Does this a object make photographs??

Last response: in Digital Camera
August 20, 2005 2:18:02 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm (More info?)

Does this a object make photographs??

Here is the a picture of the object: (sorry, it's small)

http://www.oksolar.com/images/Traffic_radar_trailer.jpg

And here are the specs:

http://www.oksolar.com/n_cart/product_details.asp?Produ...
affic&subcat=DOT%20Speed%20Awareness

A most advanced Portable Radar Speed Display System ever offered to the
Traffic Safety Industry.

* High efficiency/output 18-inch CMS LED display meets MUTCD
requirements ‹ 1000+ feet of visibility.
* Rugged, compact trailer enables easy towing and setup for highway
and Municipal applications.
* Extended mounting height of the radar
display and speed limit sign allows for greater
visibility and true MUTCD conformance.
* Solar Powered with Battery Back-up Systems.
* Violator alert and over-speed features are standard.
* ITS communication interfacing options available.
* Accessory device outputs for connecting extra warning lights
and/or sirens also available.

Think about it and how it is similar to digital camera technology.

Main Entry: pho·tog·ra·phy
Pronunciation: f&-'t-gr&-fE
Function: noun
: the art or process of producing images on a sensitized surface (as a
film) by the action of radiant energy and especially light
Anonymous
August 20, 2005 2:18:03 AM

"kz8rt3" <kz8rt3@mail.com> wrote in message

> Does this a object make photographs??
>

> Here is the a picture of the object: (sorry, it's small)
>
> http://www.oksolar.com/images/Traffic_radar_trailer.jpg
>
> And here are the specs:
>
> http://www.oksolar.com/n_cart/product_details.asp?Produ...
> affic&subcat=DOT%20Speed%20Awareness

No.
It uses radar for speed detection...has no need for images.

So no...you won't be getting a speeding ticket in the from an image of your
license plate.
(I got one in hte early days of photo enforcement in San Diego, for turning
late in a left turn lane...$340!!!)
Anonymous
August 20, 2005 2:18:03 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm (More info?)

"kz8rt3" <kz8rt3@mail.com> wrote in message

> Does this a object make photographs??
>

> Here is the a picture of the object: (sorry, it's small)
>
> http://www.oksolar.com/images/Traffic_radar_trailer.jpg
>
> And here are the specs:
>
> http://www.oksolar.com/n_cart/product_details.asp?Produ...
> affic&subcat=DOT%20Speed%20Awareness
>
> A most advanced Portable Radar Speed Display System ever offered to the
> Traffic Safety Industry.
>
> * High efficiency/output 18-inch CMS LED display meets MUTCD
> requirements < 1000+ feet of visibility.
> * Rugged, compact trailer enables easy towing and setup for highway
> and Municipal applications.
> * Extended mounting height of the radar
> display and speed limit sign allows for greater
> visibility and true MUTCD conformance.
> * Solar Powered with Battery Back-up Systems.
> * Violator alert and over-speed features are standard.
> * ITS communication interfacing options available.
> * Accessory device outputs for connecting extra warning lights
> and/or sirens also available.
>

> Think about it and how it is similar to digital camera technology.

Depth - Length: 0 inches
Width: 0 inches
Height: 0 inches
Shipping Weight: 245 lb

By my calculations, it has infinite density.......
August 20, 2005 2:18:03 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm (More info?)

Wow, are you ever in the wrong newsgroup. But, I doubt this is a camera.
We have them all over town. They just warn "you" to slow down and take it
easy.

Any cheap radar detector will find these things.

"kz8rt3" <kz8rt3@mail.com> wrote in message

> Does this a object make photographs??
>

> Here is the a picture of the object: (sorry, it's small)
>
> http://www.oksolar.com/images/Traffic_radar_trailer.jpg
>
> And here are the specs:
>
> http://www.oksolar.com/n_cart/product_details.asp?Produ...
> affic&subcat=DOT%20Speed%20Awareness
>
> A most advanced Portable Radar Speed Display System ever offered to the
> Traffic Safety Industry.
>
> * High efficiency/output 18-inch CMS LED display meets MUTCD
> requirements < 1000+ feet of visibility.
> * Rugged, compact trailer enables easy towing and setup for highway
> and Municipal applications.
> * Extended mounting height of the radar
> display and speed limit sign allows for greater
> visibility and true MUTCD conformance.
> * Solar Powered with Battery Back-up Systems.
> * Violator alert and over-speed features are standard.
> * ITS communication interfacing options available.
> * Accessory device outputs for connecting extra warning lights
> and/or sirens also available.
>

> Think about it and how it is similar to digital camera technology.
>

> Main Entry: pho·tog·ra·phy
> Pronunciation: f&-'t-gr&-fE
> Function: noun
> : the art or process of producing images on a sensitized surface (as a
> film) by the action of radiant energy and especially light
Anonymous
August 20, 2005 2:18:04 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm (More info?)

news:N_sNe.5626> (I got one in hte early days of photo enforcement in San
Diego, for turning
> late in a left turn lane...$340!!!)

Makes those garage-sale license plates of mine look better & better........
Anonymous
August 20, 2005 2:18:04 AM

Sheldon wrote:
> Wow, are you ever in the wrong newsgroup. But, I doubt this is a
> camera. We have them all over town. They just warn "you" to slow
> down and take it easy.
>
> Any cheap radar detector will find these things.

Lessee:
Detects four-dimensional real events.
Displays its interpretation in a visible medium.
"Set display modes are adjustable to your needs by use of easy to
operate switches"
Hmmm.

> "kz8rt3" <kz8rt3@mail.com> wrote in message
>>
>> Does this a object make photographs??
>>

>> Here is the a picture of the object: (sorry, it's small)
>>
>> http://www.oksolar.com/images/Traffic_radar_trailer.jpg
>>
>> And here are the specs:
>>
>> http://www.oksolar.com/n_cart/product_details.asp?Produ...
>> affic&subcat=DOT%20Speed%20Awareness
>>
>> A most advanced Portable Radar Speed Display System ever offered to
>> the Traffic Safety Industry.
>>
>> * High efficiency/output 18-inch CMS LED display meets MUTCD
>> requirements < 1000+ feet of visibility.
>> * Rugged, compact trailer enables easy towing and setup for
>> highway and Municipal applications.
>> * Extended mounting height of the radar
>> display and speed limit sign allows for greater
>> visibility and true MUTCD conformance.
>> * Solar Powered with Battery Back-up Systems.
>> * Violator alert and over-speed features are standard.
>> * ITS communication interfacing options available.
>> * Accessory device outputs for connecting extra warning lights
>> and/or sirens also available.
>>

>> Think about it and how it is similar to digital camera technology.
>>

>> Main Entry: pho·tog·ra·phy
>> Pronunciation: f&-'t-gr&-fE
>> Function: noun
>>> the art or process of producing images on a sensitized surface (as
>> film) by the action of radiant energy and especially light
Anonymous
August 20, 2005 2:27:06 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm (More info?)

From: "kz8rt3" <kz8rt3@mail.com>

| Does this a object make photographs??
|
| Here is the a picture of the object: (sorry, it's small)
|
| http://www.oksolar.com/images/Traffic_radar_trailer.jpg
|
| And here are the specs:
|
| http://www.oksolar.com/n_cart/product_details.asp?Produ...
| affic&subcat=DOT%20Speed%20Awareness
|
| A most advanced Portable Radar Speed Display System ever offered to the
| Traffic Safety Industry.
|
| * High efficiency/output 18-inch CMS LED display meets MUTCD
| requirements ‹ 1000+ feet of visibility.
| * Rugged, compact trailer enables easy towing and setup for highway
| and Municipal applications.
| * Extended mounting height of the radar
| display and speed limit sign allows for greater
| visibility and true MUTCD conformance.
| * Solar Powered with Battery Back-up Systems.
| * Violator alert and over-speed features are standard.
| * ITS communication interfacing options available.
| * Accessory device outputs for connecting extra warning lights
| and/or sirens also available.
|
| Think about it and how it is similar to digital camera technology.
|
| Main Entry: pho·tog·ra·phy
| Pronunciation: f&-'t-gr&-fE
| Function: noun
| : the art or process of producing images on a sensitized surface (as a
| film) by the action of radiant energy and especially light

You are asking in the /* WRONG */ News Groups !
Your post is Off Topic in all the News Groups you Cross-Posted to.

The answer is -- NO.

--
Dave
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm (More info?)

In article <N_sNe.5626$Us5.3972@fed1read02>, "Mark²" <mjmorgan(lowest
even number here)@cox..net> says...
> (I got one in hte early days of photo enforcement in San Diego, for turning
> late in a left turn lane...$340!!!)

Yoinks! Around here they don't nail you for anything more than $100.

We have a problem intersection here where people regularly run the red
to make a left hand turn.

The intersection has red light cameras, but the contractor that was
supposed to install the one for the left turn lane hasn't done anything
in two years. Annoying, to say the least, as it backs up traffic trying
to get to the highway.
--
http://www.pbase.com/bcbaird
Anonymous

"Brian Baird" <no@no.thank.u> wrote in message
> In article <N_sNe.5626$Us5.3972@fed1read02>, "Mark²" <mjmorgan(lowest
> even number here)@cox..net> says...
>> (I got one in hte early days of photo enforcement in San Diego, for
>> turning
>> late in a left turn lane...$340!!!)
>
> Yoinks! Around here they don't nail you for anything more than $100.

$100 bucks? I've been up in your neck of he woods and gotten tickets for
more then 100 bucks. And don't come down to my neck of the woods and talk
on your cell phone because that will cost you at least 100 bucks. :-)

--

Rob
Anonymous

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm (More info?)

In article <1vmdnUlgkdW9wJveRVn-3Q@comcast.com>,
"William Graham" <weg9@comcast.net> wrote:

> "kz8rt3" <kz8rt3@mail.com> wrote in message
> >
> > Does this a object make photographs??
> >

> > Here is the a picture of the object: (sorry, it's small)
> >
> > http://www.oksolar.com/images/Traffic_radar_trailer.jpg
> >
> > And here are the specs:
> >
> > http://www.oksolar.com/n_cart/product_details.asp?Produ...
> > affic&subcat=DOT%20Speed%20Awareness
> >
> > A most advanced Portable Radar Speed Display System ever offered to the
> > Traffic Safety Industry.
> >
> > * High efficiency/output 18-inch CMS LED display meets MUTCD
> > requirements < 1000+ feet of visibility.
> > * Rugged, compact trailer enables easy towing and setup for highway
> > and Municipal applications.
> > * Extended mounting height of the radar
> > display and speed limit sign allows for greater
> > visibility and true MUTCD conformance.
> > * Solar Powered with Battery Back-up Systems.
> > * Violator alert and over-speed features are standard.
> > * ITS communication interfacing options available.
> > * Accessory device outputs for connecting extra warning lights
> > and/or sirens also available.
> >

> > Think about it and how it is similar to digital camera technology.
> >

> Depth - Length: 0 inches
> Width: 0 inches
> Height: 0 inches
> Shipping Weight: 245 lb
>
> By my calculations, it has infinite density.......

You win the prize of being the only one who even slightly got what I was
getting to.
Anonymous
August 20, 2005 6:09:12 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm (More info?)

From: "kz8rt3" <kz8rt3@mail.com>

| Yes, I could have been more clear but I assure you it is on topic. Stop
| freaking out.
|
| But everyone missed the point so i'll drop it.
|
| Just wondering the the sensitize surface that the image is created on
| resides on a DSLR.

How can such a device be On Topic in a dSLR News Group or a 35mm film News group.

Are you also saying that it takes recreational photos ?

NOT !

--
Dave
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm
Anonymous
August 20, 2005 11:13:53 AM

> From: "kz8rt3" <kz8rt3@mail.com>
>

> | Yes, I could have been more clear but I assure you it is on topic. Stop
> | freaking out.
> |
> | But everyone missed the point so i'll drop it.
> |
> | Just wondering the the sensitize surface that the image is created on
> | resides on a DSLR.
>
> How can such a device be On Topic in a dSLR News Group or a 35mm film News
> group.
>
> Are you also saying that it takes recreational photos ?
>
> NOT !
>
> --

If they make it, someone will want one for themselves to play with, ipso
facto it will become recreational.

Like ummm, whatever dude. Whatever floats ya boat!
Anonymous
August 20, 2005 1:29:15 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm (More info?)

In article <kz8rt3-701928.18180219082005@news2-ge0.southeast.rr.com>,
kz8rt3 <kz8rt3@mail.com> wrote:

> Does this a object make photographs??
>

> Here is the a picture of the object: (sorry, it's small)
>
> http://www.oksolar.com/images/Traffic_radar_trailer.jpg
>
> And here are the specs:
>
> http://www.oksolar.com/n_cart/product_details.asp?Produ...
> affic&subcat=DOT%20Speed%20Awareness
>
> A most advanced Portable Radar Speed Display System ever offered to the
> Traffic Safety Industry.
>
> * High efficiency/output 18-inch CMS LED display meets MUTCD
> requirements ‹ 1000+ feet of visibility.
> * Rugged, compact trailer enables easy towing and setup for highway
> and Municipal applications.
> * Extended mounting height of the radar
> display and speed limit sign allows for greater
> visibility and true MUTCD conformance.
> * Solar Powered with Battery Back-up Systems.
> * Violator alert and over-speed features are standard.
> * ITS communication interfacing options available.
> * Accessory device outputs for connecting extra warning lights
> and/or sirens also available.
>

> Think about it and how it is similar to digital camera technology.
>

> Main Entry: pho·tog·ra·phy
> Pronunciation: f&-'t-gr&-fE
> Function: noun
> : the art or process of producing images on a sensitized surface (as a
> film) by the action of radiant energy and especially light

There are some similarities, but according to the definition you posted,
its not a camera that makes photographs, its a camera that senses motion.
August 20, 2005 3:47:23 PM

kz8rt3 wrote:
> Does this a object make photographs??
>

> Here is the a picture of the object: (sorry, it's small)
>
> http://www.oksolar.com/images/Traffic_radar_trailer.jpg
>
> And here are the specs:
>
> http://www.oksolar.com/n_cart/product_details.asp?Produ...
> affic&subcat=DOT%20Speed%20Awareness
>
> A most advanced Portable Radar Speed Display System ever offered to the
> Traffic Safety Industry.
>
> * High efficiency/output 18-inch CMS LED display meets MUTCD
> requirements ‹ 1000+ feet of visibility.
> * Rugged, compact trailer enables easy towing and setup for highway
> and Municipal applications.
> * Extended mounting height of the radar
> display and speed limit sign allows for greater
> visibility and true MUTCD conformance.
> * Solar Powered with Battery Back-up Systems.
> * Violator alert and over-speed features are standard.
> * ITS communication interfacing options available.
> * Accessory device outputs for connecting extra warning lights
> and/or sirens also available.
>

> Think about it and how it is similar to digital camera technology.

It can't take pictures without a camera. They are used in my area to alert drivers that
they are speeding. If it directly led to speeding tickets, I'd know about it because the
grapevine and the local paper keep me informed. At most, it can send a message when a
speeding car is seen,but I doubt that would hold up in court in our area.
Anonymous
August 20, 2005 7:50:19 PM

kz8rt3 wrote:

> Does this a object make photographs??
>
> Here is the a picture of the object: (sorry, it's small)
>
> http://www.oksolar.com/images/Traffic_radar_trailer.jpg
>
> And here are the specs:
>
> http://www.oksolar.com/n_cart/product_details.asp?Produ...
> affic&subcat=DOT%20Speed%20Awareness
>
> A most advanced Portable Radar Speed Display System ever offered to the
> Traffic Safety Industry.
>
> * High efficiency/output 18-inch CMS LED display meets MUTCD
> requirements ‹ 1000+ feet of visibility.
> * Rugged, compact trailer enables easy towing and setup for highway
> and Municipal applications.
> * Extended mounting height of the radar
> display and speed limit sign allows for greater
> visibility and true MUTCD conformance.
> * Solar Powered with Battery Back-up Systems.
> * Violator alert and over-speed features are standard.
> * ITS communication interfacing options available.
> * Accessory device outputs for connecting extra warning lights
> and/or sirens also available.
>
> Think about it and how it is similar to digital camera technology.

No photos, but it has communication interfacing technology as a choice,
so the cop down the road can book you.

Colin D.
Anonymous
August 20, 2005 7:50:20 PM

Colin D <ColinD@killspam.127.0.0.1> wrote:

> No photos, but it has communication interfacing technology as a choice,
> so the cop down the road can book you.

Which is problematic, considering how woefully inaccurate the ones I've
driven past have been at times.

--
Jeremy | jeremy@exit109.com
Anonymous

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm (More info?)

In message <11gejnttbj64418@corp.supernews.com>,
Marvin <physchem@cloud9.net> wrote:

>It can't take pictures without a camera. They are used in my area to alert drivers that
>they are speeding. If it directly led to speeding tickets, I'd know about it because the
>grapevine and the local paper keep me informed. At most, it can send a message when a
>speeding car is seen,but I doubt that would hold up in court in our area.

The scary thing about automated speed-enforcement is that it could be
done quite literally, whereas real police officers know that posted
limits are ridiculously low for low-to-medium volume on dry pavement in
good lighting on many stretches of road, and generally enforce only at
10 to 20 MPH above posted.

One stretch of parkway that I use to commute has a posted 45 MPH speed
limit, and the quality of pavement, width of lanes, etc, have nothing
about them to suggest a speed limit so low. If an automated system
ticketed people going 50 MPH, not only would everyone be getting
ticketed at first, but as soon as people started getting tickets and
driving 45 MPH, there would be massive traffic jams, rendering the road
unusable. It is only usable now because people ignore the ridiculous
posted limit and drive 60 to 75 MPH through the section.
--

<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<>
John P Sheehy <JPS@no.komm>
><<> <>>< <>>< ><<> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>><
Anonymous
August 20, 2005 8:29:32 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm (More info?)

In article <HIadndtivZ-8A5veRVn-vg@giganews.com>,
"Frank ess" <frank@fshe2fs.com> wrote:

> Sheldon wrote:
> > Wow, are you ever in the wrong newsgroup. But, I doubt this is a
> > camera. We have them all over town. They just warn "you" to slow
> > down and take it easy.
> >
> > Any cheap radar detector will find these things.
> >

> Lessee:
> Detects four-dimensional real events.
> Displays its interpretation in a visible medium.
> "Set display modes are adjustable to your needs by use of easy to
> operate switches"
> Hmmm.

FINALLY! YES! Someone sees where I was going with this!

I might have better analogies in the future but I am going to word it
better and wait till these flames cool down . Peace.
Anonymous
August 20, 2005 8:38:26 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm (More info?)

In article <srhi-1E2EFB.09291520082005@news.giganews.com>,
Shawn Hirn <srhi@comcast.net> wrote:

> In article <kz8rt3-701928.18180219082005@news2-ge0.southeast.rr.com>,
> kz8rt3 <kz8rt3@mail.com> wrote:
>
> > Does this a object make photographs??
> >

> > Here is the a picture of the object: (sorry, it's small)
> >
> > http://www.oksolar.com/images/Traffic_radar_trailer.jpg
> >
> > And here are the specs:
> >
> > http://www.oksolar.com/n_cart/product_details.asp?Produ...
> > affic&subcat=DOT%20Speed%20Awareness
> >
> > A most advanced Portable Radar Speed Display System ever offered to the
> > Traffic Safety Industry.
> >
> > * High efficiency/output 18-inch CMS LED display meets MUTCD
> > requirements ‹ 1000+ feet of visibility.
> > * Rugged, compact trailer enables easy towing and setup for highway
> > and Municipal applications.
> > * Extended mounting height of the radar
> > display and speed limit sign allows for greater
> > visibility and true MUTCD conformance.
> > * Solar Powered with Battery Back-up Systems.
> > * Violator alert and over-speed features are standard.
> > * ITS communication interfacing options available.
> > * Accessory device outputs for connecting extra warning lights
> > and/or sirens also available.
> >

> > Think about it and how it is similar to digital camera technology.
> >

> > Main Entry: pho·tog·ra·phy
> > Pronunciation: f&-'t-gr&-fE
> > Function: noun
> > : the art or process of producing images on a sensitized surface (as a
> > film) by the action of radiant energy and especially light
>
> There are some similarities, but according to the definition you posted,
> its not a camera that makes photographs, its a camera that senses motion.

I was thinking about the solar cells that collect light (cmos) and how
that light is turned into a digital signal (ACD) that stores energy
(flash card) then the device creates and image on the light display (LCD
Screen). It is not a representation of the scene (Well, it is a
representation or the scene regarding the speed of the car) but that is
what some camera's and techniques can do. It also sounds like the
technology behind digital.

I know, settle down everyone. It might be a stretch but I think it is
worth talking about. I am interest more in how I can be wrong.

Peace.
Anonymous
August 21, 2005 10:50:21 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm (More info?)

I've checked the accuracy of quite a few speedos - most over-read between 5
and 10%. All the radars in our neck of the woods appear to be spot on.

My other thought is that I'm wondering if the traffic display units keep any
sort of statistical analysis - so that (for example) "X" % of vehicles are
over the limit this fact gets reported, then next week we have the "real
thing" there, instead of the
placebo'.

"Jeremy Nixon" <jeremy@exit109.com> wrote in message
> Colin D <ColinD@killspam.127.0.0.1> wrote:
>
> > No photos, but it has communication interfacing technology as a choice,
> > so the cop down the road can book you.
>
> Which is problematic, considering how woefully inaccurate the ones I've
> driven past have been at times.
>
> --
> Jeremy | jeremy@exit109.com
Anonymous
August 21, 2005 10:50:22 PM

"Cockpit Colin" <spam@nospam.com> wrote in message
> I've checked the accuracy of quite a few speedos - most over-read between
> 5
> and 10%. All the radars in our neck of the woods appear to be spot on.
>
> My other thought is that I'm wondering if the traffic display units keep
> any
> sort of statistical analysis - so that (for example) "X" % of vehicles are
> over the limit this fact gets reported, then next week we have the "real
> thing" there, instead of the
> placebo'.

My understanding it that this is done as you describe in some cases.
Often it is brought on my complaining residents who feel their children are
at risk, etc.
They'll do a "study" of sorts, and then start nailing people until it gains
a reputation for police presence.
It's fairly efective, so long as they continue to appear for enforcement
from time to time.
Anonymous
August 21, 2005 11:16:50 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm (More info?)

"Cockpit Colin" <spam@nospam.com> wrote in message
> I've checked the accuracy of quite a few speedos - most over-read between
> 5
> and 10%. All the radars in our neck of the woods appear to be spot on.
>
> My other thought is that I'm wondering if the traffic display units keep
> any
> sort of statistical analysis - so that (for example) "X" % of vehicles are
> over the limit this fact gets reported, then next week we have the "real
> thing" there, instead of the
> placebo'.

If they get too fancy, people will steal them....They make great pitching
aids.....You can practice your fastball into them......
Anonymous
August 21, 2005 11:20:44 PM

> "Cockpit Colin" <spam@nospam.com> wrote in message
>> I've checked the accuracy of quite a few speedos - most over-read between
>> 5
>> and 10%. All the radars in our neck of the woods appear to be spot on.
>>
>> My other thought is that I'm wondering if the traffic display units keep
>> any
>> sort of statistical analysis - so that (for example) "X" % of vehicles
>> are
>> over the limit this fact gets reported, then next week we have the "real
>> thing" there, instead of the
>> placebo'.
>
> My understanding it that this is done as you describe in some cases.
> Often it is brought on my complaining residents who feel their children
> are at risk, etc.
> They'll do a "study" of sorts, and then start nailing people until it
> gains a reputation for police presence.
> It's fairly efective, so long as they continue to appear for enforcement
> from time to time.

I think they are great in residential neighborhoods.....I am a cat lover,
and I hate it when people speed down residential streets at 15 or 20 miles
over the speed limit. I don't mind it if they do 80 or better on the
freeway, but my cats are poor trusting soles that like to sun themselves on
the warm pavement of the road..........
Anonymous
August 22, 2005 12:09:01 AM

"William Graham" <weg9@comcast.net> wrote in message

>> "Cockpit Colin" <spam@nospam.com> wrote in message
>>> I've checked the accuracy of quite a few speedos - most over-read
>>> between 5
>>> and 10%. All the radars in our neck of the woods appear to be spot on.
>>>
>>> My other thought is that I'm wondering if the traffic display units keep
>>> any
>>> sort of statistical analysis - so that (for example) "X" % of vehicles
>>> are
>>> over the limit this fact gets reported, then next week we have the "real
>>> thing" there, instead of the
>>> placebo'.
>>
>> My understanding it that this is done as you describe in some cases.
>> Often it is brought on my complaining residents who feel their children
>> are at risk, etc.
>> They'll do a "study" of sorts, and then start nailing people until it
>> gains a reputation for police presence.
>> It's fairly efective, so long as they continue to appear for enforcement
>> from time to time.
>>
> I think they are great in residential neighborhoods.....I am a cat lover,
> and I hate it when people speed down residential streets at 15 or 20 miles
> over the speed limit. I don't mind it if they do 80 or better on the
> freeway, but my cats are poor trusting soles that like to sun themselves
> on the warm pavement of the road..........

Agree. Didn't mean to imply otherwise...
Anonymous
August 22, 2005 12:29:12 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm (More info?)

On Sun, 21 Aug 2005 18:50:21 +1200, "Cockpit Colin" <spam@nospam.com>
wrote:

>I've checked the accuracy of quite a few speedos - most over-read between 5
>and 10%. All the radars in our neck of the woods appear to be spot on.
>
>My other thought is that I'm wondering if the traffic display units keep any
>sort of statistical analysis - so that (for example) "X" % of vehicles are
>over the limit this fact gets reported, then next week we have the "real
>thing" there, instead of the
>placebo'.

That could be a two-edged sword. Some places have a law that,
despite a lower posted limit, the limit must be raised if some
percentage (about 85%, IIRC) of cars are routinely exceeding the
limit. Supposed to prevent setting up speed traps.
Anonymous
August 22, 2005 12:29:13 AM

<kashe@sonic.net> wrote in message
> On Sun, 21 Aug 2005 18:50:21 +1200, "Cockpit Colin" <spam@nospam.com>
> wrote:
>
>>I've checked the accuracy of quite a few speedos - most over-read between
>>5
>>and 10%. All the radars in our neck of the woods appear to be spot on.
>>
>>My other thought is that I'm wondering if the traffic display units keep
>>any
>>sort of statistical analysis - so that (for example) "X" % of vehicles are
>>over the limit this fact gets reported, then next week we have the "real
>>thing" there, instead of the
>>placebo'.
>
> That could be a two-edged sword. Some places have a law that,
> despite a lower posted limit, the limit must be raised if some
> percentage (about 85%, IIRC) of cars are routinely exceeding the
> limit. Supposed to prevent setting up speed traps.

The last time I checked with my cats, they had trouble understanding the 85%
part.......
Anonymous
August 22, 2005 8:00:04 AM

William Graham wrote:
>> "Cockpit Colin" <spam@nospam.com> wrote in message
>>> I've checked the accuracy of quite a few speedos - most over-read between
>>> 5
>>> and 10%. All the radars in our neck of the woods appear to be spot on.
>>>
>>> My other thought is that I'm wondering if the traffic display units keep
>>> any
>>> sort of statistical analysis - so that (for example) "X" % of vehicles
>>> are
>>> over the limit this fact gets reported, then next week we have the "real
>>> thing" there, instead of the
>>> placebo'.
>> My understanding it that this is done as you describe in some cases.
>> Often it is brought on my complaining residents who feel their children
>> are at risk, etc.
>> They'll do a "study" of sorts, and then start nailing people until it
>> gains a reputation for police presence.
>> It's fairly efective, so long as they continue to appear for enforcement
>> from time to time.
>>
> I think they are great in residential neighborhoods.....I am a cat lover,
> and I hate it when people speed down residential streets at 15 or 20 miles
> over the speed limit. I don't mind it if they do 80 or better on the
> freeway, but my cats are poor trusting soles that like to sun themselves on
> the warm pavement of the road..........

Keep your cats inside, or run the risk of them becoming 'flat cats'.
It's that simple.

--
Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net
Anonymous

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm (More info?)

news:p ugOe.3963$WO2.3224@fe06.lga...
> William Graham wrote:
>> "Mark²" <mjmorgan(lowest even number here)@cox..net> wrote in message
>>> "Cockpit Colin" <spam@nospam.com> wrote in message

>>> My understanding it that this is done as you describe in some cases.
>>> Often it is brought on my complaining residents who feel their children
>>> are at risk, etc.
>>> They'll do a "study" of sorts, and then start nailing people until it
>>> gains a reputation for police presence.
>>> It's fairly efective, so long as they continue to appear for enforcement
>>> from time to time.
>>>
>> I think they are great in residential neighborhoods.....I am a cat lover,
>> and I hate it when people speed down residential streets at 15 or 20
>> miles over the speed limit. I don't mind it if they do 80 or better on
>> the freeway, but my cats are poor trusting soles that like to sun
>> themselves on the warm pavement of the road..........
> Keep your cats inside, or run the risk of them becoming 'flat cats'. It's
> that simple.

Let them out...and let them be...well...cats!
Anonymous
August 22, 2005 4:47:41 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm (More info?)

news:p ugOe.3963$WO2.3224@fe06.lga...
> William Graham wrote:
>> "Mark²" <mjmorgan(lowest even number here)@cox..net> wrote in message
>>> "Cockpit Colin" <spam@nospam.com> wrote in message

>>> My understanding it that this is done as you describe in some cases.
>>> Often it is brought on my complaining residents who feel their children
>>> are at risk, etc.
>>> They'll do a "study" of sorts, and then start nailing people until it
>>> gains a reputation for police presence.
>>> It's fairly efective, so long as they continue to appear for enforcement
>>> from time to time.
>>>
>> I think they are great in residential neighborhoods.....I am a cat lover,
>> and I hate it when people speed down residential streets at 15 or 20
>> miles over the speed limit. I don't mind it if they do 80 or better on
>> the freeway, but my cats are poor trusting soles that like to sun
>> themselves on the warm pavement of the road..........
> Keep your cats inside, or run the risk of them becoming 'flat cats'. It's
> that simple.

No, there is another alternative. Stop and arrest anyone going more than ten
miles over the speed limit in a residential neighborhood and fine them with
so much money that they can't afford to buy gasoline for 6 months. That
might slow them down a bit. It's not just cats they may run over. We also
have small children in the neighborhood. the speed limit here is 25 MPH.
There is a reason for that. The intersections are mostly blind, for one
thing. So, stopping and looking, at the stop signs is largely a waste of
time. You can't see anything, so how long should you remain stopped? A
minute? An hour? Or one second? - It doesn't matter how long, because you
can't see when it's clear to go, so why stop at all? - If you don't stop,
and someone hits you going 10 miles over the speed limit, he will scream
bloody murder that, "The old geezer didn't stop!" But whose fault is it? If
you do stop, and then go and get hit, he will scream the same thing, and
whose fault is it? I believe it's the fault of the speeder. If he were going
25 MPH, he would have been able to stop in time. That's why the limit is 25.
Anonymous
August 22, 2005 5:00:03 PM

> "Ron Hunter" <rphunter@charter.net> wrote in message
> news:p ugOe.3963$WO2.3224@fe06.lga...
>> William Graham wrote:
>>> "Mark²" <mjmorgan(lowest even number here)@cox..net> wrote in message

>>> I think they are great in residential neighborhoods.....I am a cat
>>> lover, and I hate it when people speed down residential streets at 15 or
>>> 20 miles over the speed limit. I don't mind it if they do 80 or better
>>> on the freeway, but my cats are poor trusting soles that like to sun
>>> themselves on the warm pavement of the road..........
>> Keep your cats inside, or run the risk of them becoming 'flat cats'. It's
>> that simple.
>
> Let them out...and let them be...well...cats!

Yes....I have never had an, "inside cat". I have never really had a cat.
Every cat I have ever "owned" has just wandered in from somewhere else, and
liked the cut of my jib, and stayed. They have never belonged to me in the
first place. A cat is a truly independent animal. He/she belongs to no one
but themselves. But that doesn't mean that I don't become attached to them,
and wouldn't care if they get run down. I care. And, when my wife leaves for
a week or more to visit her grandkids down in California, the cats worry
about her being gone, and look all over the house for her, so I know that
they care, too. One of them, "B-K" (I found him in a Burger King parking
lot) comes into the bedroom and hops up on my chest and checks up on me to
see if I am still alive two or three times a night. He knows that if it
wasn't for me, he would still be living on French fries and onion rings and
anything else that people threw at him for the first year of his
life.....Now, he eats exclusively kibbles, and a bowl of milk that I give
him every evening, and he lives outside 95% of the time.
Anonymous
August 22, 2005 8:41:27 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm (More info?)

> Does this a object make photographs??
>

> Here is the a picture of the object: (sorry, it's small)
>
> http://www.oksolar.com/images/Traffic_radar_trailer.jpg

I think this is an interesting extension of the "When does a photo become a
graphic image" thread. Based on some comments in that other thread, even my
camera doesn't take photographs. <g>

Just as a photograph only shows one aspect of a scene, this device
represents another aspect of a scene - specifically the a snapshot of the
rate of change in spacial orientation of large wheeled objects. :)

I don't think this device takes "photographs", but there must be a higher
class from which photos inherit - "time slice image"?? - this device clearly
does something similar to what cameras do.

--
Mark

Photos, Ideas & Opinions
http://www.marklauter.com
Anonymous
August 23, 2005 12:59:07 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm (More info?)

Cockpit Colin <spam@nospam.com> wrote:

> I've checked the accuracy of quite a few speedos - most over-read between 5
> and 10%. All the radars in our neck of the woods appear to be spot on.

I had my speedometer tested and it was found to be accurate. Most of the
roadside radar thingies seem to be accurate (modulo the angle-of-approach
error) but there are always a few that seem to read high by 5-10 mph.

One assumes that the units in police cars, required to be calibrated
regularly, are more consistent.

--
Jeremy | jeremy@exit109.com
!