Video card upgrade for better FPS in BF3??

bubbarob

Honorable
Jul 23, 2012
Hi All,

My system is as follows:

Core 2 Quad Q9550 (Not Overclocked)
1TB 7200RPM SATA HDD
6GB DDR2 800 RAM
Gigabyte Board
Radeon HD4850 512MB
530W Corsair Power Supply
Windows Home Premium 64-bit

I can't afford an entire system upgrade at this point so I was thinking of upgrading a single component to get the most gain with what I have currently. I was thinking a new video card may be the way to go since I could take it with me to a new build planned for next year.

My budget is around $200, give or take a few dollars and thought about the MSI Nvidia 560 TI. I don't want to get more RAM since I couldn't take it with me to a new build. And an SSD didn't seem like it was the right choice either.

Does the video card seem to be the right purchase to hold me over for a year or so and get more FPS in BF3?

Thanks,

Rob

Augray37

Distinguished
May 4, 2011
You'll probably get some people saying you need to upgrade your whole system, which is sort of true, but in all honesty, I think a good GPU upgrade could eek out an extra year from rig. You want one that is a good deal more powerful than your HD 4850 so that you'll see the difference, but not one that will eat into the somewhat little headroom you have with a 530W PSU.

I was browsing on Newegg for a good GPU, and I came across this...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161406

I know it's a tad more than your budget, but it sure gives a LOT of bang for the buck. It's like an HD 6970 that uses 2/3 the power. It will give you a heck of a GPU for now, and something you can crossfire later if you'd like, which is especially enticing given it's low TDP.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

bubbarob

Honorable
Jul 23, 2012
Thanks all for the replies. I know I need to do a complete rebuild eventually but I only play one game and I am gaming at 1920x1080 with decent FPS on medium/low settings. I just thought a video card would be good as I could take it with me to a new build and even go the crossfire route down the road. I am trying to stretch my 2008 system out for 5 years like I said I would. :lol: When I built the system i was using an 8600 video card.

Thanks for the suggestions.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

Then go with the HD 6870. You'll be able to play BF3 at higher settings, maybe even the highest settings.

bubbarob

Honorable
Jul 23, 2012
Sounds good. I think I will get the 6870 and also pick up a new power supply also. It won't put me much over my budget.

I see three different brands at Newegg. They have an HIS, XFX, and Sapphire all around the same price. Which brand is the most reliable?