Sign in with
Your question
Solved

2.1 Gaming System

Last response: in Systems
July 23, 2012 10:37:29 PM

I just finished building my first pc and now I need some sound. I am looking for a 2.1 that will be used strictly for gaming. I'm not looking for a home audio system for music as this is just my office not my living room but I am looking for something that is quality, good sounding and not junk. I had read I should avoid Logitech. Do I need a sound card or will the built in be fine. Any suggestions?

More about : gaming system

a b B Homebuilt system
a b 4 Gaming
July 24, 2012 2:57:08 AM

For all but the audiophiles, on board sound is fine. Check to be sure your integrated sound provides positional sound. Most Realtek chips do. You'll want the positional sound to be able to tell where 'enemies' are in relation to your position.
m
l
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
a b 4 Gaming
July 24, 2012 4:02:46 AM

Echodawg said:
I just finished building my first pc and now I need some sound. I am looking for a 2.1 that will be used strictly for gaming. I'm not looking for a home audio system for music as this is just my office not my living room but I am looking for something that is quality, good sounding and not junk. I had read I should avoid Logitech. Do I need a sound card or will the built in be fine. Any suggestions?

Logitech is amazing, but I personally use headphones. I'm not sure if this is what you want but I'll show you the ones I use.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

These are 5.1 headphones which are internally amplified. They have 4 speakers in each earpiece: front left/right, center, rear left/right and subwoofer. They're extremely comfortable and are great for music and gaming. You can blast whatever you want to listen to without bothering anyone around you.

Even though it says "digital" they can be used through 4 standard 3.5mm jacks as well which is what I recommend.
m
l

Best solution

a b B Homebuilt system
a b 4 Gaming
July 24, 2012 4:07:33 AM

Onboard versus sound card depends on your budget. Points:

- most onboard sound is adequate
- not all addon sound cards support BOTH headphones and speakers
- it's pointless to spend money on a sound card if your speakers aren't good enough

Personally, I have this:
- M-Audio AV40 (2.0, not 2.1) speakers
- Auzentech X-Fi Forte sound card

I've been very impressed with that. I didn't want a subwoofer because the low vibrations would carry too much below me, yet the AV40's have nice bass.

My advice is probably to avoid a sound card for now (you can add one later if the sound doesn't quite cut it) and spend $150 to $200 on 2.1 speakers, or just avoid 2.1 and get M-Audio AV30 speakers for about $100.

Things to look for:
- headphone jack (yes/no)
- headphone jack (does the POWER need to be on?)
- POWER BUTTON (only get if it's on the SPEAKER, not the subwoofer which is a pain to shut off all the time)
- POWER BUTTON (I like the ones built into the VOLUME CONTROL)
- REVIEWS (public and a dedicated review)

**Recommend:
I don't know your budget, but if I had to recommend one system it would be this:

Edifier S330D 2.1
http://www.tech-kings.net/home/index.php?option=com_con...
(there may be better for the price. Use that speaker system as a point of reference.)
a b B Homebuilt system
a b 4 Gaming
July 24, 2012 4:14:05 AM

Update:
Sorry, I noticed that the Edifier S330D has the power button on the subwoofer. These systems consume a lot of power (hence put out a lot of heat) at all times so I always turn my speakers off when not in use.

Just FYI.

Unless you really need that extra bass, I think you might really like the M-Audio AV40 stereo speakers. They are about $150 now.

M-Audio AV40 review:
http://www.modsynergy.com/review164.html
m
l
July 24, 2012 4:37:19 AM

photonboy said:
Onboard versus sound card depends on your budget. Points:

- most onboard sound is adequate
- not all addon sound cards support BOTH headphones and speakers
- it's pointless to spend money on a sound card if your speakers aren't good enough

Personally, I have this:
- M-Audio AV40 (2.0, not 2.1) speakers
- Auzentech X-Fi Forte sound card

I've been very impressed with that. I didn't want a subwoofer because the low vibrations would carry too much below me, yet the AV40's have nice bass.

My advice is probably to avoid a sound card for now (you can add one later if the sound doesn't quite cut it) and spend $150 to $200 on 2.1 speakers, or just avoid 2.1 and get M-Audio AV30 speakers for about $100.

Things to look for:
- headphone jack (yes/no)
- headphone jack (does the POWER need to be on?)
- POWER BUTTON (only get if it's on the SPEAKER, not the subwoofer which is a pain to shut off all the time)
- POWER BUTTON (I like the ones built into the VOLUME CONTROL)
- REVIEWS (public and a dedicated review)

**Recommend:
I don't know your budget, but if I had to recommend one system it would be this:

Edifier S330D 2.1
http://www.tech-kings.net/home/index.php?option=com_con...
(there may be better for the price. Use that speaker system as a point of reference.)

I was looking at the Edifiers but I have also read good things about the Klipsch ProMedia 2.1. Do you think one is better then the other? Those AV40s are nice too.
m
l
July 31, 2012 12:25:44 AM

Best answer selected by Echodawg.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a b 4 Gaming
August 5, 2012 8:20:18 AM

Echodawg said:
I was looking at the Edifiers but I have also read good things about the Klipsch ProMedia 2.1. Do you think one is better then the other? Those AV40s are nice too.

I decided on the M-Audio AV40's for the main reason that they had the best BASS in desktop stereo speakers. You can get better BASS in a 2.1 system but the Subwoofer sits on the floor and the low frequency noise would have carried to the rooms below too much. It's not an issue for a basement or if you know you won't be bothering anyone.

A second reason is that the POWER SWITCH is often on the subwoofer. You don't want this. I turn off the speaker power when I turn off my computer as it really generates a lot of HEAT.

I've been very pleased with my M-Audio AV40's. Not sure what else to say.
m
l
August 15, 2012 7:12:15 PM

These by far are the best speakers I have ever bought for $50. I easily would have paid double. They sound clean loud and the bass is insane. Perfect for gaming and music. I use them for both and they don't disappoint.

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_42489_Limitless-Cre...[query_id]=11772246&SearchClickout[Ignore]=1
m
l
!