I don't think the stallions were good power supplies..cant find any reviews on them. I'll contact this person on the forum who runs a website about power supplies and runs this lemon list if its okay.

Anyways for that build 400 watts should be enough and so it should turn on. Have you made sure the DVI/VGA connector is hooked from the video card to the monitor? Also make sure your PCI-E connector is connected into the video card. Lastly make sure the HD 7770 is fully inserted in to the slot.

OR did you mean the computer boots but after the bios splashscreen there is nothing or maybe a blinking underscore? I got that on my computer when I have no windows installed so without the hard drive I believe a blank screen should be the result.
Score
December 5, 2012 1:03:52 AM

no it doesn't show anything at all, my computer screen stays constantly black once plugged into the gpu, i will check to see if it is plugged in all the way as i did have problems putting it it for my first time.
also i have a dvi to vga adapter right now but could run and hook it up on a tv with an hdmi adapter if that could be the problem. right now i am switching out my ram and seeing if they in the right slots first.
Score
December 5, 2012 1:36:12 AM

good new it starts up and says (the ram has been changed go to bios to set it up) or something like that
Score
a b ) Power supply
December 5, 2012 1:39:41 AM

mydragon15 said:
good new it starts up and says (the ram has been changed go to bios to set it up) or something like that

So have you set up the ram settings in the bios or something? Nice to see we got this far from a computer that would not turn on to a computer that is almost ready to be used for whatever you bought it for :) 
Score
December 5, 2012 1:40:41 AM

yes thank you, you were alot of help :) .
Score
December 5, 2012 1:40:50 AM

Best answer selected by mydragon15.
Score
a b ) Power supply
December 5, 2012 1:42:05 AM

mydragon15 said:
yes thank you, you were alot of help :) .

Not just me my friend, but also c12friedman ;) 
Score
December 5, 2012 1:51:39 AM

I was just thinking about him too lol.
thank you c12friedman :) .

my hard drive gets here saturday and then all i have to do is put windows on it and i'm set :)  i can't wait this is my first computer that isn't 8 years old or free.
Score
a b ) Power supply
December 5, 2012 1:58:11 AM

mydragon15 said:
I was just thinking about him too lol.
thank you c12friedman :) .

my hard drive gets here saturday and then all i have to do is put windows on it and i'm set :)  i can't wait this is my first computer that isn't 8 years old or free.

I take it your going to do some gaming? For me with my own build which consists of the following:
AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition
Asus M5A78L-M LX PLUS
Crucual Ballistix Sport Series 2x4 gb DDR3 1333mhz Ram
Asus HD 7770
Corsair CX-430
And some Hitachi Deskstar Hard drive that's about 750 gb I pulled out my old HP computer

I game at 1600x900 and I can play most games at high or ultra settings with over 30 fps. As you can see our GPU is essentially the same, and our processors are quite similar :lol: 
Score
December 5, 2012 2:42:05 AM

haha you are correct, i will be using my 32" 720p tv for gaming so i'm not to worried about how well it runs the games i will be playing :) . can't wait though because i got far cry 3 with thte graphics card and the game is getting astonishingly good reviews
Score
a b ) Power supply
December 5, 2012 3:05:28 AM

mydragon15 said:
haha you are correct, i will be using my 32" 720p tv for gaming so i'm not to worried about how well it runs the games i will be playing :) . can't wait though because i got far cry 3 with thte graphics card and the game is getting astonishingly good reviews

You ever try Skyrim? It's a real good game, I also heard a new DLC was released today for Skyrim on the Xbox platform. Too bad there is that exclusivity contract Microsoft and Bethseda have, PC gamers have to wait at least 30 days for it...
Regardless of that your build should run Skyrim just as well as mine in 720p gaming.
Score
December 5, 2012 3:10:01 AM

i'm one of those unfortunate souls who have the game on ps3 (pre-ordered too) and have been burnt out by glitches lol. I will be buying most of my games after christmas as i am down to no money after buying all the computer parts. I was looking at skyrim but i will probably start with morrowind and the graphics overhaul mod just for the heck of it.
Score
a b ) Power supply
December 5, 2012 3:13:59 AM

mydragon15 said:
i'm one of those unfortunate souls who have the game on ps3 (pre-ordered too) and have been burnt out by glitches lol. I will be buying most of my games after christmas as i am down to no money after buying all the computer parts. I was looking at skyrim but i will probably start with morrowind and the graphics overhaul mod just for the heck of it.

Ah, a PS3 user. I feel sorry for you guys, Bethseda kind of screwed you guys over... :( 
Did you get Dawnguard released for Skyrim yet or they still working on the compatibility issues? Kind of unfair since PC users and Xbox 360 users got it a long time ago (if I recall correctly all within the summer break). And now the new DLC Dragonborn comes just in time for my Christmas Break, it's like they release it right when students get their seasonal breaks. Wouldn't be surprised if they do one for spring break or March break.
Score
December 5, 2012 3:18:40 AM

yea the only one that will be for ps3 will be dragon born (and thats still a rumor)
i'm actually thinking of selling my ps3 i haven't used it in months and it has been collecting dust. i have an xbox 360 too and its been gaining all my attention lately with bf3 and minecraft.
but now that i have a computer i have no real reason to keep the ps3 as the only games that i want to play and are exclusive are on the xbox
Score
!