Sign in with
Your question

Which GPU?

Last response: in Components
December 5, 2012 2:57:11 AM

I'm looking into a new GPU to replace my 6870. Keep in mind I have a 8120 @ 3.9GHz with the patches.

7970: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
GTX 680: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
GTX 670: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

All of the MSI ones looked better and had more fans. I'm really thinking about the 7970 because it's a great overclocking graphics card (i heard the GPU is to but I mean this model). I'm gonna have around $500 so if you have another GPU in mine I would like to hear it. Im playing at 1080p and I like nice and smooth, high settings graphics so I need a powerful graphics card.

More about : gpu

a c 150 U Graphics card
December 5, 2012 3:09:39 AM

Technically the most powerful card is the HD7970... BUUUT it uses a bit more power. I am sure you have a decent power supply?

Forget the MSI 670 PE, I shy away from those after the whole overvolting episode...

My suggestion at those prices : Definitely the HD7970... Its cheaper AND its faster then the GTX680 and will OC quite a bit more than the already factory OC it has...
December 5, 2012 3:15:21 AM

Novuake said:
Technically the most powerful card is the HD7970... BUUUT it uses a bit more power. I am sure you have a decent power supply?

Forget the MSI 670 PE, I shy away from those after the whole overvolting episode...

My suggestion at those prices : Definitely the HD7970... Its cheaper AND its faster then the GTX680 and will OC quite a bit more than the already factory OC it has...

I have a XFX 750w and whats the "overvolting episode"?
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
December 5, 2012 5:05:38 PM

Novuake said:

Hi :) 

Actually the MOST powerful card is a 7990...but LOTS of money...

All the best Brett :) 
a c 150 U Graphics card
December 5, 2012 5:47:31 PM

Brett928S2 said:

Actually the MOST powerful card is a 7990...but LOTS of money...

I obviously meant from his selection of GPUs...
December 5, 2012 6:00:27 PM

I would get the GTX 670 on personal preference
a c 150 U Graphics card
December 5, 2012 6:03:17 PM

nathanial117 said:

lol any other reasons???
December 5, 2012 7:58:20 PM

nathanial117 said:

Novuake said:
http://www.tomshardware.com/news/MSI-GTX-660-670-overvo...

Overvolting issue. It causes many of these to pop even without an OC, if you are lucky you gain a huge performance boost though... But its a shot in the dark.

Your PSU is sufficient...

@nathanial117 Umm, I choose not to based on the posts so far.
a c 150 U Graphics card
December 5, 2012 9:06:55 PM

Good. Seriously though, the HD7970 is the best by a small margin in your selection and will OC very well too.
December 5, 2012 9:26:10 PM

Novuake said:
Good. Seriously though, the HD7970 is the best by a small margin in your selection and will OC very well too.

So that's the best I can get with my money?
a b U Graphics card
December 5, 2012 9:28:06 PM

melikepie said:
So that's the best I can get with my money?

How much money JUST for the graphics card alone ?

December 5, 2012 9:31:55 PM

Brett928S2 said:

How much money JUST for the graphics card alone ?

Look at the link, bout 500.
a c 150 U Graphics card
December 5, 2012 9:37:31 PM

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

That is also a very good cheaper option with a better cooler than the MSI and its a GHZ edition(newest).
It also has a boost function that the MSI does not have. This boost allows it to dynamically clock itself to 1050Mhz, 43Mhz higher than the factory OC of the MSI.

It has Vapor-X cooling technology which has won many awards for excellent cooling without being loud...
December 5, 2012 10:04:54 PM

Novuake said:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

That is also a very good cheaper option with a better cooler than the MSI and its a GHZ edition(newest).
It also has a boost function that the MSI does not have. This boost allows it to dynamically clock itself to 1050Mhz, 43Mhz higher than the factory OC of the MSI.

It has Vapor-X cooling technology which has won many awards for excellent cooling without being loud...

The one I was getting has a Twin Frozr cooler and has a 1070 OC.
a c 150 U Graphics card
December 5, 2012 10:23:12 PM

Ah sorry missread... Well if you compare noise and temps in the below review you can see that the Sapphire cooler is much better than the Twin-frozer cooler the lightning has AND its cheaper.

http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/4883/sapphire_radeon_h...

Effectively better temps and quieter operation will allow to to OC the Sapphire Vapor-x card more than the MSI R7970 Lightning.
December 5, 2012 10:36:00 PM

Novuake said:
Ah sorry missread... Well if you compare noise and temps in the below review you can see that the Sapphire cooler is much better than the Twin-frozer cooler the lightning has AND its cheaper.

http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/4883/sapphire_radeon_h...

Effectively better temps and quieter operation will allow to to OC the Sapphire Vapor-x card more than the MSI R7970 Lightning.

Hmm, I'm sadly not looking to self overclock the cards but how much of a difference in the frame rate would I see between these two?
a c 150 U Graphics card
December 5, 2012 11:09:02 PM

The MSI lightning will give you more FPS but only very slightly, like 1-2 FPS.

I don't believe its worth the extra 40 Dollars when you can just as easily increase a simple slider setting in AMD Catalyst control center that will equal the 1070MHz OC for free without ANY risk.
December 5, 2012 11:15:00 PM

Novuake said:
The MSI lightning will give you more FPS but only very slightly, like 1-2 FPS.

I don't believe its worth the extra 40 Dollars when you can just as easily increase a simple slider setting in AMD Catalyst control center that will equal the 1070MHz OC for free without ANY risk.

Well, the MSI one has double the power input available for the GPU so overclocking won't be a problem but what can I do with the other one?
a c 150 U Graphics card
December 6, 2012 12:29:16 AM

Unlocked Digital Power

- Unlocked BIOS: One click to unlock all protections for extreme overclocking
- Digital PWM Controller: More stable and precise voltage by digital signal
- Enhanced Power Design: 2X Power output for maximum OC potential

Do you mean the above???

That's just marketing my friend. The Sapphire card has identical power input...

One 6-pin PCI-e and one 8-pin PCI-e power input... EXACTLY the same...

The major differences in the card are :

MSI has a higher factory clockrate giving you very little more fps. 20MHz (which is nothing).

The Sapphire card will be quieter and will cool the graphics better. Allowing for a better OC.

These are the ONLY considered differences you should consider...

EDIT : Almost forgot, the price also needs to be considered.
The MSI is quite a bit more expensive so its hands down that the Sapphire is better. MSI is a good brand but in this case the Sapphire comes out ahead...
December 6, 2012 12:54:49 AM

Novuake said:
Unlocked Digital Power

- Unlocked BIOS: One click to unlock all protections for extreme overclocking
- Digital PWM Controller: More stable and precise voltage by digital signal
- Enhanced Power Design: 2X Power output for maximum OC potential

Do you mean the above???

That's just marketing my friend. The Sapphire card has identical power input...

One 6-pin PCI-e and one 8-pin PCI-e power input... EXACTLY the same...

The major differences in the card are :

MSI has a higher factory clockrate giving you very little more fps. 20MHz (which is nothing).

The Sapphire card will be quieter and will cool the graphics better. Allowing for a better OC.

These are the ONLY considered differences you should consider...

EDIT : Almost forgot, the price also needs to be considered.
The MSI is quite a bit more expensive so its hands down that the Sapphire is better. MSI is a good brand but in this case the Sapphire comes out ahead...

Cool, but the thing is that it's not that much more and that it looks cooler and has nice features. Still thinking about it.
a c 150 U Graphics card
December 6, 2012 1:10:02 AM

Features are pretty much the same as far as I can see.

But yes, if you are willing to pay 40 Dollars because you like the look of it, sure... Seems like a decent reason...
December 6, 2012 2:13:23 AM

Novuake said:
Features are pretty much the same as far as I can see.

But yes, if you are willing to pay 40 Dollars because you like the look of it, sure... Seems like a decent reason...

Well $40 could buy a game, after all it comes with %20 off MOH Warfighter.
a c 150 U Graphics card
December 6, 2012 2:16:06 AM

melikepie said:
Well $40 could buy a game, after all it comes with %20 off MOH Warfighter.

Both come with game coupons.
December 6, 2012 2:18:58 AM

Novuake said:
Both come with game coupons.

Yes but I will have the money to use the last coupon if I get the cheaper one. Still trying to think
a c 150 U Graphics card
December 6, 2012 2:24:26 AM

melikepie said:
Yes but I will have the money to use the last coupon if I get the cheaper one. Still trying to think

LOL its an easy decision is you don't consider that you like how the MSI looks.

The Sapphire is cheaper AND better...
December 6, 2012 2:32:04 AM

Novuake said:
LOL its an easy decision is you don't consider that you like how the MSI looks.

The Sapphire is cheaper AND better...

It's very hard.
Have you ever wondered which do you eat a apple or a orange? That's how I feel :( .
a c 150 U Graphics card
December 6, 2012 2:33:30 AM

lol i don't like oranges so its easy...
December 6, 2012 2:34:45 AM

Novuake said:

WELL MAYBE I DO
:( 
December 6, 2012 2:37:00 AM

Novuake said:

!