Sign in with
Your question

I7 2700k Processor Underperforming

Last response: in CPUs
December 5, 2012 12:12:59 AM

Hello! I recently purchased an Intel i7 2700k processor, which, as I'm sure you know, clocks in at around 3.5ghz and is consequently extremely powerful. However, I have found that when I run any process, especially games, my CPU usage clocks in to under 20%, meaning that most of my processor's power isn't being utilized. The strangest thing is that running games seems to somehow LOWER my CPU usage from around 1.35ghz in total being used to less than 1ghz being used. Is there anything I can do to fix this? Thank you!

Here are the rest of my relevant system specs:

2X GTX 560ti Graphics Cards (SLI enabled)
Intel Z68 SLI Motherboard
900w Power Supply
December 5, 2012 12:42:45 AM

Note: This means that my performance in games is far below the level at which it should be given my setup.
m
l
a c 78 à CPUs
December 5, 2012 12:43:50 AM

What are your CPU temps?

They are supposed to downclock when they are under a light load or when they are overheating.
m
l
Related resources
December 5, 2012 12:49:30 AM

My goodness... The average temperature is 88 degrees Celsius. I'm assuming that would be the issue?
m
l
a c 78 à CPUs
December 5, 2012 12:55:20 AM

geckosquid said:
Ah. Got it. My goodness... The average temperature is 88 degrees Celsius. I'm assuming that would be the issue?

That is an issue yes. (Particularly if that's idle temps)

I would first ensure the fan is spinning. If it is, I would check the cheesy plastic tabs that mount the stock cooler to the motherboard.

If all 4 are properly secured, I guess I would remove the heat sink, clean the old thermal paste off of it, reinstall new paste and then reinstall the cooler.
m
l
December 5, 2012 1:04:15 AM

Thanks so much, as this was definitely the problem. One of my two chassis-secured fans was off, and two of those plastic tabs weren't seated correctly. If the problems continue, I'll clean the heat sink. Thanks again.
m
l
!