Olympus - What to do?

Last response: in Digital Camera
August 19, 2005 7:12:22 PM

I purchased my Olympus C-50 Zoom camera less than 12 months ago. I
recently decided to purchase a 1Gb XD Picture card. After going to the
olympus site, I found that my camera isn't compatible with the 1Gb
card, however I could send it in to Olympus for a *free firmware
upgrade that would solve my problem. However, I would first have to
purchase the card and send in the UPC code from the packaging. I
packaged the camera up, along with necessary forms and sent it in. I
soon got a call from the repair center, with the news that the lens
cover was sticking. I knew this, but it was no big deal, it didn't
effect the camera much. The repair tech was helpful and told me that if
I wanted, they could fix it under warranty while they had it... great.
After 10 days, I got a letter in the mail saying "it would cost me
$269.54 for the repair, how did I want to pay?" I quickly called the
customer service number and after 40 minutes on hold, talked to a rep.
He told me that my only options were to pay the fee or have it shipped
back to me as is, with no firmware upgrade. I'm out some money now no
matter what I do. If I have it shipped back as is, I'm out the $100 I
had to pay for the memory card before the whole thing started. Or I
could spend the $260 on a new camera... of course one that's compatible
with my new 1Gb XD card.

More about : olympus

Anonymous
August 19, 2005 11:15:24 PM

The site says:

http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_section/popup_xd.asp

**Customers who have purchased an Olympus, SanDisk or Lexar M1GB,
M512MB, or 512MB xD-Picture Card will not be charged for this firmware
upgrade service. For customers who want to have their firmware upgraded
but have not purchased an Olympus, SanDisk or Lexar M1GB, M512MB, or
512MB xD-Picture Card, the firmware upgrade is available for $39.95
plus shipping and handling. Please follow the instructions above and
include a check for $39.95 plus tax, shipping and handling made out to
Olympus America Inc."

I'd mention this to customer service, and imply that you have a lawyer
friend.

Really disappointing to see that Oly's bottom line is more important
than their customer. They should have provided for the firmware to be
upgraded by users.
Anonymous
August 20, 2005 2:33:22 AM

rwestzz@yahoo.com wrote:

> I purchased my Olympus C-50 Zoom camera less than 12 months ago. I
> recently decided to purchase a 1Gb XD Picture card. After going to the
> olympus site, I found that my camera isn't compatible with the 1Gb
> card, however I could send it in to Olympus for a *free firmware
> upgrade that would solve my problem. However, I would first have to
> purchase the card and send in the UPC code from the packaging. I
> packaged the camera up, along with necessary forms and sent it in. I
> soon got a call from the repair center, with the news that the lens
> cover was sticking. I knew this, but it was no big deal, it didn't
> effect the camera much. The repair tech was helpful and told me that if
> I wanted, they could fix it under warranty while they had it... great.
> After 10 days, I got a letter in the mail saying "it would cost me
> $269.54 for the repair, how did I want to pay?" I quickly called the
> customer service number and after 40 minutes on hold, talked to a rep.
> He told me that my only options were to pay the fee or have it shipped
> back to me as is, with no firmware upgrade. I'm out some money now no
> matter what I do. If I have it shipped back as is, I'm out the $100 I
> had to pay for the memory card before the whole thing started. Or I
> could spend the $260 on a new camera... of course one that's compatible
> with my new 1Gb XD card.

why will they not just do the firmware upgrade? That's all you asked
them to do and that's what they should accept if you choose not to
have this other thing done.
--
Paul (And I'm, like, "yeah, whatever!")
Stop and Look

"Paul Heslop" <paul.heslop@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
> rwestzz@yahoo.com wrote:

Problems with Olympus customer service snipped.

I have the Olympus Master software loaded on my pc and this allows me to
upgrade my camera body, lens's and anything else that might need upgrading.
It's just like upgrading the bios or driver on your pc.

Is that not an option for your model of camera? Also, join and ask the good
folks on the Olympus noosegroop on Yahoo Groups. They are quite
knowledgeable in these things specific to Olympus.

--
MoParMaN---Remove Clothes To Reply!
August 20, 2005 5:34:43 AM

<rwestzz@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>I purchased my Olympus C-50 Zoom camera less than 12 months ago. I
> recently decided to purchase a 1Gb XD Picture card. After going to the
> olympus site, I found that my camera isn't compatible with the 1Gb
> card, however I could send it in to Olympus for a *free firmware
> upgrade that would solve my problem. However, I would first have to
> purchase the card and send in the UPC code from the packaging. I
> packaged the camera up, along with necessary forms and sent it in. I
> soon got a call from the repair center, with the news that the lens
> cover was sticking. I knew this, but it was no big deal, it didn't
> effect the camera much. The repair tech was helpful and told me that if
> I wanted, they could fix it under warranty while they had it... great.
> After 10 days, I got a letter in the mail saying "it would cost me
> $269.54 for the repair, how did I want to pay?" I quickly called the
> customer service number and after 40 minutes on hold, talked to a rep.
> He told me that my only options were to pay the fee or have it shipped
> back to me as is, with no firmware upgrade. I'm out some money now no
> matter what I do. If I have it shipped back as is, I'm out the $100 I
> had to pay for the memory card before the whole thing started. Or I
> could spend the $260 on a new camera... of course one that's compatible
> with my new 1Gb XD card.

I'd have bought several smaller cards. Putting your images on one big card
is like putting all your eggs in one basket. If that one card failed, all
your images would go with it.
John
Anonymous
August 20, 2005 7:41:13 AM

"JohnR66" <nospam@att.net> wrote in message
> <rwestzz@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>I purchased my Olympus C-50 Zoom camera less than 12 months ago. I
>> recently decided to purchase a 1Gb XD Picture card. After going to the
>> olympus site, I found that my camera isn't compatible with the 1Gb
>> card, however I could send it in to Olympus for a *free firmware
>> upgrade that would solve my problem. However, I would first have to
>> purchase the card and send in the UPC code from the packaging. I
>> packaged the camera up, along with necessary forms and sent it in. I
>> soon got a call from the repair center, with the news that the lens
>> cover was sticking. I knew this, but it was no big deal, it didn't
>> effect the camera much. The repair tech was helpful and told me that if
>> I wanted, they could fix it under warranty while they had it... great.
>> After 10 days, I got a letter in the mail saying "it would cost me
>> $269.54 for the repair, how did I want to pay?" I quickly called the
>> customer service number and after 40 minutes on hold, talked to a rep.
>> He told me that my only options were to pay the fee or have it shipped
>> back to me as is, with no firmware upgrade. I'm out some money now no
>> matter what I do. If I have it shipped back as is, I'm out the $100 I
>> had to pay for the memory card before the whole thing started. Or I
>> could spend the $260 on a new camera... of course one that's compatible
>> with my new 1Gb XD card.
>>
> I'd have bought several smaller cards. Putting your images on one big card
> is like putting all your eggs in one basket. If that one card failed, all
> your images would go with it.
> John
Not if you upload them on a regular basis like I do. Usually the same day,
that's why god created laptops.

--
MoParMaN---Remove Clothes To Reply!
August 20, 2005 12:44:03 PM

l e o wrote:
SNIP
> He's entitled to have the firmware update! And what happened to the 1
> year warranty for the lens? Doesn't he have sales receipt to prove?

I have to agree.... what's going on here? OP says he is within
warranty, and he owns and sent in the proper UPC/receipt or whatever
for the 1 GB card, and Olympus is saying "no, it's not a warranty
repair and you don't qualify for the firmware upgrade". They seem to be
speaking different languages, don't they?

Regardless, if we're not missing any info, the answer is to go up the
management chain until you talk to someone who can get the job done.
Document the names of anyone you talk to, the date, and take notes on
what is said. If they eventually say "too bad, so sad" then you could
try the Better Business Bureau or your local equivalent - I've gotten
satisfaction from even big companies in the past. One way I've put
pressure on is to demand the cut-out UPC, etc. back - so that I can
return the item for a full refund. This tactic works great; they don't
like the thought that you'll walk in to your retailer (on a busy
Saturday morning, right beside the cash registers) and loudly demand
your money back because they didn't honor a rebate. Might work here.

ECM
Anonymous
August 20, 2005 1:32:36 PM

In article <1124489542.034063.192990@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,
rwestzz@yahoo.com wrote:

> I purchased my Olympus C-50 Zoom camera less than 12 months ago. I
> recently decided to purchase a 1Gb XD Picture card. After going to the
> olympus site, I found that my camera isn't compatible with the 1Gb
> card, however I could send it in to Olympus for a *free firmware
> upgrade that would solve my problem. However, I would first have to
> purchase the card and send in the UPC code from the packaging. I
> packaged the camera up, along with necessary forms and sent it in. I
> soon got a call from the repair center, with the news that the lens
> cover was sticking. I knew this, but it was no big deal, it didn't
> effect the camera much. The repair tech was helpful and told me that if
> I wanted, they could fix it under warranty while they had it... great.
> After 10 days, I got a letter in the mail saying "it would cost me
> $269.54 for the repair, how did I want to pay?" I quickly called the
> customer service number and after 40 minutes on hold, talked to a rep.
> He told me that my only options were to pay the fee or have it shipped
> back to me as is, with no firmware upgrade. I'm out some money now no
> matter what I do. If I have it shipped back as is, I'm out the $100 I
> had to pay for the memory card before the whole thing started. Or I
> could spend the $260 on a new camera... of course one that's compatible
> with my new 1Gb XD card.

A third choice is to forgo the repair and sell the memory card. A forth
choice, which is what I would do, is to request to talk with a
supervisor and take this bullshit up the chain of command until Olympus
does the right thing which is to fix your camera for free or at least do
the firmware upgrade.
Anonymous
August 20, 2005 2:25:28 PM

In article <1124489542.034063.192990@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,
rwestzz@yahoo.com says...
> I purchased my Olympus C-50 Zoom camera less than 12 months ago. I
> recently decided to purchase a 1Gb XD Picture card.

You won't need a 1GB card on a 5MP camera, unless you want to shoot RAW.
I don't think the C50 has the RAW file format, so if you shoot SHQ JPEGs
you should be able to fit around 200 images on it, which should be
enough. With HQ JPEGS that number will likely jump to 400.
--

Alfred Molon
August 20, 2005 2:25:29 PM

Alfred Molon wrote:

> In article <1124489542.034063.192990@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,
> rwestzz@yahoo.com says...
> > I purchased my Olympus C-50 Zoom camera less than 12 months ago. I
> > recently decided to purchase a 1Gb XD Picture card.
>
> You won't need a 1GB card on a 5MP camera, unless you want to shoot RAW.
> I don't think the C50 has the RAW file format, so if you shoot SHQ JPEGs
> you should be able to fit around 200 images on it, which should be
> enough. With HQ JPEGS that number will likely jump to 400.
> --
>
> Alfred Molon

It may do TIFF... yes, if I have the right cam here it does TIFF too
http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/C50/C50A.HTM

--
Paul (And I'm, like, "yeah, whatever!")
Stop and Look
http://www.geocities.com/dreamst8me/
Anonymous
August 20, 2005 5:35:27 PM

In article <4306FC82.75F96116@blueyonder.co.uk>, Paul Heslop says...

> It may do TIFF... yes, if I have the right cam here it does TIFF too
> http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/C50/C50A.HTM

No point using TIFF, when SHQ is virtually indistinguishable from TIFF.
--

Alfred Molon
August 20, 2005 5:35:28 PM

Alfred Molon wrote:
> In article <4306FC82.75F96116@blueyonder.co.uk>, Paul Heslop says...
>

>>It may do TIFF... yes, if I have the right cam here it does TIFF too
>>http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/C50/C50A.HTM
>

> No point using TIFF, when SHQ is virtually indistinguishable from TIFF.

He's entitled to have the firmware update! And what happened to the 1
year warranty for the lens? Doesn't he have sales receipt to prove?
Anonymous
August 20, 2005 7:50:38 PM

Your 4th option would be my choice, if for no other reason than by now I
would be really ticked off!!!

Regards
Ken.....................

snip

> A third choice is to forgo the repair and sell the memory card. A fourth
> choice, which is what I would do, is to request to talk with a
> supervisor and take this bullshit up the chain of command until Olympus
> does the right thing which is to fix your camera for free or at least do
> the firmware upgrade.
Anonymous
August 20, 2005 7:50:39 PM

Ken Wright wrote:
> Your 4th option would be my choice, if for no other reason than by
> now I would be really ticked off!!!
>
> Regards
> Ken.....................
>
> snip
>>
>> A third choice is to forgo the repair and sell the memory card. A
>> fourth choice, which is what I would do, is to request to talk with
>> supervisor and take this bullshit up the chain of command until
>> Olympus does the right thing which is to fix your camera for free
>> or
>> at least do the firmware upgrade.

And all that after posting details on all appropriate news groups so
everyone hears (for the umpteeth time) what a bunch of rotters Olympus
has turned into. (Don't get me started on microcassette recorder
repair ... )
--
Frank ess
Anonymous

Alfred Molon wrote:

> In article <4306FC82.75F96116@blueyonder.co.uk>, Paul Heslop says...
>
> > It may do TIFF... yes, if I have the right cam here it does TIFF too
> > http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/C50/C50A.HTM
>
> No point using TIFF, when SHQ is virtually indistinguishable from TIFF.
> --
>
> Alfred Molon

It most likely is, but many people will use what they take to be the
highest quality and it is a hell of a difference in file size.
--
Paul (And I'm, like, "yeah, whatever!")
Stop and Look
http://www.geocities.com/dreamst8me/
Anonymous
August 21, 2005 12:19:39 AM

On Sat, 20 Aug 2005 09:06:01 -0700, "Frank ess" <frank@fshe2fs.com>
wrote:

>Ken Wright wrote:
>> Your 4th option would be my choice, if for no other reason than by
>> now I would be really ticked off!!!
>>
>> Regards
>> Ken.....................
>>
>> snip
>>>
>>> A third choice is to forgo the repair and sell the memory card. A
>>> fourth choice, which is what I would do, is to request to talk with
>>> supervisor and take this bullshit up the chain of command until
>>> Olympus does the right thing which is to fix your camera for free
>>> or
>>> at least do the firmware upgrade.
>
>And all that after posting details on all appropriate news groups so
>everyone hears (for the umpteeth time) what a bunch of rotters Olympus
>has turned into. (Don't get me started on microcassette recorder
>repair ... )

The OP is a troll.
Note, they (Oly) said they would fix it under warranty, then tried to
charge for a warranty repair. Sure. Happens all the time, doesn't it?
Then the OP posted from Google. I point this out because this isn't
the first absurd post from Google that gets a lot of people trying to
figure out what's going on.

--
Bill Funk
Replace "g" with "a"

I just got back from my backpacking trip across the Grand Canyon. I
was hoping to have received my camera back before I left, but it never
showed up. The last I heard they had shipped it on Monday and I should
have it by the time I left on Thursday. I just got home last night and
going through my mail was a letter from Olympus telling me that my
camera would be shipped as soon as the "rare" parts for it came in. As
a consolation, they would pay to have it shipped back to me. I called
the cust. support # today and now it turns out that they are not going
to repair the camera at all. They decided to exchange the camera for a
working one. WTF? The lens cover sticks a little bit every now and
then and it turns into this? After some friendly discussions with
them, the replacement camera they are sending is a c-60. I don't know
much about that camera. Any input from you guys on that one?

Looking back I should have just bought a couple 512mb chips, but I
commonly go out on week long backpacking trips where I come home with
1000+ pictures. I got tired of bringing my laptop to download the
images just to take more.

Anyway, maybe I'll be better off with the c-60.
Anonymous
September 7, 2005 12:44:27 PM

I had the c-50 and they have are replacing it with the c-60. One thing
I just noticed on the Olympus website is that the c-60 isn't compatible
with the 1Gb card that started this whole thing!! Arrrgh. What a mess.
Anonymous
September 7, 2005 1:19:48 PM

I think Bill's got some trust issues he needs to work out.
Anonymous
September 7, 2005 2:10:25 PM

On 7 Sep 2005 08:00:47 -0700, "rwestzz" <rwestzz@yahoo.com> wrote:

>I just got back from my backpacking trip across the Grand Canyon. I
>was hoping to have received my camera back before I left, but it never
>showed up. The last I heard they had shipped it on Monday and I should
>have it by the time I left on Thursday. I just got home last night and
>going through my mail was a letter from Olympus telling me that my
>camera would be shipped as soon as the "rare" parts for it came in. As
>a consolation, they would pay to have it shipped back to me. I called
>the cust. support # today and now it turns out that they are not going
>to repair the camera at all. They decided to exchange the camera for a
>working one. WTF? The lens cover sticks a little bit every now and
>then and it turns into this? After some friendly discussions with
>them, the replacement camera they are sending is a c-60. I don't know
>much about that camera. Any input from you guys on that one?
>
>Looking back I should have just bought a couple 512mb chips, but I
>commonly go out on week long backpacking trips where I come home with
>1000+ pictures. I got tired of bringing my laptop to download the
>images just to take more.
>
>Anyway, maybe I'll be better off with the c-60.

Here are some users views on it.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/read_opinions.asp?prodk...

features.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Olympus/oly_c60z....

What did you have before?

-James Nachtwey-
http://www.jamesnachtwey.com/
Anonymous
September 7, 2005 3:51:01 PM

rwestzz@yahoo.com wrote:
> I purchased my Olympus C-50 Zoom camera less than 12 months ago. I
> recently decided to purchase a 1Gb XD Picture card. After going to the
> olympus site, I found that my camera isn't compatible with the 1Gb
> card, however I could send it in to Olympus for a *free firmware
> upgrade that would solve my problem. However, I would first have to
> purchase the card and send in the UPC code from the packaging. I
> packaged the camera up, along with necessary forms and sent it in. I
> soon got a call from the repair center, with the news that the lens
> cover was sticking. I knew this, but it was no big deal, it didn't
> effect the camera much. The repair tech was helpful and told me that if
> I wanted, they could fix it under warranty while they had it... great.
> After 10 days, I got a letter in the mail saying "it would cost me
> $269.54 for the repair, how did I want to pay?" I quickly called the
> customer service number and after 40 minutes on hold, talked to a rep.
> He told me that my only options were to pay the fee or have it shipped
> back to me as is, with no firmware upgrade. I'm out some money now no
> matter what I do. If I have it shipped back as is, I'm out the $100 I
> had to pay for the memory card before the whole thing started. Or I
> could spend the $260 on a new camera... of course one that's compatible
> with my new 1Gb XD card.

With a situation like this, there's only one approach. Escalate! Call
back, ask to get the firmware installed at no charge as promised. If
they don't agree, ask to speak to their supervisor. If he won't give
you satisfaction, ask to speak to their supervisor. Beginning to see a
pattern here? Remember, in most organizations, the people at the bottom
are only authorized to say "no". You need to move up until you find the
level where they can, and will, say yes to a reasonable request, which
yours surely is.
Anonymous
September 7, 2005 5:46:57 PM

On 7 Sep 2005 08:44:27 -0700, "rwestzz" <rwestzz@yahoo.com> wrote:

>I had the c-50 and they have are replacing it with the c-60. One thing
>I just noticed on the Olympus website is that the c-60 isn't compatible
>with the 1Gb card that started this whole thing!! Arrrgh. What a mess.

Tell them that and see if they'll sweeten the deal with a memory
card....

-James Nachtwey-
http://www.jamesnachtwey.com/
Anonymous
September 7, 2005 6:13:38 PM

This is becoming comical. I called 4 times today and got 4 different
version of the situation. The first person told me that the new camera
had shipped and gave me an invalid UPS tracking number. The next guy
told me that the C-60 *was* compatible with the 1Gb card. I called
tech support, and was told that it is *not* supported. I told the last
guy to just send me my camera back along with (the advice from "ecm"
from this group) my original UPC so I can return the card. Then he
goes on to tell me I needed to prove that I had sent them a c-50, and
that all of their records show I had sent in a c-60 to begin with. I
asked to talk to a supervisor, and was told that someone at that level
would call me back within 48 hours.
Anonymous
September 7, 2005 8:50:44 PM

On Wed, 07 Sep 2005 13:46:57 -0500, John A. Stovall wrote:

>>I had the c-50 and they have are replacing it with the c-60. One thing
>>I just noticed on the Olympus website is that the c-60 isn't compatible
>>with the 1Gb card that started this whole thing!! Arrrgh. What a mess.
>
> Tell them that and see if they'll sweeten the deal with a memory
> card....

Or see if they'll replace the C-50 with the first camera in their
lineup above the C-60 that supports 1GB cards. "Goodwill" is
recognized on financial statements and can, in the long run be more
profitable for Olympus.
Anonymous
September 8, 2005 4:28:36 PM

Just got the call back from Olympus. The guy on the other end of the
phone was as clueless as everyone else I talked to. He explained that
my camera (c-60) was being sent back to me. After a couple of minutes
explaining to him that I didn't have a c-60, he did some checking and
reveiled to me that they in fact "lost" my camera and was sending me
the c-60 as a replacement. He couldn't provide any other assistance
and explained that he was only informed to call me and let me know my
camera had shipped... someone else should be calling me within another
48 hours.
!