Sign in with
Your question

Do I need a a seperate sound card for games or music?

Last response: in Components
December 5, 2012 1:15:59 AM

I am building a new machine and am looking to purchase a graphics card in the next 30 days

Build:

Processor - I7-980
MOBO - Gigabyte GA-x58-UDR3 V 2.0
Ram: 3 -G.SKILL Sniper Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 (PC3 14900) Desktop Memory Model F3-14900CL9D-8GBSR (24 GB total)
PSU - 750W unsure make yet

The Mobo has a audio compnent to it. Back in the day you needed a sperate sound card. Do I need one now for playing games with 5.1 sound or for music or should I use the cash for something else on the machine? I am in the US.

Thanks
December 5, 2012 2:34:20 AM

are you buying the processor now? there are better choices unless you are getting that really cheap.

anyways, a sound card isn't needed but you can still get one if you are an audiophile.
m
l
December 5, 2012 2:47:47 AM

These days the integrated sound is actually pretty good and buying really nice speakers/headphones is the way to go if you want better sound.

In his other thread, he says he already purchased them. Although no details were given.
m
l
Related resources
December 6, 2012 12:03:50 AM

esrever said:
are you buying the processor now? there are better choices unless you are getting that really cheap.

anyways, a sound card isn't needed but you can still get one if you are an audiophile.

Already had the processor. been saving up for awhile.
m
l
December 6, 2012 12:08:45 AM

k1114 said:
These days the integrated sound is actually pretty good and buying really nice speakers/headphones is the way to go if you want better sound.

In his other thread, he says he already purchased them. Although no details were given.

I have an older set of Logitech 5.1 speakers and am looking at a Turtle Beach headset. I am open to other headphone and speaker options if I dont have to purchase a sound card.

Also what details do you need on the system I am building that I didnt provide? All materials listed are already purchased.

Thanks
m
l
December 6, 2012 5:22:27 PM

sound cards aren't needed.

if you can tell the difference between 256kbps mp3s and 320kbps mp3s, you might want one.
m
l
!