Which Power Supply?

Status
Not open for further replies.

prodigydoo

Honorable
Aug 15, 2012
Ok so I need some advice on which power supply to buy.. Its a case of brand vs brand really.. well cooler master (CM) vs HPS (which i have never heard of)

The cooler Master psu

The HPS psu

Both power supply's come in at a very similar price, The HPS is 980w and the CM is 500w

I need it to power a single gpu gtx 650, an fx-8530 and nothing much else. i may want to run dual gpus in the future so i want it to be able to handle that.

I don't care about the price difference.. just think they are both the same price, which one is better?.. I know obviously the HPS one provides more power but im not sure if I'm better off going with CM as a more reliable psu?

Thanks in advance

Solution

Yes, There is a reason to purchase only from reputable brands. The PSU is THE single most important component in your system. If that fails it can take multiple other components with it costing you a lot of money and time to repair/replace. That's why it's important to buy from manufacturers that build and test their PSU's to rigid specifications and that make sure that the PSU can perform to those specifications. Many manufacturers spec their supplies to meet output wattages and currents that simply do NOT meet their own specifications. Seasonic, Corsair, XFX and some Antec models are known to perform at or above their specs and are, therefore, reliable. There are other...

jrayx

Honorable
Jun 9, 2012
None of those, the only thing I know is that you don't want to go with a Cooler Master or HPS Power Supply. Buy from Corsair, Seasonic or Antec.

For that system 500 watts is enough, for SLI maybe 600 watts with a quality PSU.

prodigydoo

Honorable
Aug 15, 2012

Any reason why you would only by from big brands?

JKatwyopc

Distinguished

Yes, There is a reason to purchase only from reputable brands. The PSU is THE single most important component in your system. If that fails it can take multiple other components with it costing you a lot of money and time to repair/replace. That's why it's important to buy from manufacturers that build and test their PSU's to rigid specifications and that make sure that the PSU can perform to those specifications. Many manufacturers spec their supplies to meet output wattages and currents that simply do NOT meet their own specifications. Seasonic, Corsair, XFX and some Antec models are known to perform at or above their specs and are, therefore, reliable. There are other PSU's from other brands that are good but I KNOW I can trust those. Personally, I only purchase Corsair (lower cost) or Seasonic PSU's.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.