Do I need a a seperate sound card for games or music?

I am building a new machine and am looking to purchase a graphics card in the next 30 days

Build:

Processor - I7-980
MOBO - Gigabyte GA-x58-UDR3 V 2.0
Ram: 3 -G.SKILL Sniper Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 (PC3 14900) Desktop Memory Model F3-14900CL9D-8GBSR (24 GB total)
PSU - 750W unsure make yet

The Mobo has a audio compnent to it. Back in the day you needed a sperate sound card. Do I need one now for playing games with 5.1 sound or for music or should I use the cash for something else on the machine? I am in the US.

Thanks
5 answers Last reply
More about seperate sound card games music
  1. are you buying the processor now? there are better choices unless you are getting that really cheap.

anyways, a sound card isn't needed but you can still get one if you are an audiophile.
  2. These days the integrated sound is actually pretty good and buying really nice speakers/headphones is the way to go if you want better sound.

In his other thread, he says he already purchased them. Although no details were given.
  3. esrever said:
    are you buying the processor now? there are better choices unless you are getting that really cheap.

anyways, a sound card isn't needed but you can still get one if you are an audiophile.

Already had the processor. been saving up for awhile.
  4. k1114 said:
    These days the integrated sound is actually pretty good and buying really nice speakers/headphones is the way to go if you want better sound.

In his other thread, he says he already purchased them. Although no details were given.

I have an older set of Logitech 5.1 speakers and am looking at a Turtle Beach headset. I am open to other headphone and speaker options if I dont have to purchase a sound card.

Also what details do you need on the system I am building that I didnt provide? All materials listed are already purchased.

Thanks
  5. sound cards aren't needed.

if you can tell the difference between 256kbps mp3s and 320kbps mp3s, you might want one.
Ask a new question

Read More

Sound Cards Components