Sign in with
Your question

PC reboots while gaming with a Asus gtx 670

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 31, 2012 3:32:07 PM

Hi all

So Ive just bought a completely new rig with Win7 and everything at stock settings, no overclocking and a great PSU also. The problem is that, I get random reboots while I game. This has happened in both Diablo 3 and BF3. It can be from anywhere when i start the game to 30 minutes before the PC reboots. The temps in the pc are great, havent seen it reacg 60c yet.. My PSU is a Corsair 750 watts and is also ok. So the problem gotta be my 670 gtx. Do any of you know the same problem? And is there maybe a possible fix? I waite a long time to play on my new rig, and now it just reboots everytime I game. Is it a faulty card or a driver issue? Hope you can help! Regards Bjorn
May 31, 2012 3:43:00 PM

Well, you might get great components, but they are not 100% fail safe.

Your problem doesn't seem to be in an overheating component, since the thermal protection jumps right away and not within 30 minutes of a game session (I have an OC'ed Phenom II, so I've tested the overheating scenario a lot).

My advice would be to check RAM voltages and then the PSU itself. RAM voltages usually tend to go unnoticed, but they're very important. And the amount of power the PSU gives in the 12v lane as well. The full "750W" label doesn't tell the whole story (as usual with marketing stickers).

Cheers!
m
l
Related resources
May 31, 2012 7:53:45 PM

Sunius said:
Could you post your full specs?

Could you try running FurMark burn in test for around 1 hour and tell us how it goes?
http://www.ozone3d.net/benchmarks/fur/

Yeah sure mate. The CPU is a i7 2700k, Motherboard is a GIGABYTE Z77X-D3H (PCI-E 3.0, USB3.0, SATA6 Gbs), Then Ive got 16 DDR3 1600MHZ KINGSTON HYPER-X and a Corsair 750w (80+) PSU. My case is an Antek 900 with plenty of fans for my stock setup.

I will try to run the benchmark asap, but cant be today unfortunately.
m
l
May 31, 2012 7:56:50 PM

Yuka said:
Well, you might get great components, but they are not 100% fail safe.

Your problem doesn't seem to be in an overheating component, since the thermal protection jumps right away and not within 30 minutes of a game session (I have an OC'ed Phenom II, so I've tested the overheating scenario a lot).

My advice would be to check RAM voltages and then the PSU itself. RAM voltages usually tend to go unnoticed, but they're very important. And the amount of power the PSU gives in the 12v lane as well. The full "750W" label doesn't tell the whole story (as usual with marketing stickers).

Cheers!

Thanks for the input. RAM and PSU should be fine, the guy I bought it from have tested both RAM and PSU. But maybe not good enough... You dont think it could be the GPU that is the problem?
m
l
May 31, 2012 8:13:51 PM

Its the power supply Corsair is junk! Get yourself a new power supply which is in Toms list!
m
l
May 31, 2012 8:20:27 PM

You PC could be restarting because Windows encountered a BSOD or it could reboot because of hardware problems. Either way Windows should record something. Go into Advanced System settings and then Startup and Recovery. Under system failure uncheck automatically restart. You can also check the System event log and see what was recorded during the previous blue screen. I have that same motherboard paired with an I5 3570 and an Nvidia 670 card and don't have any problems in Diablo III. Good luck
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
May 31, 2012 8:45:39 PM

lovescomputers said:
Its the power supply Corsair is junk! Get yourself a new power supply which is in Toms list!

What are you talking about? Corsair makes one of the best power supplies in the world!
m
l
May 31, 2012 8:53:31 PM

bjornjensen said:
Thanks for the input. RAM and PSU should be fine, the guy I bought it from have tested both RAM and PSU. But maybe not good enough... You dont think it could be the GPU that is the problem?

It's weird for a windows restart when the video card fails... It's usually just a system going "dark", but still turned on or the usual "the driver has stopped working".

Restarts are usually due to power related problems. Either at some point, one component needed more power than what the PSU can give or there is a certain component that has an electrical (circuit) problem, but inside the MoBo or CPU itself.

For example, regular components attached (PCI or external) have problems being recognized when they stop working correctly and Windows gives a "driver related issue". In this case, it's a restart, so it really makes me believe it's a power related issue.

If you can get another MoBo or PSU, give it a try.

Cheers!
m
l
!